A Question For My UK Friends

So as it turns out, one can buy a small piece of land in Scotland for a very modest amount of money, and the seller claims that this would make one an actual Lord or Lady.

Now my question is this… does anyone know if this title would apply throughout the UK?

Would, as a hypothetical example, a London-based company’s staff and moderators be required by law or tradition to address me as “Lord Sun,” curtsy, and avoid making eye contact?

The property is in Scotland in the Kingdom of Fife, if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

As it turns out, it is indeed possible to purchase a title.

Those of us who know a small amount of British English would be more likely to call you “Pompous Fool” than “Lord Sun” were you to do so :slight_smile:

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,
TA

Slava Ukraini

3 Likes

any one buying a title in scotland it will be reckognized through out the UK

2 Likes

Now I don’t know about all that but it should entitle you to a heavy discount on chip purchases :joy:

2 Likes

I just created my own title of Sir John the Casual, so no need for the Crown to anoint me.

3 Likes

Does the chip discount apply at Arthur Treacher’s Fish & Chips?

5 Likes

OMG , I haven’t heard that name in decades. They went out of business over here and where taken over by “ Ye Ole English Fish n Chips “

Now I’m drooling :drooling_face:

2 Likes

There are a number of entities out there selling title to 1sq inch of Scottish ground and the Laird/lady titles. Most are bogus scams but some are fund raisers, save the environment, help the haggis, genuine-ish. It’s a few dollars to conservation if you pick the good ones. The only real value is if you are the only one amongst your friends to know about this.
Hehehehe…
Frame your chosen title certificate and display in a quiet corner of the dining room
Invite your 6 snobbiest aquatintists to dinner party
Enjoy your starter, thus giving everyone time to observe the rather heraldic looking item
Excuse yourself from the table to tend the kitchen and main course
Wait 5 minutes before serving
Spend the rest of the evening looking regal and accidently mention your holdings in Scotland
When asked about your title, and you will be, simply say “We decided to live a real life and leave aristocracy. Rather Great Grand Uncle Edward and Mrs. Simpson really”.

I can neither confirm or deny that Lady sinner gifted to me one such title, or that we pulled this prank.

3 Likes

:rofl: The things you come up with SPG :rofl: :rofl:
Love laughing, makes my day. :sweat_smile:
I will buy and become " Lady Catherine " being my name is already Cathy.

2 Likes

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I was asking for a friend.

3 Likes

Hahahahahaha, good comeback :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah, they went out of business in the US many years ago, in the 70s or 80s at least.

1 Like

My biggest challenge would be maintaining the appropriate balance between my usual panache and the required stoic regal dignity, but I think I could pull it off…

lordsun

Rest assured that I will still permit common folk to speak to me, (as long as they are kneeling and respectfully avert their gaze) and those fortunate enough to be part of my retinue will be allowed to use the less formal “m’lord” when in private settings.

I will admit that all that for $50 USD is quite tempting.

6 Likes

Nailed it. I think it’s the collar that does it.

5 Likes

I think so too. Plus, it keeps me from biting myself.

5 Likes

Just be careful you don’t ruffle the hair :+1:t2::joy:

3 Likes

Perhaps you could bring it back into fashion, sort of a retro look.

3 Likes

Licking too, I assume?

3 Likes

The Lady doth imagine too much, methinks. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:rofl:

3 Likes