Poker Terms I hate

In Hold Em you actually hold your hole cards as opposed to the almost obsolete Stud poker.

1 Like

3-bet clearly refers to a bet equal to 3-big blinds, not the third bet.

1 Like

“A chip and a chair” often quoted on ESPN during their WSP coverage. Implying that any donk could take home the bracelet if lucky enough? Anyway, that’s a phrase that makes me cringe.

1 Like

I think what they are saying there is that, as long as you’re still in the tournament, you have a chance to win. I don’t think they are implying that any tournament can be won by luck alone.

1 Like

Perhaps you are right, but I still think that the phrase is a gross oversimplification, and perhaps I will get support from others on this site that cringe when they hear that phrase.

Well, if it helps, the phrase kinda makes me cringe a little too.

That phrase, early on, helped me understand that I shouldn’t give up too soon. I see at as over-simplified now, for sure, but I have come back from very tenuous chip stacks (can they be tenuous?–lol), and “chip and a chair” did work as a reminder that it’s not over until there’s neither of those two resources left.

2 Likes

To be perfectly clear, I’m only referring to that phrase in a tournament setting. That said, if you have allowed yourself to get down to your last chip before making some kind of move, then the “opportunity” has left the building. Even a double up (at one chip) isn’t going to help. Having played more tourneys than I can count (wif my hi skuul edumacation) I’ve never been down to a “chip and a chair”. Typically, I would have busted out long before that. :laughing:

3 Likes

I was once down to 10 chips after the 2nd or 3rd hand of an 1,100 seat real money MTT, and came back to win it. Yeah I got very lucky 5 or 6 hands in a row, but quadrupled up, sextupled up, quintupled up, and eventually got it back. It can happen.

But the phrase is cliche, and that does make it mildly irritating.

1 Like

The most hated phrase I hear on the tables is “I have it” - usually uttered by someone I had just bluff-shoved the river on.

4 Likes

Technically speaking the blinds are NOT bets but are buy-ins since they are mandatory and unavoidable. They are part of your admission to the game. A bet is voluntary and can be made or not made.
You cannot play poker without paying blinds. You CAN play poker without making bets…

1 Like

I am with you SPG - and JanCee - exactly. It’s Hold Them - when you come to the table all in ya face Texas style with a gun, mirror and shaky knees - better be careful because you are about to get ‘locked and loaded’ up and taken off to prison so fast ya ‘floppy’ heads will droop. :stuck_out_tongue:
I have never been a fan of most Poker terms - as if knowing things like ‘the nuts’, is going to make you a better player…REALLY? Goose BANANAS. All I need to know is where your nuts are so I can hold’em and chop’em off.

2 Likes

I learned all the cool pokering lingo so I could impress the railbird poker groupies. Like, “Hey baby, want to go to my room and talk about how my shove range plays against a big pair?”

1 Like

You break my heart with the almost obsolete Stud poker. Stud is one of the best training grounds for Poker - if you can Master that game at Stud High and Low levels, it prepares you for all other games. Stud Poker actually does come with a rule book…1st Street, 2nd Street and so forth.
I have trained many a self professed ‘Hold’em’ player to better their own games via Stud.
When you move onto Omaha - all you have learnt is tested. Omaha has been infected by a poison - Hold’em wankers. Coming to Omaha and playing the same way they would at Texas - when the odds are already stack against them - 4 cards…like der EVERYONE gets 4 cards. It requires more thought as to when and if you will enter the playing ring. Do not underestimate the STUD game. Losing that from Poker Sites was poor form. Good players at Stud can very easily set traps for ‘donks’ because their under the table talk comes across the table loud and clear. The amount of times I have dragged a donk into the ring on purpose was that I knew - my team mates had my back - I will fold the second the donk was in the noose. Then watch another player hang them. FUN FUN FUN. :slight_smile:

1 Like

aren’t you just the poker stud then. Not very romantic is it now…but I suppose if they are Groupies, and fall for that cheap line, then more fool them.
I’m a dance with me across the table kinda girl - cheap lines are for cheap players.
I DON’T COME CHEAP…I’m a Diamond with a Heart and a Spade in my back pocket - to dig their graves for them, while I dance at the Club. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

So what you have just told me is that you are in actual fact not a poker stud at all…you are a cheap as chips at a seagull festival poker slut. Just lost ALL street cred SPG.
SPG is a fraud…not a stud muffin. I got ya number dude. :smiley:

lmao :joy: :joy:

1 Like

Not to worry Sunny Boy - I just bounced a chicken parading around as a cute puppy…I got a ‘Blank Space’…wanna play? :kissing_smiling_eyes:

No you don’t! I only give my number to people with a sense of humor. :slight_smile:

1 Like

… From Vixon…Tell him the following
nice try…in that case I’ve had ya number all along baby. Read ya like a magazine. :shushing_face: :thinking: :joy:

1 Like