Rate my performance out of 10 on each street!

Yesterday I lost about 1.4M through a combination of bad luck and bad play. It was probably about 3 or 4 buy ins in ring as a guestimate. Players regularly blame luck 100% for bad fortunes and their own poor play will = the remaining 00%.

Rate my play on the flop and turn from -10 to +10. Don’t be gentle!

Where lies the blame? What’s the combination in % luck Vs Hero action for this result? How unlucky was I Vs how bad did I play?

1 Like

preflop raise : vgood,
flop raise: vgood,
turn raise: vgood,
#then--------> your opponents go all in (keep in mind with pair on board and vbig chance 3ofk) is hard to say goodbye to KK!!! Because there is no higher card at the table.
If there was only 1 opponent i take a chance and play also all in, with 2 opponents i will fold :wink:

1 Like

You made a substantial raise preflop where I would have raised just a bit more but you did manage to fold 3 players with it. With a pair on the flop you we’re hoping for a full house. You continued to stay in it and call to the raises not thinking someone might have had trips. Luck eventually wasn’t on your side.

That’s a tough one. Since you weren’t in very good position, maybe a larger bet preflop would’ve driven them out of the hand. Neither had very strong hands, but unfortunately for you, they both had you beat on the flop. If this had been real money, good players would’ve folded preflop and you would’ve more than likely taken down the blinds. However, once there was an all in perhaps you should’ve given more consideration to the possibility that one of them had a four, especially when the second one called an all in.
Preflop raise out of position: 7.5-8.5.
Flop raise following 2 checks: 10
Turn raise: 5 I probably would’ve checked
River raise: After a large raise and a reraise 0.
As a rule, large bets on the turn are probably the nuts. Large raises on the river are always the nuts.

New to poker (this is my third week playing), but here’s my thoughts on the streets.

Preflop: Iso-raising is a must with a hand like Kings. Poker sites would recommend 4BB in your position, but from my experience on this site, your 6.5BB is a good size - if there’s customers, keep increasing the size. In fact, given that mediocre hands called you, if anything, you didn’t size big enough - I’ve went up to 10 BB before on loose tables on this site.

Flop: The flop is problematic, because it completely misses your preflop raising range. When you bet, you have three goals in mind:

• Stop worse hands from improving.
  • Get worse hands to put more money in the pot.
  • Get better hands to fold.
    With this in mind, I think betting with Kings on a board is good, because it gets 8x to call you. The sizing you chose is a bit big for my tastes, but it probably needs to be big enough to fold out hands like 67, even though the implied odds.

Turn: Here, I think you should figure out what you’re representing, and what your opponents are representing. With your iso-raise and flop c-bet, your range looks something like 88+, broadways, maybe A4s or A8s, 89s, 8Ts, 9Ts, 9Js. So by c-betting the turn, you’re advertising a lot of hands with jacks.
The second thing is to look at your opponents hands, and ask what they might have and what you’re trying to do. Hands that call your flop c-bet are pairs, 4x, good 8x holdings, and gutshots. So by betting here, you are folding out gutshots (good), folding out 8x (not very useful), or betting into 4x (not good). You’re not extracting value from getting jacks to call, because the only jacks that made it past the flop are already better than you.

When your opponent shoves, I think it’s a clear fold. Shoves here represent 4x, which you have low equity against, and you can’t even benefit from implied odds when you river a King when people are already all-in. Other possible shoves might be 88, 8J, JJ, or hearts, but I think the EV from calling hearts or 8J (or the extremely unlikely 9T, QQ, or pure bluffs) doesn’t make up from the lost EV from the other cases when you’re behind. I also note that from my personal experience on this site, people tend to not check-raise with a bluff.

3 Likes

how about Oskar 24 wat a cooler! sick poker LOL

You don’t sound like someone who’s only been playing poker for three weeks!

Hi @DogsOfWar

Pre-Flop: Pretty standard raise
Flop: You can check sometimes because there’s no draw and the 2 of villains have more 4x or 88s than you.
They check and when you c-bet, with 2 cold calls. It feels strong and someone is trapping.
With that dry board texture, high chances one of them has 4x or full house already.
Turn: You can also check sometimes to avoid a re-raise which will put you in a difficult spot.
River: They probably will bet out if you check on turn and you might be able to lose the minimum.

Another way to lose the minimum is:
Check Flop
Call Turn
Evaluate how much they bet out, you can call or fold on river.

1 Like

Your play preflop is good. I assume the larger raise is to isolate the limper and exploit the fact he will limp/call almost any raise with basically any two cards. I also assume the larger c-bet of 2/3 pot is an exploitative sizing targeting this same player who you expect to be continuing with a very wide range.

But once both players call my c-bet I’m either checking the turn or sizing down. You might be able to get 1 more street of value from small pairs and hands containing an 8, but 2/3 pot on the turn is too big on this board even against two calling stations.

Given that you’re against two loose-passive players, facing a turn check/raise and then a shove this is a clear fold. This player type generally doesn’t bluff and only becomes aggressive with very strong hands.

2 Likes

Hi, this will be my first post here;
OTF +5;
OTT (Especially after the re-raise, your game is) -10…

1 Like

I agree my turn play was pure stupidity! -10

I think my flop play was poor too. Maybe 3+

If this is your first post on RP then WELCOME to chaos!

2 Likes

Thanks, man, verry warm welcome! :heart:

Pair on the board-re-play:)…But u cannot call the river with 2 all in’s either:)

3 Likes