Poker Terms I hate

I don’t think any of these are actual poker terms. Well OK, “studnuffin” is, but still.

Stud.muff.in (noun)

1. A manly babe magnet possessing immense charm, wit, intelligence, and poker vocabulary, especially one with “Sun” in his name.
  2. A yummy beefcake that’s poisonous to table dancers.
4 Likes

Poker terms I hate - The Bluff
To bluff someone is basically and simply put - lying to them.
It is acceptable as people find it funny to get away with a lie…on a Poker table, sure fire way to expose a ‘donk’, because they react when they get caught out when they lie - they Tilt. Some even get abusive to try and deflect the blame, for their LIE.
Poker and Life are connected with analogies - a bluff in poker is kinda like the ‘white lie’, so long as it doesn’t hurt anyone, or you do it to avoid hurting someone…says who? Well you say it but that doesn’t mean that you are right, if you are not on the other end of the lie how can you possibly know if it is affecting the other person…because sometimes the other person receiving the bluff/lie knows that they are being lied to or they fall for the lie and get hurt when they find out the truth.
To say you bluff to win ‘chips’ is like saying you will lie for money. Even for imaginary money.
Not a fan, it’s deception every way you look at it.

1 Like

I could not agree with you more … I don’t know how some of these players can sleep at night … I am Proud to be a …
poker angel

2 Likes

“All warfare is deception” - Sun Tzu

I bluffed once, just to see what it’s like. I hated it, it made me feel so dirty.

Some people think I bluff because I do occasionally misclick. I try to fold because that’s the honest thing to do, but it somehow accidently bets or raises because I clicked the wrong button. I feel terrible when this happens, especially if everyone else folds. I wish there was a way to give those chips back!

It’s even worse when someone suggests that one of my misclicks was a bluff. Man, that really hurts my feelings. It’s like purposely jamming an arrow deeper into that emotional wound from that time I went to Mardi Gras and made out with this “woman” who turned out to be a big bluffer who was hiding a big… lie, i guess one could say.

I don’t really have a problem with the term “bluffer,” but those who do it should be ashamed of themselves.

4 Likes

Thank Goodness I am a …
day sleeper

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

ah…a man after my own heart quoting Sun Tzu. What a vision he was. :thinking: :nerd_face:
I too it appears have had the exact same thing happen to me at Mardi Gras…turns out the ‘man’ I made out with wasn’t in reality hiding a lie just a secret not yet fully realized.
So not a bluff at all.
I can forgive that when the secret was worth realizing, as Sun Tzu would say, know your enemy. :shushing_face: :upside_down_face: :wink:
To the Goat from a fellow goat - Day Sleeping!!! High 5 buddy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bluffing is part of life and poker. I think people misuse the term a lot though. To me, a bluff is betting on absolutely nothing, which I rarely do. However, if you think Ace or King high is the best hand out there, then betting on it isn’t a bluff (to you). It might feel like one to the person that folds top pair thinking you hit the straight or flush though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is when ‘betting’ rules come into play - it’s a worthy hand to bet on and to show proudly, so not really a bluff. Hands that are worthy are always respected by good players - the one who folded - in that scenario didn’t have enough faith in their own hand to support it with a call.
Hands that win that were crap are embarrassing to show and like SPG said, frankly they should be ashamed of themselves.

no shame

2 Likes

I have to disagree on that. The only time I am embarrassed to show a hand is when it was obvious I was beat and I stayed in too long. A bluff is a bet meant to induce folds - if it works and you win without a showdown, you did it right :slight_smile: JMO

2 Likes

Please let us keep this post on topic, a discussion on bluffing requires a new thread.

Thank you in advance.

2 Likes

annoying?
Big Slick

3 Likes

I like “Holdem” a lot better than “SneakAOuickPeekAtEm”.

2 Likes

Sometimes
when I am getting ragg cards forever, I will bluff with nothing. Always feel better when it works!

1 Like

love it

Yeah, Big Slick is annoying, but maybe because I do not understand it. And then the derivative Big Lick, for 96. I understand it, but find it unnecessary.
What does annoy me most is when poker players, usually youtubers, call a flop “monotone” when the cards have the same suit. Good luck with trying to explain to someone who is not a poker player how that makes any sense.

1 Like

Apologies if it’s already been mentioned but I hate the term “boat” for a full house.

I love the term “boat!”

The term probably originated in the days of the riverboat gamblers, who often lived on the boat so they wouldn’t miss a night of poker. Since their “house” was the boat, they started saying “full boat” instead of “full house,” and this got shortened to just “boat.”

3 Likes

Samuel Clemens used to tell me “…you can’t judge a book by it’s cover, but you can judge a boat by it’s rudder…” and I’m lovin’ this rudderless topic you started SPG. (but don’t let it go to your swarthy, photo shopped head) :sunglasses:

2 Likes

When someone at the table who’s big blind says “No raise” instead of check and you’re the one dealing the cards thinking “Well just say CHECK SO, sounds like you wanted to raise!”

1 Like