Lets Grow our own Watermelons/Cantalopes

So Sorry to hear my friend, prayers go out to you & confident you will be able to make any needed repairs. Wish I was closer to assist.

2 Likes

Aww Lynn, so sorry; Glad you are ok.

2 Likes

Watermelons & Cantaloupes are ready, but Cantaloupes are small again this year :disappointed: How is everyone’s crops coming along?

1 Like

Get your foot off the scale, lol. Nice. Would take a picture of my peppers, but they are only a few inches tall.

Size don’t mater, put um in a pile probably larger & I love any pepper lol :yum:

I was just going to say that :joy: 250 lbs weighing on a little watermelon :watermelon:

1 Like

Very Funny !! As I get older very hard, without my glasses to see that little dot lol. I trust the analog scale better, that weighed the first melon on our mini farm in 2017, at 34 lbs. Since then no melon, has come close.

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: Foodies Unite!

You can get it to over 34 pounds by cutting a hole in it and filling it with Gin :joy:.

1 Like

That would be great my friend, thanks.

1 Like

I bet that would be very Tasty also!!! :yum:

1 Like

I do not grow watermelon or cantaloupe. because I fear powdery mildew will spread to my outer crops… but have been Garding for some time… to avoid powdery mildew water the roots of the plants… not the leaves… I suggest a soaker hose.

2 Likes

Hi @jedwins , if you are referring powder mildew which is a pain, to trees, shrub’s flowers, etc , will you please repost to Plants, Gardens, Cuttings–All the Feels!. That is a big issue for us as well but not due to the melons.

1 Like

It’s from watering from overhead, just soak the roots deep.

1 Like

Guess what today is? National Watermelon Day!!! Had mine straight lol, but here is a link to good ideas.

Had to delete the link due to political inserts but some great recipes were there. Will try and find elsewhere.

How do you plant and grow seedless watermelons?

1 Like

Very good question and all seedless watermelon’s, I have seen do have seeds. However those seeds will not produce a plant in the future.

Purchase triploid and diploid watermelon seeds. Seedless and seeded watermelons must pollinate with one another in order to produce seedless fruit. Visit your local plant nursery or find the seeds online. Triploid seeds will produce seedless watermelons while diploid seeds produce seeded melons.
Attached is a link to a very simple & good site that explains in detail the full process.https://www.wikihow.life/Grow-Seedless-Watermelons

1 Like

Good time to have the kids scar up the Pumpkins they plan on carving maybe some stiches, forehead lines, names …

2 Likes

Fun times!! Didn’t grow them this year:(

Help!!! Does anyone know a way to freeze watermelon that doesn’t turn to mush when thawed and keeps its flavor? Pulling out the last 14 or 15 melons tomorrow and would like to freeze a few for us. In the past we have tried, jar and bag freezing, but just too mushy when thawed to eat. Thanks, will try anything one more time.