What modern "convenience" would you miss most?

Welcome to the Forums, Deathofgoats. Good luck in the games.

I was well into my 30s before anything more advanced than a Texas Instruments 10-key calculator with various math functions was available to the richest man in the world, Howard Hughes. Yes, the internet has changed our lives in many ways, mostly for the good. But, for an astonishingly large number of things, we could–and, perhaps will–survive, if it went away overnight. The abacus (counting beads on strings) and carrier pigeons still work after all these centuries. It just wouldn’t be as fast.

2 Likes

True - and I still remember how to use an abacus, lol.

4 Likes

My brother, now sixty, when starting his apprenticeship bought a scientific calculator. It cost him a weeks’ wages.

2 Likes

Hi, paulyidaho, welcome to the Forums and good luck in the games.

Yes, I remember those TI calculators. Some of them were assembled in Acton, MA about 50 miles from where I now live. They cost $50 or more in the early 1970s–about half a week’s pay for a young professional at the time. That’s where Ross Perot made his money.

1 Like

Sounds very very tempting… :grin:

1 Like

I remember a hurricane from a year or two ago here in Florida. I worried about my cell phone being without power for almost a week. I was able to charge it on the exterior wall of a hospital. I saw someone observing me doing this as he was leaving. He came back ten minutes later with his expresso machine, plugged it in, made some brew, then left.

I fortunately discovered a strip mall not to far that never lost power. I was able to pick up hot subs every night for the last few days.

1 Like

A/C or Indoor Plumbing.

1 Like