Do you remember the Huge Losses or the Huge Wins?

Please can we keep this topic on track? The OP is asking about your poker wins and losses.
Thank you

1 Like

I donā€™t think using analogies is off topic.

1 Like

Agree, my friend and believe it is crucial to rethink a Huge Loss and determine immediately, how I could have prevented it. And yep have wanted to kick myself also at times. Haha :+1:

Baseball, football, team games, you act in concert with others.

Poker is a one-person game against everyone else. Unless you are cheating and doing so with other players. Poker is a one-person game trying to improve his skills while playing against others at the same table.
Maybe you never played golf or tennis. Me, I was always trying to improve my game, and I used my opponents to help me do so. It is the same in poker. I improve my game by learning from my mistakes while playing against other people. If you think otherwise, you are just fooling yourself.

Stay safe, aceto5

Canā€™t learn anything if you donā€™t fail in anything we do. And why play the game, if you arenā€™t continuously learning how to improve?

Can not prevent a bad beat, sorry, it happens and nothing going to make you change the way you play them.

2 Likes

Iā€™d have to say HUGE losses because i donā€™t have any HUGE wins lol

2 Likes

Very true and the great thing here, is you can still learn from them & not loose money!!

If you want to improve at poker, work on winning MORE and losing LESS! Sometimes winning hands play themselves! OFC some winning hands can still be played better, but I think less often so comparatively to losing hands IMO.

Losing hands to me are much more interesting. A good player will look for possibilities to play the hand better and reduce losses in future hands Vs villain or player pool. Again sometimes losing hands also basically play themselves and wins and losses are inevitable.

I feel like more can be learnt from losing hands than from winning hands in terms of EV. Maybe its just my bias.

Coming up against massive coolers, in massive pots, which in my experience are not overly common are super fun and annoying, and very memorable.

In poker, especially for FREE we play to win but more importantly for entertainment & fun! Its strange to think any player on RP would not play for fun!

1 Like

The thrill of victory or the agony of defeat. Which lasts longer. I only play MTTs so for me the agony of defeat usually is the end of my tournament life, whereas the huge win typically isnā€™t the end of the tournament and if you dont finish the job the huge win in minimized quite a bit but I also never had a multiway knockout for the win either. So the huge loss sticks with me longer because i have to chew on it until the next tournament.

1 Like

I am blessed with the memory of a gold fish, but I remember the one timeā€¦, hey whatā€™s that shiny thing over there?

As I was sayingā€¦, um, rain is wet, I like rain.

2 Likes

It is much easier to shake off the bad luck losses. They donā€™t stay with me anywhere close to the huge losses, where I misplayed a hand or hands.

1 Like

Huge wins like a Royal Flush with an enormous pot :+1:t2:

Did you learn anything from that Huge Win and did it help, to improve your strategy to improve the bankroll? if so. please share with us all

Didnā€™t learn a thing. Luck plays a huge factor in free online poker so no strategy at all, just gambling.

Depending on the hand, I do learn things. If you let the BB play for free you have no one to blame but yourself when they hit the flop and crush you. Learned that one again today. If your raise and someone calls with garbage you played it right, if you give them a free card its on you.

(Note there are exceptions to every rule, and past performance does not guarantee future returns :))

2 Likes

Yep, and have fun with a bad beat here:)

2 Likes

The bad beats hurt the most Bill. Nature of the game but we keep on playing for the love of the game.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree and I think we learn SOO much from them losses by controlling our future ones.

@southwestmba The agony of defeat for me is very short unless its the last game I can play for the day. But the memories of a Huge loss sometimes live forever, which helps me to play the cards dealt much smarter.

2 Likes

I try to erase the bad losses from my brain n just remember the big wins lol:).

2 Likes