Lets Grow our own Watermelons/Cantalopes

It is the growing season for our favorite fruit’s, Watermelon’s & Cantalopes. Our first Jubilee watermelon has the record for my Wife & I, at 34 lb’s.

In the last 6 years none harvested has come close.Hope you have planted your melon’s to harvest in 90 days. We are always trying to grow a better crop and we ask if anyone is growing Watermelon’s has any tip’s to do so?

There is still time start your melon patch, if you the space/time to do so and very mature plants which should reduce harvest time to 45 days.

I have 3 questions if you would please share with all.

1. Is anyone current gowing mellons and/or cantalopes?
  2. Are you having any issues with the crop, that perhaps someone may have a remedie for.
  3. And do you have any tips, tricks etc. That may help others with thier crop production
6 Likes

I tend to prefer growing cantaloupes, and have grown honeydews (and watermelons). I had real success fairly easily several years ago using available cow manure. I quit using the cow manure; long story involving spraying of the pasture to eradicate thistle, and the spray rendering the manure unusable for a period of approximately two years. google “grazon spray ruining gardens” if interested.
I have four cantaloupe plants going now…and am using the cow manure again, and everything seems okay thus far (long story again).
however, in the past few years I haven’t used the cow manure, and haven’t have anywhere near the success I had using the cow manure prior to 2016 or so.
I’m not a neat gardener, but usually have pretty good success w/ tomatoes, pole beans, squash, okra, etc. I don’t plant lots of stuff either. five okra plants will practically feed a whole town once they get going. (incredible plant)

2 Likes

I was born into a vegan family, and have been one all my life. So I grow as many fruits and veggies as possible. On good years, I get from the beginning of June until October without frost, for outdoor planting. Raspberries, Blueberries, and Strawberries are my favorites, all are perennials, and spread like weeds. For those, and all my veggies, I use composted chicken poop. I can always find a nearby farmer who has some chickens that is willing to give me as much as I need. It has given me amazing results. For watering in my greenhouse, I use water from my koi pond. Any “fish water” will do, as long as it’s not salt water. I swear by it. Magical results. Something in fish poop makes plants happier and healthier.

2 Likes

Thanks @townray for your input to the discussion, very interesting and yes, I’m very familiar with the grazon product’s used in the pastures & even in the hay fields. Weeds are both ranchers and farmer’s enemy. Usually, we use the packaged black cow manure, now when we can find it, but who knows where it came from lol
. What type of cantaloupes do you prefer? We grew ambrosia for a few years and was fantastic, kept growing from their seed’s till now because the westerns were bigger, better and sweeter for some reason. Makes me wonder after so many years are their seeds just getting old, as we do in our lives as we get older. And thank you for my mistaken spelling of Cantaloupe:)

1 Like

Thank you @cassandra21 , my friend. Chicken poo is the choice also in our cotton, soybeans and corn farmers. Have never tried it but probably great on the melon patches.

1 Like

I would like to grow a garden but everyone I know around here is in the business so I make the rounds and support my local farmers and friends.

4 Likes

Been meaning to ask you if you planted this year. Last time I grew watermelon and cantaloupes, the watermelon did good, but the cantaloupes kept on splitting open on me. I think it was from the Arizona heat. I use compost to enrich the soil. Defiantly don’t grow on the scale you do though.

2 Likes

the ones I have going this year we’re the last ones in a pack from last year or the year before, but I don’t recall the variety, and the package is gone.
I have used seeds from store bought cantaloupes and honeydews. doing that can be hit and miss, but it has worked for me on occasion.
I missed any misspellings in your message (and probably in mine too :neutral_face:)

2 Likes

…were, not we’re…spellcheck can do some weird stuff sometimes

2 Likes

Thanks @Craig_Anthony , as a former member of the Alabama Growers Association, I know the farmers at you’re market’s sincerely appreciate your support.

3 Likes

Hi @lyn555 , our watermelon’s did great, both crimson & jubilee. The westen cantaloupe did great but The ambrosia did indeed split open on us. Normally after opening up one, we save the seeds to plant next year. I just asumed after using the same seeds repetively for 7 years that was the problem. It was also a very hot summer here also though. By the way you probably do grow as much as we do, now or even more. We scaled back a lot this year for many reasons, but always will enjoy planting a seed and wacthing it grow:))

2 Likes

My pleasure. Good people, good food

1 Like

I see a common theme in the reply’s and I agree totaly, enriching the soil is a very important part of success. Has anyone heard of or tried a method called electroculture and if so do you believe it will work to regenerate the soil? For me it’s hard to believe but is it worth trying?

I know about it but that beautiful soil you are trusting growing awesome foods aren’t worth it to me.

Give me the natural loam anytime to grow life .

1 Like

I agree @Craig_Anthony and would never consider manmade voltage in any soil. I am referring to natural electricity. Theory is, Atmospheric electricity is always present, and during fine weather away from thunderstorms, the air above the surface of Earth is positively charged, while the Earth’s surface charge is negative which will provide natural electrical current.

I’m a New Englander and I’ve been blessed to grow in this rich black soil . I wouldn’t want to grow in anything else. That’s like cavemen using a Sears propane grill :wink:

1 Like

I totally understand, my friend and wish we had rich black soil in the south. I’m just always interested in, a new or untapped technology.

1 Like

Great topic Greg, I haven’t tried watermelon or cantaloupe’s but thought about it, this year I did plant some raspberries , cabbage, onion, radishes etc so maybe next year I will give watermeoln a try. :slight_smile: Might need some pointers though lol

1 Like

Thanks @doll46 , Both are very nutritional and taste even better when home grown. I’m sure everyone would be more than happy to help with any questions or concerns, my friend.

Red raspberry is my favorite plus a great antioxidant and beneficial for diabetes prevention and management. I’m a diabetic type 2 .

1 Like