Difficult decisions

Hello fellow poker players :grinning:,

We all, at a time or another, face difficult situations where we find ourselves under a lot of pressure and need to make a crucial decision while holding a prime hand. I can’t illustrate many of those situations in this one post, so I’ll start with one example, and everyone is welcome to contribute, comment or ask questions.

You raise 3x in Mid-position with KK.
A kind of loose player called on the button and a “Nit” also called from the small blind.
The flop came: J9T rainbow. You C-bet 1/2 pot when small blind checked. They both called.
The turn is a K. You bet 1/2 pot again. Now the button shoves (The shortest stack) and the small blind isolates (About 2/3s of your stack).
This is in a late stage of an MTT, about 20 players to the money.

What should you do?

The advice implied by the following phrase is probably: FOLD. What do you guys think?

“Your greatness in poker is shown by the hands you fold, not the ones you play.”

3 Likes

If you have trip Kings on the turn and a fish raises, you just need to bingo him. Most of the hands come down to bingo and the fish usually win. Thats replay. I sit and watch as the good players are challenged with rubbish. Most of my wins come from fish trying to bluff me. They all in with ace anything. But this is why its entertainment, not poker.

2 Likes

Go all in, life is short, live a little. No guts, no glory. It’s only play money chips.

Best of luck on the river if they don’t fold to you.

1 Like

four to a straight on the board they most likely caught I’d have pushed on the flop with the overpair

1 Like

Well, the guy on the button might be what you call a fish, but the one on the small blind is not. I specifically said a “Nit”. And I wasn’t talking about Replay, but poker in general.
So if you play seriously, I mean for real and you don’t want to lose your money, you really need to think twice before making calls with trips when an obvious straight is on the board, especially against 2 all ins.

2 Likes

Sorry man, I never said anything about play money. I was talking about poker…

1 Like

Even the flop was too dangerous to shove with just one pair. By betting, you’d find out where you’re at.

2 Likes

It a very nasty situation to find yourself in but in a 3 way pot. I agree that it is probably a lay down :slightly_frowning_face:

If it was a pot vs 1 opponent i would find ot alot harder to fold the set tho.

Very interesting situation

3 Likes

You’re still pretty far from the money, and you have a chance to triple up with top set and another card to come. Pretty sure this is a clear call, even if you’re less than 50% to win the pot.

We play tournaments to win, not to min-cash.

2 Likes

The problem I have, not unique I’m sure, is I make a value judgement on my odds of winning a hand… sometimes b4 the flop, and at any point thereafter. I can’t tell you how may times I lost a hand I probably would have won because I guessed wrong. It’s free poker and I still can’t kick the habit of attaching value to my hands. Real poker requires this attention to theoretical odds, but not this game, “rigged” or not as some would have you believe. Methinks success @ Replay depends on abandoning real life poker principles and “going with the flow.” Thoughts?

2 Likes

I think it’s a laydown for me. Given how it played out, there are too many Qx hands possible for the looser player and certainly AQ and QQ are a possibility for the “nit”. The fact that your KK blocks a potential AK or something like suited KJ/KT also plays into that for me.

2 Likes

I would have shoved. Worst case scenario you lose and move on to the next hand. Also there’s always going to be another hand like that sometime.

1 Like

You could also lose most of your chips after a few hours of play.
Not that far from the money. Calling 2 shoves there with 10 outs to improve and only one card to come is great for gamblers, not poker players.
Sorry, just my opinion.

3 Likes

Move on to the next hand ? Short stacked ?

Totally agree. Great analysis :+1:

1 Like

Well, I was talking about real money poker, but here, I agree with you, sometimes you just go with the flow, who cares right ?

You are totally right, against one player, especially the loose one with the short stack, I would also find it very hard to fold.

Yup, shake it off and move on. It’s only recreational free chip poker. There is no crying in Poker

I think you have to fold since the board run out is so likely that they have a straight. I agree that tough folds are a huge part of being successful at poker. I would look back at the bet sizings and the board runout. With two other players on the flop and the coordinated board, there is just too much danger.

1 Like

A very clear fold if you don’t get 1 to 4 in pot odds (20%) to hit your full house. Which we don’t, and since it is all-in we have no implied odds.

If one player raises and another one goes all-in on you it is almost 100% that he has a straight (especially since he is a nit and not some bluffy maniac).

I would probably also have checked the turn since it’s hard to get called by worse with four to a straight (especially against two players). Check and call a small bet.

You can sometimes even check the flop and pot control with overpairs. If a safe card comes on the turn you start bettin. An alternative line is to bet smaller on the flop.

Don’t stack off on all boards just because you can’t lay down a pretty overpair.

5 Likes