Game chat

If the site is going to allow minors to play, maybe they should consider having those accounts cut off from chat entirely? That would allow 13 year olds to play but insulate them from subject matters they shouldn’t be parties to. Adults would be free to chat as adults and still allow minors to enjoy the game. I don’t have kids but I can’t imagine many parents would want their teenagers chatting with adults online anyway.

It should be possible to give all parties much, if not all of what they are looking for.

5 Likes

I agree with you 100% Warlock

If you want to watch kids play , go to the park , oh wait if there are bratty ones there and you have no button to press for help what will you do?Don’t get me wrong I love kids but not on my poker table, if they want to learn to play let their parents teach them.

2 Likes

Oh yeah; it’s very clear and I might add, understanding as well. There are no children allowed at a 55 and over community and in almost all of them you can play live poker!

Scratch

3 Likes

Am I missing something , are you saying that I don’t love kids ? I have four of them and volunteered many many hours at their schools , I am just saying an online poker room is no place for kids.

This is my point !

3 Likes

I know a seventeen year-old who has played here since Apr, 2014 and was last seen: 4 months ago. He played and plays independently from his mother, who many of you know as she is a daily player. He has earned 255,000+ chips. I believe Warlock and Sharon have played with him and surely her. I am equally sure there are many more young folks who have played here longer and that most of them, like the one I know, didn’t bother a soul.

By the way, here is the policy of the site: “Replay Poker is an adult site intended for players age 18 and over. However, we allow players ages 13-17 to create an account – with the consent of a legal guardian who must read and agree to our Terms of Service. Preteens, (under the age of 13) are not permitted to play poker on the Replay Poker site.”

I’m not sure that they followed the rules and registered, and I don’t think it is my business to ask. I invited them because I knew that the moderators, and now player reps, keep this place civil.

Scratch

2 Likes

If there was a universal age mgmt system on the web, then this is a solve-able problem…

(Coughs) - Since no current system exsists ( web wide ) other than require’n a payment using a traditional instrument for such transactions, and Replay Poker remains Free2play … there is no way to accurately police the playerbase for underage players.

I see no way currently, to take age restricted actions against anyone such as chat restricted.
I am also against any other identifier other than “Over 21” and “Under 21”…

1 Like

I know no teenager who would like to be in a coffee-shop, a pub, a discotheque or whatever surrounded by “old” people.
I don’t think it’s different here, where the chat must be terribly boring for them. So why don’t you create 2-3 tourneys for “under 18” (or 21) only, where teenagers can chat according to their interests?
The adults could chat at leisure somewhere else without any danger of “corrupting the youth”. Although, according to my experience, bad manners are rather found among young people than among old ones. :slight_smile:
Mirella

2 Likes

Since the title of this thread is Game Chat let me add this to the “Chat” part.

As a former administrator for many websites over the years let me say this;

It is the internet. You cannot tell if someone is 10 or 100 years old. You cannot tell if the person is a girl or a guy. You cannot ask for indentification.( for many reasons )

What you can do is assemble a team that is hyper vigilant to monitor the chat and take notes like we have here now with Player Reps and Moderators.

Sooner or later you can weed out the juveniles and keep them out of conversations. A poker site is no place for kids.

I am sure you have all heard the phrase “ seen but not heard “.

Mute the juveniles chat.

2 Likes

Yes,I totally agree Sharon. People on a poker site need to not be so thinned skinnedand this is the only site I know of that allows minors to play.Maybe when this site first started they opened it to 13 yr olds just to get people to join? I think the mute button is good enough for table chat,i seldom see anything that gets this little red hens feathers ruffled lol…
Reddy

2 Likes

The age should at least be changed from 13 to 16 to be able to play.Of course 13 year olds will still play and just say they are 16 , nothing we can do about that but at least we could assume that they are of age. I am not saying at all that it is the young ones who disrupt the tables , I have seen many old farts with no manners whatsoever , this is life , on and off the internet.I just feel like the site uses the “Its a family site” to supervise chat to a point that it gets ridiculous what gets reported. I have called an idiot an idiot and a moron a moron and don’t even get me started on aholes, I have also been called those names , did I cry about it and report them , hell no. I do believe that supervision on chat is necessary though cause some people just get downright nasty and there is no excuse for that, but losing chat for a day for calling someone who plays like a moron a donk is just crazy. Most players play here for fun , a way to meet and chat with people , poker banter ( not outright being nasty ) is part of that and is what makes playing fun . Like I said I have been called lots of things but never a “kid hater” , thanks to Scratch I can now add that to the list of names I’ve been called.

3 Likes

Please don’t add that to your list Sharon. One thing I know for sure in getting to know you is that you are one of the best parents I have ever met and mentoring and helping other children is surely imbedded in your heart.

If some of these people even knew …

Happy thoughts please ok ?

2 Likes

Nobody likes to be attributed with saying something they did not say. This includes me. In fact, I responded to your sarcasm with my sarcasm, and that’s all I did. Even if I had said “Sharon doesn’t like children,” it is a far cry from the truth, which is “Sharon doesn’t like children at Replay Poker.”

My mistake I will change from Sharon hates kids to … Sharon doesn’t like children on replay.

2 Likes

Wow, “hyper vigilant”…how much do they pay those guys?

1 Like

Well, that is not necessariiy an insult…

1 Like

2 days ago, on a table, this guy just says “f u” to someone, I’m like… hey, that was a bit uncalled for… (then…a couple sentences later) If ur gonna do that, just give them a FoolUs trophy like on Penn&Teller… what do I get back , another off color comment … so unworthy of remembering, I don’t …
Did I go run to a Mod, No
Did I report the guy, No
After a few comments he busted and was gone, or I couldda just muted him…

As Sharon says, " its not helping to ban/mute ppl for table banter. "
Yet by the very rules of CoC/ToS, simple table banter can violate stuff … You then have distinctions of “you’re a moron” “you’re being a moron” “that was a moron move”… only 1 (semantically) is a real “insult”, and a lame one @ that…

This cross’s with thread What is acceptable? (Or not acceptable) - #51 by county29
and a few more threads , I’m sure…

What Sharon describes as needing “moderation” is when it just gets outta hand, any chat or msg board works the same way… It does not really do any good to get “moderation after the fact”. Its not solving a problem, its all just about punishment, and can be a huge time sink in some cases.

@pokerplayer04 ,
is right, " a simple “call a mod” button, gets help in real-time", and usually solves the problem so further interaction isn’t necessary… Since “PReps” aren’t really reps for player(s)/player groups… then yeah, just a “call a mod button”. Yes that also means there would be more mods than PPreps, no problem there… or shouldn’t be … One person’s trash is another person’s treasure… that’s why you have Mods, for real-time Moderation…

I can’t sit and play poker without chat at the tables, and if everyone is too quiet… then I’m xtra Sassy… its all in good fun, or should be… and I will say that too… but it won’t stop me from egg’n someone on, if their on mini-tilt and I see an opportunity… I tend to get away from the “zzzzzzz”, but from time to time sure… I don’t see it as being disruptive.

Since we all have the ability to “mute” other players @ a table, ( hopefully soon, watchers too ) on a per person basis… they we all are our own mods, aren’t we ? its not like the forum where you can’t just mute someone else, Fizzy has to… So on a poker table, we all are our own mods… The only reason really to have mods for tables is so a problem is resolved, and the players don’t have to keep muting other players because nothing got handled already.

Remember folks, just as there’s always a person behind an account… So too is there “the spirit of the rules”, which the actual rules are typed out from… Its more that “spirit of the rules” that any website wants their members to conform to, for everyone’s benefit. The list for CoC/ToS is need’d for transparency, and is as much for legal reasons than anything else.

1 Like

I agree tables without chat are so boring that sometimes, ok all times, I will make a comment or two just to get some sort of reaction to know that there are actual people sitting . Some times I will just talk to myself on the table , tell myself nh , ty and yw if this bothers players , they can mute me . This sometimes breaks the ice on the table and a player might respond with “loser” but a few more might start saying nh or ask where in Canada I am from. I really don’t care what their response is , just want any type of chat that shows players are with the living.

2 Likes

Players are with the living lol.

That’s good :+1:t2:

1 Like

Are you calling me dead? Because if that is the case I am calling a moderator.

1 Like

Since you don’t actually talk on the tables , I doubt that you would talk to a Moderator when one showed up. So be my guest. :slight_smile:

1 Like