Game chat

Hey moderator, over here pronto…

1 Like

Not sure I get this, Sarah - as a PRep I am a rep for players. I’m here to play first and foremost. Next I’m here to help other players with their questions or concerns. Third, I’m there to guide folks on staying “in-bounds” when chat seems to be headed “out of bounds”. The Code of Conduct is fairly clear on what is acceptable and what is not… That said, new players are apt to not even know that there is a CoC and it’s important that they are directed to it. Fourth, I’m here to promote having fun on the site and making it even better for players of all levels. A little “trash talking” is fine within reason. Outright insults and offensive language is not. RPP is pretty clear about that.

I try to assess the “flavor” of a table and whether the folks there are familiar with each other or not before I caution anyone for what’s in the chat. Then, when necessary, I start out with a “Careful” comment to let player(s) know that they’re venturing, or actually, “out-of-bounds”. Most of the time this approach works for me. My goal, in conjunction with RPP, is for everyone to have a fun and friendly experience.

• Kids - Frankly, I don’t think there should be any on here under 16. Preferably, not under 18.

• Frustrating Players - Yes, I too would like to call the bingo player a moron, dingbat, donk, nonothing imbecile. That impulse isn’t “fun and friendly” and ignores the possiblility that the player is new to poker, a “kid”, or someone playing just to get a negative reaction. Be a cat, I say to myself, and wait for really good cards to take their stack or move to another table.

*If you must comment on their “play”, perhaps point out how impressed you are with their strategy. You know, something along the lines of "wow, that all-in maximized the potential of your “hand” - really?

Bottom line - I’m here to enjoy some great poker, learn to play better, meet some great folks and have fun. Don’t distract me from my game by violating the CoC and ruining other player’s experience. That just isn’t “fun” for anyone.

See you on the tables!
Ron

5 Likes

lol

2 Likes

wizard,
We’ve ( forum ) gone thru this before… what is a PRep…

By its very deffinition, it would be a “players’s representative”, but infact after a long thread on this… PReps are SReps instead (Staff Representatives)… a PRep should be like a Union Rep, taking the concerns of the players and representing the players to the staff (company).

Even " if " PReps were that, then they wouldn’t be Mods, or they’d be a Mod. I see a different possible “job description”, so if someone is both then they’d be on both lists (Mods/PReps) , but thats not the case either.

So no @vtpcwizard , I stand by my statement, the group of ppl called PReps are more SReps than anything else… or read thru What is a player rep? - #155 by Craig_Anthony

1 Like

to confusing for me.

1 Like

just as simple as that !!! we speak the same language , I so do concur !! nice answer Bro !!!

1 Like

Sarah isn’t wrong and Ron isn’t wrong. After thinking about this; they are both right.

Here is the misunderstanding:

“Player Rep”, the term, means “Players Representative,” and they are appointed by management to in general deal with issues concerning the player, and to bring to management thoughts, ideas, and feelings of the players, that is, to be amongst the players without being amongst the players.

Sarah and many other players on the other hand understand the term more formally in the political context. Democracy’s major component is in part the free election of elected representatives by the people. And as an elected representatives of the people it is their duty to interact in the government and to pursue the people’s interests.

Appointed representatives here are not constituted in the same way government, to make changes; this is management’s prerogative. Their duties are to help the players to know the rules and policies and also when they meet as a group to share ideas and desires of players.

I think we who participate on the forum think we are the representatives of the players. I don’t think that bears out either. I recently posted a questionnaire on here with the desired hope that I would get numerous responses regarding SnGs. Only one person from the forum bothered to answer. When I sent the same questionnaire out to almost 80 of my SnG playing friends, I received 40 responses. I presented the answers to management with the hope that it helped them determine any changes in the way SnGs are run.

In this sense I was the SnGs unelected, self-appointed, player’s representative. As Ron described his duties, in a very real way he does act on the players’ behalf.

Like I said Sarah and Ron are both right.

Scratch

1 Like

The only real misunderstanding is you have to be a Player Representative in order to understand a Player Representative.

I get it, I was one.

1 Like

private responses shouldn’t be considered to determine any changes made… just saying

1 Like

Two things: Management has its own way of deciding things and I knew that going in; I recognized I was submitting a small portion of players, though I will say the sampling was from the most active SnG players. Of the 8K to 10K of regular players we have playing every day, the forum contributors is a very small portion. I sometimes get the feeling that people here think they are the player reps. I think is we are interested people chatting about this and that, nothing more, nothing less.

Scratch

I respectfully disagree. Before I was a moderator I understood what it was to be a moderator as I made the effort to exchange with a moderator. When I was invited on I learned more about being a moderator.

I think everybody here, through this discourse knows what it is to be a Players Representative. It took me a little bit to understand but I got it and get it. Much of the discussion has been about semantics and definition.

Scratch

2 Likes

Yeah, like a union shop steward in a union organized by the company…

This sounds so insidious as if there is some sort of conspiracy going on.

Replay Poker earns its profits by making the site attractive enough so that a small proportion of the players will like it enough to spend money for otherwise free chips. I guess somebody could make the argument that the conspiracy is that we who have won tens of millions of chips have done so from the folly of paying customers, and hence we are coconspirators.

As logical as that sounds I don’t buy it one iota.

Scratch

PS - Hey Paul, I want a percentage!!!

2 Likes

I agree with this statement , I just wish more would give their opinion on here before changes are made . I also think that the site should do what is best for the site to keep players interested.

3 Likes

Do not be paranoid…as the company says, we are just trying to take care of you…

1 Like

Well if you get it and got it like you said then you don’t disagree with me. Correct ?

Is it fair to say you have to walk in their shoes which is the same thing as I said ?

I don’t understand the part where you say “ before I was a moderator I understood what is was to be a moderator because you asked questions? “

I ask my cardiologist questions all the time but I don’t make statements that I understand what it’s like to be a cardiologist.

If you care to expand on the players rep role you can after all this is a discussion but I stand by my original statement “ respectfully “…

1 Like

“Is it fair to say you have to walk in their shoes which is the same thing as I said?”

Sorry, I don’t believe it is fair to say. We humans have a great capacity to understand things even though we have not done those things. There are exceptions no doubt, but Player Reps is very understandable.

"I don’t understand the part where you say ‘before I was a moderator I understood what is was to be a moderator because you asked questions?’“

You don’t understand maybe because you misquoted me. Again, I said: “Before I was a moderator I understood what it was to be a moderator as I made the effort to exchange with a moderator.” This means that before I was asked to be a moderator I had talked with a few seasoned moderators to learn what the job was all about.

Much regards,

Scratch

1 Like

I’m trying to have a meaningful discussion here as to what is is to be a Player Representative because I was one. One cannot assume to know if you haven’t been one. I also disagree with your statement that because we are human beings we have a great capacity to understand things even though we have not done them.

I wouldn’t want you to do a triple bypass on me some day Doctor if I needed it just because you understand it and talked to a surgeon.

Make sense to you yet ? I’m trying my best…Sir.

Yes, I know you were a players rep. I know you were a Marine. I know you buy and sell domain names. I know what disorders you have. I know you have been in business. I know you have tattoos. I know where you are from. I know you are the owner of Cool Kids. I know you are a good poker player. You have stated it and discussed it all. It was good of you for being a players rep.

I wasn’t a players rep but I sure know what they are and what they do. In the end I guess we have to agree to disagree.

Scratch

If I may jump in here, I think both of you (Scatch and Craig_Anthony) have valid points. There are valid perspectives about having learned, in depth, the duties, performance, expectations of a particular “role” and actually “performed” the “role”.

In my experience, knowing deeply about a role doesn’t match the experience of actually performing that same role. Several times I’ve had the privilege of taking on a roll I believed I was fully ready for. I am thankful for the subsequent lessons learned in that role that I had absolutely no prior awareness of despite the preparation for that role.

That I’ve been successful in such is a testament to the “mentors” available to me at the time to guide me along the way. There’s a saying that I don’t profess to know exactly but is something along the lines of " until you’ve walked in their shoes, be cautious about judging the course taken." Peace. Out.

3 Likes