Poker Terms I hate

There are a few poker terms I tend to avoid.

The first of these is “3 bet,” when used pre-flop. If someone opens and gets raised, this re-raise is a 4 bet, not a 3 bet. See, the small blind is a blind bet, and the big blind is a blind raise. If you raise over the blinds preflop, you are making a 3 bet, and a raise after that is a 4 bet, not a 3 bet. Yeah I know, my ranting will never change it, but sorry, most people just get it wrong and it’s mildly irritating.

I’m also not fond of the whole “hero” and “villain” thing, so you will rarely see me using these terms. I’m ex-military, and to me, “hero” means something. Getting dealt 2 random cards doesn’t make you a hero. Sorry, but it just doesn’t.

My opponent is not necessarily a villain either. First of all, villains are fictional, and I am fairly certain I am playing against actual people. Moreover, villains are evil, and someone just playing a game with you doesn’t have to be evil. Sure, most women are a little evil, but this seldom rises to the extent of full villainy. Besides, most of the people i play are men, so it’s not a huge factor.

Again, I don’t expect anyone to stop using these offensive and incorrect terms. I just felt the need to 'splain why I don’t use them.

Are there any terms you don’t like?

3 Likes

You really should try to challenge yourself :slight_smile: The women on this site tend to be extremely strong players and though the men outnumber them, I tend to be more worried facing a woman HU. Of course, if you keep saying we are evil, you might want to continue to avoid tables with lots of women :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Yes, there are a lot of great womem players on this site. I have mad respect for their pokering prowess.

The problem is that I’m obviously such a babe magnet that I have to say stuff to keep them at arm’s length. Otherwise, I would be plagued by hordes of love-sick net vixens tittering and giggling at every table, which is distracting. Such comments also serve the public good by reducing the number of swooning-related head injuries. Consider it to be a public service of sorts.

So, are there any actual poker terms you don’t like?

1 Like

I don’t care for any derogatory terms to describe certain types of players. The one the stands out for me is “nit.” I actually find this term a bit ironic – it is intended to be a put down, but it is typically used to describe a person that plays a tight game. I find it very amusing when a player refers to an opponent as “nit” precisely after losing against their opponent’s strong hand. You just called the action of a tight player and lost, that makes you a [insert derogatory term here].

As for 3-bet, I think that the term derives from fixed limit games. I would add that the SB is not a minimum bet – it is incomplete because it is only 1/2 a blind. The first minimum bet is the BB. Competing the SB is akin to calling the BB and is not a raise.

4 Likes

I don’t see it much here at Replay, but when playing live in card rooms I hear the term “Nut Flush” used incorrectly a lot. An example would be a player has A 9 Hearts and the board is 3 4 5 Hearts and two spades. The player lays down his hand and says nut flush. Since there are several straight flushes possible, his flush is not the nuts. Conversely if the board were K Q J of hearts and two spades, It would be legitimate for player to lay down his A 9 and say nut flush even though the board shows a possible straight flush, player has it blocked and knows his flush is the nut flush.

3 Likes

5 Likes

pfffffttttt :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I don’t want to quibble, but I don’t see it that way. When the small blind is posted, it is a valid bet, and the BB is a raise. Yes, from that point on, the min bet is raised to 1 BB, but you can’t make half a bet, so the SB is a bet.

It’s not uncommon for the min bet amounts to change during the course of a hand. For example, mixed limit games are pot limit preflop, then no limit afterwards. In fixed limit games, once the blinds are posted, the min bet becomes 1 BB for the first 2 betting rounds (preflop and flop) then raises to 2 BB from then on.

So, the way I see it, the SB is a bet (1st bet) the BB is a raise (2nd bet) and any raise from there is actually a 3 bet.

If I told you that I do not understand what ANY of those poker terms mean…

If I told you that NEVER IN MY LIFE have I played an actual hand of poker…

(Ya know, sitting at a table with other humans and using those cardboard things, and REAL CHIPS? What do you do with those?)

I watch those shows sometimes and it seems to me everyone is fixated with playing/stacking with the chips.

They peek at the cards for a second, and then remember them?
I can’t do that!

Shove?
Push?
Nut?
Donk?
Limp?
Outs?

Would you believe me, or would you say that I SHOULD TRY and learn those things and that I would be a better player for it?

Sounds too complicated.

1 Like

And I would be telling the truth. :sob:

(I can only imagine how many notations I just got)

Doesnt matter how you “see it” mate, AK is right. First bet is the BB, first raise is the 2nd bet, first reraise is the 3bet sorry but it just is, maybe a quick google will set you straight on that one :slight_smile:

Since I’m the one who finds it mildly irritating, it matters how I see it. In fact, that’s all that matters. I fully understand that I may be the only person on the planet who sees it correctly!

Google it? Splendid idea!

CardPlayer magazine says, "One or more blind bets are usually used to stimulate action and initiate play. "

One or more what? Fuzzy kittens? Pink flamingos? One half bet and one full bet? No sir, “One or more blind bets.” In our games, we use two of these. Let’s count them. The small blind would be blind bet one, the large blind would be blind bet two, so any bet after that would be what? If you said, “a 3rd bet,” you would be correct!

Wikipedia, “The blinds are forced bets posted by players to the left of the dealer button in flop-style poker games.”

theHendonmob says, "The two players to the left of the button (dealer) in a game of hold’em are required to place compulsory bets before the cards are dealt. "

Holdem for Dummies says, “In order to start betting in Hold’em, forced bets (known as blinds ) are made by the two players immediately clockwise from the dealer button.”

Astute readers will note that, in every case, the plural “bets” is used. Adding the “s” at the end of a word means more than one!

I’m not gonna go on arguing the point. I understand that the rest of the known universe will continue as before, and I’m fine with that. I will continue to say “raise” and “re-raise” when describing preflop action in order to avoid confusing all the folks who “see it” incorrectly. :slight_smile:

:rofl:

while that was a fun read, fact is a half inch isnt an inch, a half an apple isnt an apple and a half blind isnt a blind either also how can one play cards with magazines thats just crazy talk, but hey, we all need things to irritate us so lets allow this to be your own personal thing :slight_smile:

googled 3bet meaning and pokernews says: Three-Bet. Commonly used to refer to an initial reraise before the flop. … Similarly in no-limit games the big blind is the first (forced) bet, the first raise is the second, and the first reraise a “three-bet.” After that, the next reraise is called a “four-bet” and so on.

2 Likes

Yeah, I actually agree with you about the Hero/Villain thing. I don’t use those terms myself. I also don’t tend to say things like “3 bet”, because to me that is just a reraise. Why make the terms difficult for beginners who are trying to learn from our conversations? It just seems nicer to keep it simple :slight_smile: I try to keep my posts in layman terms, because I want everyone to be able to understand me. I have spent a lot more time playing than I have studying or watching poker, so though I understand most of the terms, I find I don’t use them much.

1 Like

Yes, I agree that it is commonly used.

1 Like

You know what else bugs me a little? The name “Texas Holdem.”

OK, the game probably originated in Texas, so that part is fine, but “Holdem?”

What, exactly, are we holding here? The cards mostly sit on the table, except for when we sneak a quick look, and the look if more important than the holding. It should be called Texas SneakAQuickPeekAtEm.

1 Like

Pretty sure it was that just so Kenny could have something to rhyme with fold em.

1 Like

Back in the late 70s/early 80s, it was considered common knowledge that Hold’em was a contraction of “Hold Me, Darlin’,” a two-card game dealt the same way, but bet like stud poker with four betting rounds. It was listed in numerous versions of Hoyle’s Rules of Games. It was usually played as a limit game with only one blind bet as in some forms of draw poker. Many non-professional players considered it to be the bastard child of draw and stud poker, combining the worst features of both.

1 Like

My son, raised by his mother, the English teacher, regularly corrects me and says, “Mom, Texas Hold Them.” lol

3 Likes