Stalling at the tables

Why do some players stall every time it’s their turn, when they are in a hand it takes a couple minutes to play the hand. Even at the final table they continue to stall with no advantage to gain. Is it just to get on other players nerves and make them tilt? Just wondering what others think about it.

1 Like

The timer only extends to about 10 or 20 seconds depending on the table Speed settings, so I do not know where you get a “couple minutes” from.

There are various reasons why players would use the clock to the limit, anything from a sluggish internet connection to a laggy table, or if there’s a difficult decision to be made.

3 Likes

There are many tools in the game of poker. The clock is indeed one of them and I don’t believe anyone should be telling others how to use the available tools. Also as mentioned there are many reasons someone may use the full limit of the clock. Thankfully the clock is there for a reason for us all, which ensures the games aren’t slowed even more. gl at the tables

2 Likes

Most of the players who stall are doing it to get attention–and that’s one way to get it. Others simply like to annoy other players. Perhaps some others are playing at other tables.
Whichever it is, its poor poker etiquette–players who know how to play do not use any of these tactics–usually just the jerks

1 Like

WHY? Not worth analysing these trolls psychology too deeply IMO. Okay so there is indeed some slow player who might be genuinely be slow with no intention to be a troll. Some players also have internet, or RP issues. Maybe RP is stalling at the tables? lol

My question is WHY more players are not more vocal about how this “stalling” hurts poker and makes it more boring to play!

I have experienced this frustrating behavior as well. I believe sometimes it is a technical matter (ie poor connection) and some players really do need that time. Sometimes the slow player is playing multiple tables (in which case it is possible to use that against them) I also believe it is used as a tactic (one of the very few psychological tactics possible in online poker) and if you let it get to you then it has succeeded. You have just gifted that player with an edge to use against you. What I do is stay away from the slow ring game tables and in tournaments I recognize it for what it is and ignore it. There is no sense in getting frustrated about something you have absolutely no control over and which is completely within the rules. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I confess that I was on both sides of the situation. On some occasions I ended up exceeding the time limit because I was playing at more than one table. There are some players who do this all the time, I never got angry, but sometimes I found it boring, but nowadays I don’t mind, everyone plays the way they want, the thing is to stay calm and not let a silly tactic, taking too long to play could be a reason to go on tilt.

1 Like

There are two table speeds available: normal and turbo. Normal tables give you 20 seconds to make your move, while turbo tables only have 10 seconds. To find the turbo games, look for the lightening bolt on the left side of the lobby list. If it’s highlighted, then it’s a turbo table.

3 Likes

It does happen to a lot of us when playing 2 -3 tables even we we try to prevent it due to circumstances at one of the tables at times

Hello Litenin, this is true. Get off topic and don’t want to be annoying. However, just to contribute to the site, I inform you that again half of the marathon finals do not appear in the lobby. This time the hold em finals are not visible. Let’s hope that they appear by Saturday and that the problems that occurred in the hi/lo finals of the chrstmas marathon are repeated.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up and agree, don’t want the same thing to happen again.

Yep, I see, will send info to the Replay team to check on. @Chasetheriver . Also as a reminder everyone can inform replay of any issues, by sending an e-mail to support@replaypoker.com Great support staff!!!

1 Like

Hi @PokerBR2020

Thanks for pointing that out. The Hold’em Finals are appearing today. I see the 05:15 is up now.

Omaha have been there all this week. Wanted to make sure they are fixed.

Rob

Hi Chasetheriver, I just noticed, one of the 5:15 hold finals is available in the lobby. We are waiting for the other finals. Thanks for the feedback. Hug

The problem for some may be the internet server they use is slow. As well you have to consider that some people are contemplating the odds. Go to the faster speed tables as indicated on the left in the lobby could be a solution to your problems.
jsef

2 Likes

I use the clock when someone is short stacked and the blinds are increasing to uncomfortable levels.

1 Like

It is incorporated into strategy’s at times, However I think if the clock runs out perhaps there should be a penalty of maybe double ante loss or forced sit out of next hand

Those are good suggestions!

1 Like

I feel I may have committed terrible sins when I nip through to make a coffee without sitting out :scream:

1 Like

I don’t think, I was very specific as an idea. But only if clock runs out a certain amount of consecutive times, which would the player is continuously running the clock out

I have to say, as frustrating as playing with someone who repeatedly runs the clock down is, it is within the rules and I don’t believe it is appropriate to penalize someone who is playing within the rules just because I don’t like how that person is playing. I am the one with the problem not them. The penalty is already in place, if you run the clock out then your hand is auto checked or folded. Personally I just switch tables if I am playing ring, and just deal with it if I am in a tournament. Perhaps there could be some super lightning games for those who get too frustrated by the slower players. Also, trying to put someone on tilt is as much a part of the game as the cards are themselves. I believe the saying is: “play the player…”. :grinning: c u at the tables…

2 Likes