Board Games

We all use to play different board games when we were younger. They were used to pass the time in a fun way. There were probably some board games that you were better at then others. Which board games do you feel you were very good at or enjoyed the most and why? The board game that I liked the most was LIFE. It took just the right amount of time to play so that we did not get bored with it and it dealt with all areas of life. (In fact, I still have the game to this day and it is still fun to play on occasion.)

3 Likes

I’ve always enjoyed chess.

I liked Monopoly until I realized that buying most or all of the houses meant that nobody else could ever build hotels. Nobody wants to play with me now, so I guess I won?

I have also played a lot of the old-school war games by Avalon Hill. These had you moving counters that represented different kinds of units around a hex-gridded map. Battles were won with the roll of the dice, and the games were fun, if a little tedious at times.

2 Likes

I never could keep the rules of Chess straight. Monopoly, though, we generally packed a meal because we knew we would be playing for a while. Thank you for sharing.

3 Likes

Chinese checkers as in the game aggravation. Always marbles, marbles. lol

2 Likes

We had a game board my dad built for us. It was about 3’ X 3’ and was simply a framed board with evenly-spaced holes. Our playing pieces were white or red golf tees. Each player took a turn putting a tee in one of the holes. The goal was to get five (or more) pegs in a row without being blocked by another player. We used to play two teams of two. I can remember, at age four, feeling a mixture of pride and embarrassment when my parents would make a big fuss when it was my turn to play: “Here comes Eagle Eye!” To this day I don’t know for sure if they really thought I was an Eagle Eye or if they were being facetious. I wonder if there’s a game on the market like this one. When my mom passed away, I took home the big box of red and white tees and the peg board. My kids are coming for Labor Day weekend. I think we need to pull out this game and see if “Old Eagle Eye” still has what it takes to win!

3 Likes

That sounds like a very interesting and fun game to play. Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

I had almost forgotten about marbles. My friends and I use to play that all the time. Thank you for sharing.

3 Likes

My favorite was Chutes and Ladders. Starting playing it with my parents and sisters, then in the playground in the summer and never stopped.I think it came out in the 1930’s or 1940’s. Passed it along to my children and now my grandson. Generation to generation to generation. Best game ever !!.

1 Like

I had that game. I loved it. That was so much fun. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

The game for all weekend was “Risk” war conquest, kind of hated it, sort of. Would not play it now LOL

LIFE was a childhood favorite of mine as well, and my grandsons (now ages 11 & 13) still request to play LIFE every tine they visit & it’s been years. I’m glad we still have all the old board games in the toy closet as this is 3rd generation to play them. We always laugh hysterically when it’s time to choose hubby/wife, pets and who goes where in the cars!
We also play Monopoly, Clue, Sorry! & Chess.
And whhile not a board game, they learned poker this summer so we have fun after-dinner games of Hold Em, Omaha & Stud using Papou’s clay poker chips! Hopefully, they will be good players when old enough to play for real!

1 Like

That is so nice to hear Lynn. I am glad to hear that the board games that we had fun with as children are now being passed down to a new generation. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

So, my son and his wife were here for the weekend, and I got out the Five in a Row board game my dad created and we played it. Boring at first, but then s**t got real! :slight_smile: Here’s a picture of the early moves. We played teams, girls against boys, and all I will say here is that a rematch has been demanded by the males.

2 Likes

That looks like fun. I love games that entail strategy. Thank you for sharing

2 Likes

Backgammon is always a classic fun board game :+1:t2:

1 Like

Anyone here ever played Pente’?

1 Like

Sometime long ago I know I did…but that’s all I remember.

My husband learned about a very old game called “Nine Men’s Morris” from a video game he plays. Turns out my best friend’s family has played that game on a home-made board since the early 1900s, but they called the game “Fig Mill.” I wonder if anyone here has heard of this game either way?
https://toytheater.com/nine-mens-morris/

Never heard of it Jan.

I have. It just like the Board game Go.

1 Like