Eat Your Veggies!

veggies

I’m preparing to cook the meals at my mom’s house in a couple of weeks–our first visit to my spry, independent 93-year-old mother since the beginning of the pandemic. Hurray! Mom has always cooked veggies to the point of mushy/soggy. (These days she claims soggy vegetables are the secret to her health and longevity. And candy. Lots of candy.) My goal now is to introduce her to alternative ways of preparing this essential food group. I have a few favorites of my own, like oven-grilled asparagus. What’s your best suggestion?

7 Likes

roasted Cauliflower - chop to bite size pieces - toss in olive oil, garlic and lemon juice - in the oven for 30 minutes or so turning once.

4 Likes

On an aluminum foil lined baking sheet, place uncooked Brussels sprouts cut in half. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, remove from oven and place in large bowl, drizzle with extra Virgin olive oil.

Bon appetite!

Tell mom your friend Craig sends his best.
I’m so happy your able to go now Jan :heart:

5 Likes

Thank you, my friend Craig! Great instructions and a wonderful message for my mama. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds sooo good! Way better than cauliflower mush!

2 Likes

Now i got hungry :slight_smile: Mums

2 Likes

Mums = Yummy

3 Likes

haha me a mum got scared then for a moment love kids but love my sleep so much more :slight_smile: have my nephews and thats enough for me. Good job to all the Mums out there no idea how you do it - tips hat

Tiggs xxx

3 Likes

I like:

• steamed (or baked) broccoli with cheese melted on top
  • stir fried with a little bit of meat
  • in incredible amounts in slow cooked stews (6+ hours)
  • bacon wrapped asparagus
  • all sorts of great salads
  • on pizza
  • eggplant fried in a cast iron pan with tofu and pork and hot sauce, or as a casserole under a meat/tomato based sauce
5 Likes

I do like broccoli cut to bite size pieces not really small.

Bring a pan of lightly salted water to a boil. Toss in the broccoli, cover pan and remove from the heat and it should be ready in less than 2 minutes. I like it al dente. The melted cheese topping suggestion above sounds like a good addition.

2 Likes

Leave well enough alone

2 Likes

There is nothing like grilled fresh veggies that don’t get mushy. You can buy a grilling basket on Amazon so you don’t lose anything in between the grates. Much better than aluminum foil wrapped on the barbecue.

4 Likes

I suggest you make them soggy, the way she likes them.

At 93, you’re probably not gonna change her mind, especially if she links soggy veggies to her long life and good health. Never fight a battle you don’t have to win!

5 Likes

My mom used to cook asparagus by boiling it til it was like snot.
I either fry it or broil it in my oven with garlic salt, pepper and onion salt until it still has some integrity to it and lo and behold it’s actually edible.
I love broccoli and cauliflower cooked the same way.

2 Likes

Jan - if your mother likes soggy vegetables and spices I would suggest she tries Gari Foto - one of my moms favourite vegetable dishes and very partial to it also . - delicious

5 Likes

This looks perfect for Mom! Thank you for sharing this. I’m excited about it.

2 Likes

I’m going to make this for me :+1:t2: Thank you!

1 Like

It depends on your Mom’s choppers. Also, her digestion may not be able to handle too much.
But, there is lots of dishes where soggy is good. Green beans braised in olive oil and chicken stock with garlic and fresh herbs, mashed potato and celery root with butter, stuffed bell peppers or cabbage, brussel sprouts roasted with garlic and olive oil in a covered casserole dish.
But, yes, she may like oven-grilled asparagus or zucchini or slow roasted tomatoes.
What ever you do, I’m sure she’ll appreciate it and I’m so happy that you will get to see her again. Bon apetito!

2 Likes

Did someone say stuffed bell peppers :bell_pepper:?

That’s my dinner tonight lol :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Mum is right. All green veg has to be boiled or steamed to where they can be mashed with the potatoes. Been that way since I was able to handle a fork and that’s a long time. Listen to your mother. :blush:

2 Likes