Plants, Gardens, Cuttings--All the Feels!

I don’t have a green thumb, but I sure do like gardens and plants and bouquets. Here’s my share for today on this topic. These Towers of Jewels take two years to mature, then blaze in bee-glad gorgeousness, then die, having self-seeded the ground around them so it’ll all happen again. So–what can you share to bring spring-time to the tables?
Tower o jewels

8 Likes

Wow, that’s pretty! What are they?

Echium wildpretii, commonly known as tower of jewels or red bugloss, is a biennial or short-lived perennial that is native to volcanic slopes on Tenerife Island in the Canary Islands where it is commonly found at elevations of 4,200 to 6,500 feet.

1 Like

My quiet place, I sit here on my patio and enjoy the flowers and watching the birds feeding at the tables. This was taken last June, and the agapanthus in the central pot was still in bud:

6 Likes

Sorry. Nothin’ much grows in Axel’s yard…any season.

5 Likes

I see you’ve planted the dog, which may be “fruitful.” lol

3 Likes

We have lots of different kinds of rock roses (cistus) in our yard. We love them because they are so easy to care for. A professional landscaper in Vancouver, B.C., gave us this advice: “Leave them alone! They can suffer from lack of neglect. Don’t fertilize them, seldom water them. They will thrive for at least five years.” Ours have continued to thrive for nearly 15 years. That’s my kind of gardening!

6 Likes

Why R they called Rock Roses?

Is it because they Rock?

Do they grow easily in rock areas?

I’m looking for plants that can grow in rock covered areas.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Killmister. I do think Rock Roses grow easily in and around rocks. I don’t know how rocky your soil is, but ours isn’t great, and they thrive. We have to chop them back 2-3 times a year.

If you’ve got really rocky soil, I think you should start exploring the world of succulents. We have some amazing varieties growing on our property. I’ll look for some pictures to share. They are cool plants. (This photo is NOT my garden.)succulent

3 Likes

Roses, my beautiful roses and of course my dwarf Alberta Spruce Christmas tree. At mature it grows 5 feet wide and 10 feet tall never having to trim it :+1:t2:

4 Likes

So very beautiful, Craig! We saw those Alberta Spruce in Massachusetts a year ago last spring and then forgot about them. This is a helpful reminder. We have the perfect place for them here! Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you and you’re welcome Jan ! Can’t wait to decorate it for the holidays every year :christmas_tree::+1:t2:

1 Like

Do Alberta Spruce grow well indoors?

Great even growth & Neatness!

1 Like

You can only keep this type of species indoors for a few weeks before they turn brown. They are made for in ground plantings and brutal harsh winters unlike other evergreens like the Bonsai tree that are grown for indoors.

Thanks, How expensive are they?

1 Like

Depends where you get it and what height. Saplings are around $89. I bought mine from a tree nursery in Canada, 30 inches tall, $249, $80 shipping. I planted it last spring and already got over 6 inches of new growth. 7 more years should top it out at around 12 feet.

You can Google it and find exactly what you need and what growing zones.

Beautiful feature tree :+1:t2: This weekend I will transfer the rose bushes so they don’t choke the tree and before the frost hits. Besides the fact that the pressure treated planter box is 8’ x 8’ and the tree is going to get about 5/6 feet wide.

No maintenance lol. Grows just like you see it. Dark green with light green tips.

Best of luck.

2 Likes

8 Likes

“Solarize” Your Veggie Garden

Here’s an easy way to drastically cut down on weeds in your garden…

Use a rock rake and lightly rake your garden. Wait for it to rain or give the area a good watering. Now cover the whole thing with clear plastic painter’s drop cloths or whatever clear plastic sheeting you happen to have on hand.

The plastic will create a warm micro-climate which, combined with the moisture, will germinate whatever weed seeds are hiding in your garden soil. The plastic keeps the sprouted weeds from getting more water, so they shrivel up and die. Once they do, repeat the process a second time.

You end up with soil that is warmer faster and significantly less weeds for the growing season!

3 Likes

That’s asstounding!

1 Like

It has, for me, been a pretty asstounding week all-'round! lol

1 Like