Do you remember the Huge Losses or the Huge Wins?

Do you remember the Huge Losses or the Huge Wins ?

I believe we all have experienced in the great game of Poker, some Huge Losses & Huge Wins. Which one of the two, do you remember the most? And why?

Has that memory helped you improve your strategies and game to improve your bankroll in the game’s here at Replay?

1 Like

I play a fairly conservative BRM strategy so the wins & losses are not so HUGE! I think its probably 50/50 for me although I cant remember specifics.

I feel most losses are more interesting and memorable.

I lost about 100K in ring when I had only about maybe 200K with a big hand like AK or AQ against a maniac player I was getting impatient with, which meant I had to drop to lower stakes.

I dont play MTT much but I’ve won a few or got to final table many times. So those are entertaining and memorable. Its prob the difference between ring & MTT.

I remember very few biggest pots won in ring but I remember many big pots lost!

I wonder if players have different memories in losses and wins based on ring, MTT or SnG, bc I certainly do.

I played on full tilt back in the day, I was just a micro stakes player and although rarely won much my cash would last for quite a while before a downturn would come and I would bust out. And I would put another £10 or £20 in.
However towards the end of my poker life, I had two significant wins in tournaments which more than negated my losses. I remember the hands, both times by sheer coincidence about 6 weeks apart I had 10 J spades heads up and came good. This is 19 years ago now and the memory is still fresh :slight_smile:
I also decided screw building the bankroll gimme my dough, and both times it took about two weeks to pay me. I started to think that full tilt was just a ponzi scheme when they took so long to pay me, at the same time leaving the money in my account to gamble hoping I could not resist the temptation to fritter it away, how little they knew me lol. I hate being owed money.
I love playing here at replay, but take no notes, and do little to improve my game, quite happy with the way I play, I sometimes get it right and mostly get it wrong, but just a bit of fun for me.
My bankroll here slowly go’s up, rarely down.
When I joined replay it was purely due to having the option of playing omaha and stud games. My very first goal was to win enough to play the 50k omaha hilo tournament, I was back to square one and new player freerolls a few times to get back to 50k. On my 4th or 5th attempt I got into the prizes on the 50k and from then on my chips have accumulated at a steady pace. As I mostly play tournaments it would take me quite a while to lose them all.
I think most gamblers remember there wins more than there losses, I know I do anyway.
I also still love 10 J suited my lucky cards :grinning:
I do however remember a ring game I played here drunk as a skunk and way out of my comfort zone bankroll wise, I won 9,700000, I was very lucky and ran away with my winnings. Would have been about half my total chips if I had lost. My biggest win to date.

1 Like

May I ask why are the losses are more memorable and did that memory help to improve your game, going forward ? I have my thought’s but would love to hear others opinions.

1 Like

I think by far the big losses by bad beats are the most memorable, you just have to learn to shake it off.
Huge wins when you flop the knutts, lol, are sweetly memorable as well, but nothing is more memorable than leading a hand by a lot only to get beat.

1 Like

Perhaps I take that back, here’e one hand that whttps://www.replaypoker.com/replay/877443975/royal-flushas good for me that I’ll likely never forget!

1 Like
2 Likes

Sure do—Years ago playing 7-stud on fifth street i had quad 8’s and 2 feuding cousins had Aces full and Kings full and did not pay much attention to me and i watched as they maxed out the raises each card and won a BIG pot and watched as they screamed at each other for 20 minutes after the hand:).

1 Like

Everyone tends to remember the bad beats because they leave a sour taste forever so I’m going with the huge losses due to bad beats.

2 Likes

Negative Events are Remembered with More Accurate Detail than Positive Events . The research comparing memory for negative and positive events has begun to reveal a fundamental influence of valence on memory accuracy. Negative information often is remembered with a greater sense of vividness than positive information.

National Institute for Health

It’s an evolutionary thing related to self preservation. We remember bad things longer, because they keep us from, hopefully, repeating decisions that may cause us harm.

3 Likes

Personally, I remember the huge losses more than any huge win. I don’t believe one can learn from a big win, that will help their future bankroll increase. But I do learn a lot with a huge loss, that will have a positive effect to help increase the bankroll. I always will think back and dwell on the question of why I lost. Also what should I have done different to prevent the loss from happening. I would say 90% of my memorable huge losses are due to, not displaying the discipline and patience that are required.

In my opinion, people tend to remember losses more than wins. Sort of a “risk-averse” mindset.

All my memorable losses are only due to setups/bad beats.

Either:

1. Getting it in good +EV on flop or turn but got outdrawn on later street.
    OR
  2. Fullhouse over Fullhouse on flop, Sets over Sets on flop, Flush over Flush etc
1 Like

I’ve been there but do you consider if you may have made the wrong decision as I do. Especially with a weak straight, flush or full house knowing there could be higher hand possibilities? I blame myself when I make the wrong decision and try to learn from the loss. Learning the game will never end for me:) thanks for the feedback & GL at the tables

I don’t look at it as a learning lesson because it’s a recreational free poker site so I just go with the flow but memory recognition makes the huge losses or bad calls more prevalent in the mind .

1 Like

Absolutely and those memories, for me is a great learning opportunity for me.

Just don’t dwell on them so they don’t become a burden to your game. Some folks learn the hard way and some folks learn the easy way.

I changed my game after i lost 50 mill in 2 hands! I was thinking what is i doing! Built up that in a year and lose it in a few min! Think i grow up a little after that! The wins i remember is not the biggest pots its my first win in Muckers and in donks!!

1 Like

It is the loosing hands that make you a better player. Some losses are just bad luck, nothing you can do to stop the other guy with pocket deuces to your pocket aces with an ace and a deuce on the flop and a fourth deuce comes on the river.
What a player must do is examine each losing hand and work though each play to analyze where you might have done something different to help you win that pot. That is where you can raise your level of play. I kick myself in the butt several times each tournament I play when I rethink a hand and see where I might have screwed up. Poker is like golf and tennis, you are always playing against yourself to improve your game. The other players at the table are just along for the ride.

Stay safe, aceto5

Disagree poker is nothing like golf or tennis. In any of those you are NOT playing against yourself Ace!!!

1 Like

Actually, in golf you are playing against yourself to improve your game. Regardless of whomever you are playing against you’re always trying to have the best score you’ve ever had. However, you can’t play poker or tennis by yourself.