The Video Game Thread!

Pong!

Pong

3 Likes

If your husband likes the zombie apocalypse type of games I think he would like The Last of Us series Jan!

I’m not even a big fan of the zombie apocalypse type of games but my gamer friends kept telling me “Marc you need to play The Last of Us series!” Maybe it was because of the pandemic that we are in but I finally caved in and bought the game as it was on sale in January on the PlayStation Store and it was a great game! I’m hopeful to be able to buy the second game soon!

-Marc

1 Like

Welcome to the forums CatchyTuna!

When I was really little my Father had one of the systems that Pong was on, I can’t remember which one but from time to time me and my brother would play it. Fun memories!!

-Marc

1 Like

Sony has announced the return of the Play at Home Initiative which will include four months of games and entertainment offers.

It’s starts on March 1st when they will begin giving away Ratchet & Clank for free to everyone who owns a PS4 and no PS plus subscription is required to get the game for free and once you redeem the game it’s yours to keep.

Looking forward to playing Ratchet & Clank since I’ve never played it before. More details of the return of Play At Home Initiative can be found at the link below from the official PlayStation blog.

-Marc

4 Likes

Ratchet and Clank is now free on the PlayStation store!!!

ps4

-Marc

1 Like

Decided to buy The Last of Us Part II.

I’ve heard some mixed reviews about this game while trying to also avoid spoilers but I’m looking forward to playing it! I just beat the first game a few weeks ago so I thought I may as well jump right into part 2. I plan to start playing it tomorrow!

You can read my review of the first game above if your interested in the game.

2 Likes

PSA to PlayStation 3 and Vita players: Sony recently announced that they will be closing the PS3 store and the PlayStation Vita store.

The PS3 store will close on July 2nd and the PlayStation Vita store will close on August 27th.

Sony has said that you will be still be able to download any digital games that you purchased in those the stores even after the stores close.

-Marc

2 Likes

Horizon Zero Dawn the complete edition is now available for free on PlayStation!

-Marc

1 Like

Is anyone else playing Valheim? It’s a great Viking-themed survival/crafting game, and is in early access now. It’s a lot of fun and sort of addicting.

1 Like

I’ll have to check it out! Sounds like an interesting game!

2 Likes

well done Ashley Johnson . Singing in Ellies voice ,

One of my favourite moments in the Last of Us part 2

2 Likes

She definitely has a great singing voice! I don’t know if this is true but I heard they had to tell her to sing worse then she actually can because her singing sounds professional and it still sounds great!!!

Still playing through The Last of Us Part 2! Haven’t had much time to play lately because of other things but I’m slowly making my way through the game.

-Marc

1 Like

I used to only play all sports games you name it I’ve played it until, Rockstar games finally came out with (long awaited) Red dead Redemption 2. I’ve spent so many long nights playing as Arthur and wasn’t satisfied till I reached 100% on story mode. I still play Rdr2 online on my PlayStation 4 but not as often now, I am still waiting to get a PS5 once i can find one that’s back in stock for sale, I should have pre ordered it like all my friends said to do but oh well i can wait till I find one in stock. One of my favorite systems is Super Nintendo which I still have my original one that i still play to this day.

2 Likes

Here’s another cover song by Ashley Johnson singing as Ellie!

I don’t believe this was used in the actual game but it was used in promotional advertising for The Last of Us Part 2.

Like I said before she has a great singing voice!

3 Likes

I finished The Last of Us Part 2! Here is the main story and my thoughts on the game!

Warning: This post will contain spoiliers for The Last of Us Part 2. If you haven’t played the game and want to avoid spoilers I recommend skipping this post.

The game starts with Joel telling his brother Tommy. about what happened with the Fireflies at the hospital at the end of the game (covered earlier in this thread.)

Tommy says he would have done the same thing Joel did which was save Ellie from an operation to find a cure for the Cordyceps Virus. The operation would have killed her.

After this Joel and Tommy ride back to their village in Jackson, Wyoming but shortly leave after that to go back on patrol to keep the infected away from their village.

Skipping ahead a little bit you see a Flashback of Joel giving Ellie a guitar (In the first game Joel mentions towards the end he would teach her to play.)

Going back to present time Ellie and her friend Dina go out on patrol to hunt the infected as well.

While on patrol, Joel and Tommy rescue a stranger named Abby from a horde of infected. Abby suggest they ride back to an abandoned mansion where her friends are waiting for her to return.

They ride to the mansion where it’s revealed to the player Abby set up Joel and Tommy and her and her group known as the Washington Liberation Front (WLF),attack them.

Meanwhile after Ellie and Dina return from their patrols, Jessie one of the village leaders inform them Joel and Tommy haven’t returned. so Ellie and Dina go out looking for them.

The reason Abby and the WLF attack Joel and Tommy is because Abby is seeking revenge against Joel for killing her father which turns out to be the surgeron who was going to do the life ending operation on Ellie in the first game in order to try to find a vaccine for the Cordyceps Virus.

Ellie and Dina find the abandoned Manson and arrive as Abby is attacking Joel. She is quickly tackled and pinned to the floor and begs Abby to stop attacking Joel. Abby kills Joel with a fatal strike to the head with a golf club. They let Ellie, Tommy and Dina live with the reason being is that they never did anything to them.

About 2 weeks later Tommy leaves for Seattle where the WLF is based to get revenge and after finding out he left Ellie and Dina head off the Seattle as well to find him and to get revenge on Abby for Joel’s death.

When you get to Seattle the events of the game take place over 3 days and you play with the perspective of both Ellie and Abby. There are a lot of Flashbacks as well. To recap there are Flashbacks of Ellie and Joel with Joel confessing the truth about what happened at the hospital to Ellie at the end of the first game which greatly damages there relationship.

In present time Ellie finds members of the WLF and tortures them for information on the whereabouts of Abby.

It is revealed that Ellie’s friend Dina is pregnant and Jessie shows up to help Ellie.

Later, Ellie and Jessie find Joel’s brother Tommy.

Abby rescues two people who were kicked out another group who are rivals with the WLF while searching for her boyfriend Owen who has gone awol.

Abby later finds Owen and their friend Mel dead from an attack by Ellie but Ellie accidently leaves a map behind revealing to Abby where she is hiding out. An abandoned movie theater in Seattle

Abby goes to the movie theater and attacks Ellie , Jessie and Tommy. She kills Jessie and shoots Tommy but he survives. After fighting with Ellie for awhile she lets her, Dina and Tommy live and tells them to leave Seattle and never come back.

Months later Ellie and Dina are living together on a farm when Tommy arrives with a new lead on Abby’s whereabouts. Dealing with post traumatic stress Ellie decides this isn’t over between her and Abby and goes out to find her.

Towards the end of the game she finds Abby and forces her to fight on a beach even though Abby doesn’t want to fight. During the fight Abby bites off two of Ellie’s fingers. Ellie gets the upper hand but ultimately decides to let Abby live.

Ellie returns to the farmhouse but it’s empty. She finds a guitar that Joel gave her. and tries to play it. She then recalls her final conversation with Joel just prior to his death. In a Flashback we see there final conversation. Joel says if he had to go back and do it all over again (saving Ellie in the first game) he would. Ellie says if she had a choice she would have sacrificed herself to help humanity but also tells Joel she wants to try and heal there relationship and wants to try and forgive Joel.

This is how the game ends.

My Thoughts

This game gets a lot of negative reviews because of the the death of Joel but overall I thought the game was good. Was it as good as the first one? In my opinion, no. Here’s why.

The first game is about hope and relationship building. The second game is about revenge and hate.

I think Joel is killed off to early into the game and the way he’s killed off could have been better instead of it just being a cutscene. There should have been a mini boss battle between Joel and Abby where you play as Joel but then Abby gets the upper hand and kills him.

When you were playing as Abby there was content that I feel wasn’t necessary for the main story like Abby rescuing the two people kicked out of a rival group and could have been used in a DLC add on.

The game wants you to feel bad about Abby’s father dying at the hands of Joel but I really didn’t feel bad. Abby’s father gets very little screen time in a Flashback and it’s hard to feel bad about it when he was just a nameless NPC in the first game.

There are way to many Flashbacks!!! I don’t have a problem with Flashbacks when used once or twice in a game or movie but in this game there are multiple Flashbacks. It takes the momentum away from the present day gameplay in my opinion.

The game is longer then it needs to be. Again they can take away unnecessary content and most of the Flashback sequences to lower the run time.

Here’s how I rate the game:

Gameplay 9.0 / 10 - I really don’t have a problem with the gameplay and felt it was good,

Story 7.0 / 10. - I felt like the story could have been better. Instead of Joel dying maybe it could have been Tommy or Dina with Ellie and Joel seeking revenge. The majority of the fanbase was wanting another adventure of Joel and Ellie.

I think Naughty Dog tired to hard with the game story wise and a lot of fans of The Last of Us franchise feel disrespected with the way Joel was killed off.

In the first game Joel would never followed a stranger (Abby) to an abandoned place like that without gaining her trust first.

My overall rating for the game is an 8.5 / 10 - The story could have been better but the gameplay, graphics and characters were interesting.

I hope you enjoyed reading this review!

-Marc

Here’s a fun question for gamers.

How do you handle your video game backlog? There are a couple of games I have that I want to play but it seems like I don’t have the time to play them. Here’s a list of games I want to play:

Horizon Zero Dawn
Ratchet & Clank
Journey
Red Dead Redemption 2 (Planning to buy soon.)

My gaming time is limited and I usually like to playthrough one game at a time. So how do you handle your video game backlog?

-Marc

I cancelled my real life account to make more time for games.

2 Likes

Games are more relaxing? Less expensive? More rewarding? More current?
Inquiring minds want to know.

1 Like

If yer asking me, Jan…

With games, when you’re done having fun, you can just turn them off, roll over, and take a nap with no adverse consequences.

If you get frustrated with a game, you can slam the controller down and it doesn’t try to get a restraining order.

Games love you long time, 20 dolla!

You can say whatever you want to a game and it won’t unfriend you.

So yeah, games are much more reasonable than people.

2 Likes

Decided to give myself a little Birthday gift!

Bought Red Dead Redemption 2 on the Playstation store!!! It’s on sale for $29.99 until June 10th I believe.

3 Likes