Unfairness of Luck?

luck is 100% equally distributed among players, if enough hands are played.

1 Like

Summed it up perfectly !!! The Luck will come to all and it sure helps if you play your cards right. GL everyone at the table’s, enjoy the fellowship and always have Fun !!!

1 Like

I should add when the luck comes, whether Lotto, Poker or anything in life including health, enjoy the moment!

1 Like

There is every reason to be in agreement with your statement. But first, you should know that this game system, like other online poker systems, does not burn cards. The excuse given for this practice is that it’s unnecessary. But this means that what you see on the flop is what would ordinarily be a burn card plus the first 2 cards of the flop. The turn is what would otherwise be the 3rd card of the flop, and the river is what would ordinarily be a burn. How do I know this? Replay customer service explained this to me some time ago.

Then again, a digital shuffle is not the same as what any individual human dealer might perform. A dealer trainer showed me the finer points of shuffling cards. If performed perfectly it’s going to randomize the cards in a certain way. It requires lots of practice and attention to detail. But many dealers don’t have such refined technique. Their shuffle might occasionally (or regularly) be “clumpy.” Some dealers (especially at home games) may not perform the standard shuffle 2x/box/shuffle procedure. Even if they do, their box might be 4 cuts instead of 3. Or maybe just 2. So what constitutes a “realistic” shuffle? Does the Replay shuffle perform the equivalent of shuffle 2x, 3-cut box, final shuffle, maybe with some occasional clumpiness thrown in? Who knows.

I discussed this non-burn approach with several professional dealers. Each of them agreed that it influences the outcome of the game compared to real-world dealing. But none of them could say that it offers any particular advantage or disadvantage to any given player over the long run.

BTW, none of that is in defense of Replay’s shuffle. I have serious reservations about it but that’s another story. But to your point about realism, the question to ask is “what constitutes a realistic shuffle?” Turns out that it’s an extraordinarily hard question to answer given all the variation you can expect from human dealers.

1 Like

Not only that but there is a famous quote which I don’t think is being done with the Replay deal.

“Trust everyone, but always cut the cards.” - Benny Binion

2 Likes

Poker is a game of skill and patience.

lady luck is a fickle gal.

depending solely on luck puts you on the skirts with little chance

1 Like

much like the Kenny Roger’s song; you gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em

1 Like

Here is another one. unlucky hand:

“Poker is a combination of luck and skill. People think mastering the skill part is hard, but they’re wrong. The trick to poker is mastering the luck.”
Jesse May

1 Like

ok this is not a unluckey hand this is a redistrbution of wealth at its best. take from a 3,500 player and give to a 350,000 player it was a stupid move rewared by replay poker to an idot if he doest win he will soon move on //heaven forbid. razorstrop

1 Like

Replay Poker has nothing to do with rewarding a player chips in a game. It was luck to catch the 3rd 3 on the river for trips and the win. Good on him!

1 Like

As you think so you become!

Luck is the residue of desire!

Any perceived problem at the poker table cannot be solved at the level that it’s created.

What is it that you really want?

Your thoughts manufacture your reality.

What are you “broadcasting” to the Universe?

If you’re having trouble remembering bad beats then this short story will help you!

Two monks are walking along a river. (They aren’t allowed to touch women)

They come across a woman crying.

She cannot cross the river without help.

So one monk picks her up and carries her across the river.

Both monks then continue walking.

About an hour and a half later the other monks asks, " How could you pick up a woman? "

The other monk replies, " I dropped her off an hour and a half ago! Why are you still carrying her? "

So be aware of that moment of choice!

If you choose correctly, then the negativity just doesn’t exist!

Excaliburns

This was a good find on the unfairness of luck in poker.

Bad" Luck Is Necessary

One last thing to keep in mind regarding luck in poker. To many, the luck factor is possibly one of the most frustrating aspects of the game. This is understandable. Nobody likes to get the money in as a huge favorite, only to see an opponent catch his or her miracle card.

However, this luck factor is precisely the reason why we can make money in this game. This is the only way less skilled players and unsophisticated gamblers will give us action regardless of who we are.

In poker, anyone can learn the rules today and then sit down with the world champion and win the first hand they play. That cannot happen in chess. But that is also the reason why we do not see amateurs challenging Magnus Carlsen (the current World Chess Champion) for hundreds of thousands of dollars like they would a player like Phil Ivey.

Having a chance can make all the difference in the world, even if — or, rather, especially if it is a tiny chance. Don’t be frustrated by luck in poker. Be glad about it!

Konstantinos “Duncan” Palamourdas is a math professor who specializes in the mathematics of poker. When not at the poker tables, Duncan can be found teaching poker classes at UCLA extension to people of all levels.

2 Likes

A new awareness reuniting into our true nature!

RIP Got_A_Light

Being glad about luck in poker?

Understanding it and accepting it at the moment of truth, is a choice!

I enjoyed reading your posts

Excaliburns

1 Like

It’s not a choice, you don’t have a choice. You just accept it. Luck is what lucky is…

1 Like

If you go deeper into the root cause of someone going off the deep end at the poker table experiencing bad luck, it is their choice reacting to it in a negative way. So many cannot grasp it as a choice at that moment in time. Not only in poker but in whatever life might throw at someone. I understand your point of view. When you say, " Don’t be frustrated by luck in poker " We’re actually in agreement! I can also understand your point being glad about the way poker is structured. It’s an interesting way of looking at it which caught my eye and I’m glad you took the time to point out those facts.

Excaliburns

3 Likes

Choose to be positive no matter how the cards fall. Some will win, some will lose. Poker is a combination of skill and luck. Choose your emotions wisely.

1 Like

The deal! Just a slice of the topic of luck. But since you brought it up. And this is just my opinion having played their tables for several years. Online poker has to be fair to all players in the sense that each player has a chance of winning any given hand. They have to do this to be able to say that it is “random” and fair at their site. That said…this does not mean that the cards are not manipulated by an algorithm. Poker can be extremely boring when played live. But online, oh my can they ever make it exciting!! Have you ever wondered why when you fold rags, they hit big, like two pair or a straight or flush on the flop? It is part of the algorithm. Most players will have gotten some sort of hand that may look like a winner. Makes you want to play more hands doesn’t it. Good for the game right? The online game anyway, where you can’t really spend time trying to read the other players face, and actions at the table. So play it for what it is worth. But don’t use it for practice for a real game, you will get clobbered. Good “LUCK” and have fun everyone!

3 Likes

Replay Poker is certified by a Random Number Generator. So what your saying is someone went on after the certification and changes the algorithm of the deal ?

1 Like

In the continuum of time even short time bad luck can last thousands of years. Patient players know good cards will come their way —**NOT.

In the bell curve there has to be someone to be that that little dot way over on the loser side.

Bingo players that go all in on every hand are gambling rather than playing poker, but they always seem to have the most profitable chip totals.

I see people whip my a-- all the time and I figure they’ll pass me up in the rankings like I’m riding in a car going the speed limit, yet when I look at their total bank they are millions behind me.

Poker is definitely not my game but I enjoy playing it. Poker----answering the question **Can a loser still win???

Poker is a zero sum game, meaning for someone to win a chip someone else has to lose a chip. The sooner you fold a losing hand the better.

There’s a reason I play a **no money ** game.

In case any of you are wondering why every government in the western world outlawed sending money offshore to poker sites, its because they were stealing from us. Dont argue with me, argue with your government.

Australia doesnt even have a poker site we can gamble on, because they closed them down for the same reason PokerStars is in court right now. They cant prove their software is fair. Again, dont argue with me, argue with your government.

So the correct response when someone is questioning their luck, is, “this is just entertainment, not real poker”

3 Likes