Tricky Flops

How do people handle flops where you think you are likely best, but don’t have much certainty, and almost any card spells danger on the turn/river?

I had quite the spot in a single raised pot today in an MTT where I called from MP with Q8s. Flop came 5c8c6s. I bet pot, got two callers, and check-folded the 7h turn.

The more I thought about it, I wonder if it’s just a spot to check and evaluate on the turn? I just mean other than an 8 or Q what turns am I feeling good about? Literally any other card either complete some kind of straight, or is an overcard (which I think there are a lot of in my opponents’ ranges).

WTF does one do with such spots? The only way to effectively deny equity seems to be a flop shove (which seems borderline suicidal).

1 Like

You may have been better off with a preflop raise, then checking the flop with hopefully less players because of your raise, perhaps already off to the next hand. This game never gets boring with all the tough decisions.
What do you do from MP when you raised a lot preflop with KK and get a couple callers, then of course an ace comes out on the flop? Somebody bets big, so then you have to fold which is really tough. I suppose you could shove preflop only to win a small pot, but it is better than losing. Knowing the players can make a big difference in your decisions.
Have a nice day.

Well, it was a raised pot. So I’m not sure how often I want to be 3-betting with Q8s. Even if it’s heads up I’m not sure how different my line should be postflop. Maybe I should take a more passive line like check-call flop/check-fold turn.

2 Likes

I do believe there are times, we have to be more passive and live to play another hand for the win!, Just my opinion, my friend.

2 Likes

That is 100% true! Sometimes I forget this and lose when I didn’t have to because I was too focused on maximizing the outcome of a single hand.

2 Likes

I think bet or check here is fine, but a pot sized bet is probably unnecessary. If I’m betting here, it’s not really for equity denial, it’s to fold out one of the opponents if they have air so that I have a chance of realizing my own equity. If the other preflop caller folds, you’re in a really strong position because most of the cards that are bad for you are no good for the preflop raiser either (and a lot better for your range). If the other caller is in late position then I think I favor bet, but if they’re in the big blind then I think check is better. Your ability to realize is already pretty good when you’re last to act, and you will likely get more folds on this board from a late position calling range.
Heads up I would almost always check here too. EP might make their hand, but they can’t go crazy, so we will almost always be able to get to showdown. I’d just be trying to realize here as cheaply as possible with an ok but not great hand.

2 Likes

Agreed, I think realizing cheaply is the right strat here

1 Like