The fairness debate

So the code somehow knows when you are using the bathroom? That’s some fancy coding there!

5 Likes

@9Diamonds, it is impossible to refute your claims if you don’t provide data. Here’s a hint: “I swear to god that it happened” is NOT data.

Having said that, a number of players have independently recorded data from their games, documented in this thread, and demonstrated that the distribution and frequency is in line with expectations for a random distribution.

Furthermore, if you care to look, there is a certificate available on the RP website from a very reputable company that claim to have examined and tested the code for the pseudo random number generator and the shuffling algorithm and have found that the cards that players see meet all reasonable requirements of a random distribution.

In the case of “wrongly awarded hands”, I find it hard to believe that this is a bug that is so rare that it has only just been noted or is specific to you. Since that appears to be your claim and you claim that your “evidence” has disappeared, I have no hesitation in dismissing this claim. I suggest that the next time this occurs, you take a screen shot and post it. When there is evidence to support your claim, we will discuss it.

Finally, you are correct that nearly all non-trivial code has bugs and every developer is well aware of this and very happy to tell anyone who will listen. You have not, however, identified a bug and, in this particular case, there is absolutely nothing for anyone to admit.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
TA

4 Likes

It is triggered by the spy software that operates the camera that the OP probably isn’t even aware of having :slight_smile:

Regards,
Paranoid TA
(with sticky notes over the camera, a tin-foil hat and a Faraday cage surrounding the computer room)

3 Likes

Please post the hand ID#s here so we can take a look. You should be able to recover them in your sent mail folder from the message you sent to support. Thanks.

2 Likes

No it doesn’t know that. What I am saying is that many players have 20 past games in their archives that are days, months, and sometimes years old…meaning that they are not regularly playing on here. What I am saying is that unless a person reviews every hand before it is lost in the 20 pages, there is no way to post it for RP review or to this forum. That is unless you go through every hand and then save it.

1 Like

What SPG and I would like to see is the hand ID#s that you sent. The actual hand may have disappeared from your personal history but it is available in the RP database.

Just post the hand numbers here and we will look after the rest :slight_smile:

Regards,
TA
(retreating back inside his protective hideaway)

3 Likes

That is not my claim, that it is specific to me. It has happened to other players as well. If they report it or not is not my responsibility. I did send the IM and reported it to RP with the game ID#. Nothing back. That was 3 days ago. It’s not my job or position to identify the bug or breakdown the program…you want to pay me to do that, I will. It won’t be cheap however. BTW, I’m not arguing that I don’t enjoy playing here…though it is very rough and tumble with responses that are not in line or against yours or RPs…for instance having to have each message authorized by a mod before posting is quite controlling. If you’d like, take me off my monthly paid membership and the paid chips that I have and I’ll finish up my chips. Pretty sad if that is your stance on a new member and a paying one at that.

There is no sent mail folder from my message sent to support. I sent 2 messages. 1 was for inappropriate language in chat during a SnG, the other was with the game ID number…that game is no longer archived in my account nor are the other games that had the issue. I did however receive an email at my Gmail acct stating that RP rcvd my messages and that they would look into it. There is no other paper-trail on my acct. I don’t really care one way or another if you believe me or not. The backlash and smack talk however is pretty childish and is quickly changing my mind about playing here anymore.

Your claim, if I understand it correctly, is that you’ve been on this site for 10 minutes, relatively speaking, and you have discovered a bug that the developers have missed and that the players who have been here for several or many years have also missed.

You further claim that there is a bug with the email system in that the relevant emails have mysteriously disappeared. I and, as I’m sure, everyone else, can see every email that I have sent all the way back to the very first one that I sent as a new player.

I’m sorry @9Diamonds, there a certain phrases that come to mind here:

1. Put up or shut up (maybe that is just an Australian thing)
  2. The words of the late and great Christopher Hitchens: “That which can be claimed without evidence can be dismissed without evidence”

For the record, you seem to think that I am staff or otherwise associated with this site; I am not staff and I am not associated in any way other than being a casual player

I shall work on my protective cage. Maybe my tin-foil hat needs to be upgraded? I understand that all the cool kids have some titanium-unobtainium alloy thing. I would certainly appreciate your advice regarding the state of the art in that regard.

TA.

2 Likes

I neither believe nor disbelieve you, I am just asking you to post the hand numbers for the hands that were awarded incorrectly.

Every hand is recorded in their database, even if it no longer shows up in your last 200 hands.

Here’s how to get to your sent mail folder so you can share the hand numbers you sent to support, assuming you used the in-game message feature…

1. Click the message icon on top of your dashboard page
  2. From the dropdown, click “view your inbox”

sent1

1. From your inbox, click “sent mail,” and scroll down until you see the message you want. Click the message’s subject line to open it, then copy/paste the numbers to a reply.

sent2

3 Likes

I liked your post, SPG, but I do not have any belief that it will achieve what you hope it will achieve.

Good luck, my friend!

Very kind regards,
TA

2 Likes

No, he’s right, if you use the “support” button, it doesn’t save a copy to your sent mail folder. I just tried it. I dunno why I thought it did.

1 Like

You are right as far as I can tell … It seems that I also have some paranoid feelings and I have only ever written to “support” from my private email.

Regards,
TA

2 Likes

I’d like the hand numbers as well, but since that doesn’t seem possible, I’ll throw this out there as nothing more than anecdotal, but still informative by example:

Every once in while you see the “Replay awarded the winner of this hand wrong” complete with hand ID number posted in this forum. These are always genuine inquiries - the person honestly thought something was amiss and was looking for help or explanation.

Only to to find out the issue was their misunderstanding of the hand itself. Not a single one of those posts (that I have seen) has EVER resulted in an “Oh, my! Will you look at that! He/She is right!” moment.

I suspect that is the same here.

So, to 9diamonds, I say if it really has happened to you, I would think it should be near certain to happen again, wouldn’t you? And when it does, post the hand number here. We’ll help you figure it out.

4 Likes

Right. I am guessing he posted because he wants to help Replay and the community adress what he sees as a flaw in the system. To, me, this is a good thing.

No, I’m not willing to accept claims that aren’t supported with real data, but I’m also not willing to dismiss them out of hand either.

I happen to be one of the guys that did collect data. I recorded 1,023 instances where I was dealt a pocket pair, and found that I flopped or would have flopped sets within 0.02% of the expected number of times.

This does not prove the overall fairness of the deal, but it was enough for me, especially when combined with the data collected by others, who looked at different aspects of the pRNG.

So yeah, if you see the pot going to someone who you think didn’t have the winning hand again, post the hand number and we can take a look.

5 Likes

all I can do is laugh.

@9Diamonds
Maybe you could ask Replay to post the hand numbers to this thread so we may all analyze and discuss the issue you appear to be having. I’m sure that, should you personally and publicly request this, RP would release the hand numbers as a teaching/learning/discussion opportunity. I’m sure they could blur player profiles, or show only seat numbers, so an honest and unbiased discussion could take place.
Actually, that might not be a bad addition for RP to consider in the future. Hands that are sent to RP as “questionable” get posted to a separate thread for discussion by the player base. RP could post hand with seat numbers only so it is a completely neutral study of the hand.

Anybody can post hand numbers, RP support do not need to get involved.

As far as “an honest and unbiased discussion” is concerned, the cards are what they are - someone has the best hand and that is determined by the rules of the game.

Regards,
TA

3 Likes

I completely agree and have never seen any evidence of shenanigans. But as 9Diamonds does not have the hand numbers it may be possible for replay to post them.
Maybe the “CURSE” has found its new home or name. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I appreciate your “creative thinking” but, obviously, if RP do not know the hand numbers then they don’t have anything to supply.

At this stage, all we know is that 9D claims to have sent an email and does not have a copy of it. If this email was sent and no action was taken then we can assume that RP have no interest in the matter. I must say, to my embarrassment, that I have sent some truly stupid emails to support and not only did those wonderful people not point out my stupidity, they treated with me respect far beyond what I deserved. What I am saying is that, in my experience, there is no contact with RP support that does not get attended to.

It seems rather, um, “peculiar” that 9D has suffered from wrongly losing hands and did not get assistance from support when this matter was raised. Either of those things, on their own, would be right on the verge of unbelievable but, when combined, strongly suggest a tear, a whopping great rip, in the fabric of the space-time continuum which has allowed the manifestation of the improbability field under the influence of which, of course, the most likely things to happen are precisely those things that are least likely to happen.

In any (highly improbable) event, it seems that 9D has chosen to not continue in this thread.

Kind regards,
TA
(does my tin foil hat protect me from the effects of the improbability field?)

1 Like