Comfort Food

Have you got a favorite comfort food? (Favorite DRINK is a topic for another day!)
Post a photo if it’s a product, post a recipe if it’s something you make at home. Here’s mine, a clear hold-over from my childhood:

4 Likes

My favorite comfort food when not ordering out is Red Baron Supreme Pizza!!! Cook it in the oven for about 20 minutes at 425 degrees and it’s ready to eat! In my opinion it’s delicious and is my go to comfort food when I don’t want to order out.

61Hln9ja7-L

-Marc

3 Likes

My comfort food ? Mini meatloaf muffins!
I’m sooo damn domesticated lol

6 Likes

I’m looking up a recipe for those right now! Yum.

1 Like

They are jammin. Regular meatloaf receipe, fill cups, bake 30 minutes @350, let cool, freeze in freezer bag or containers, thaw when you want some, microwave, rinse, repeat lol.

Jan, 3 lbs of hamburg Batter will make 24.

Enjoy :blush:

1 Like

I love my own manly “quiche” recipe, which started out years ago as an actual quiche, but was altered to the point that I no longer know what to call it except delicious!

1 pound bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
1 pound deli ham
1 pound deli turkey breast
1/2 pound sharp cheddar, shredded
1/2 pound mozzarella, shredded
1/2 pound Monterey Jack, shredded
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 eggs
2 deep dish pie crusts

Start the bacon, and while it’s cooking shred the ham and turkey into a big bowl. Don’t cut it, take one piece at a time and pull it into small pieces. When the bacon is done, drain it, then crumple it up and add half of it to the bowl. Dump the cheeses into the bowl too, then get in there with your hands and mix it all up.

In another bowl, beat the 3 eggs, then add the cream and mix that all up good. Dump that mixture into the big bowl with the meats and cheeses, and give that a good mix too. Yes, I do this with my hands too. Now fill the pie crusts with this gooey mix, top it with the rest of the bacon, then pop it into a 325 F oven for about 40 minutes. Let it cool 10 or 15 minutes so it sort of holds together and then, well, eat it.

You can store any left-overs in the refrigerator, ans it will taste even better the next day. It also freezes well, but I never have enough to freeze unless I make 4.

NOTE: don’t add salt, the bacon is salty enough. In fact, it’s best when you don’t add anything else!

2 Likes

THIS! :slight_smile: Rushing out for ingredients.

Makin’ 'em tomorrow!

1 Like

Etouffee

Roux
1 Stick Butter
1/2 Cup Flour

Cajun trinity
3/4 Cup Chopped Onions
3/4 Cup Chopped Celery
3/4 Cup Chopped Bell Peppers

3-5 Cloves of minced Garlic
1 ½ Tbsp Cajun Essence (recipe below)
1 ½ tsp of Tony Chachere’s Cajun seasoning-skip this if you don’t want it spicy
½ – 1 cup white wine that you like.
3 Cups Shrimp Stock (recipe below) or Chicken Stock or any other you want to make.

Garnish
1/4 Cup Chopped Green Onion Tops
1/4 Cup Chopped Parsley

Meat
12 oz Cooked Crawfish (usually from a bag) or Raw shrimp peeled, de-veined and cut in half.
**Substitute chicken, rabbit (aka “hoppy chicken”) or anything else you might think would be good.
**Optional – 12-15 oz can diced tomatoes or freshly chopped tomatoes.
**Optional - 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
Tomatoes are optional because Creole cooking uses tomatoes and Cajun cooking does not.

To make the Roux-
In small non stick pan melt 1 stick of butter and add the ½ cup of flour.
Stir continuously (not kidding) for up to 45 minutes over medium heat until it has thickened and turned a reddish brown. It takes me 15 minutes on my stove. Set this aside.

In cast Iron skillet pre-heated over medium heat-Add your “trinity” (chopped onions, celery, bell peppers). I don’t add oil because the liquid content of the veggies will come out.

Allow to cook until vegetables begin to soften (approx 15 minutes).

Add garlic and white wine if using at this point.
Add about ½ of the stock, stir in the roux and then the remaining stock if needed. I always need it. Hopefully you remembered to make your stock in advance!!!

Add 1 ½ Tbsp of cajun essence and the Tony Chachere’s if using-I do.
Add tomato and paste if using at this point-liquid from tomatoes will replace some of stock.
Add shrimp or other meat at this time-if you have crawfish add some water (or stock) to the bag to help loosen the fat and pour that into your skillet as well-which is why you may not have used all the stock.

Simmer for about 10-15 minutes.

Depending on the meat you use this time may differ. Meat that is already cooked may need less simmer. Raw shrimp you may not need to cook as long etc.

Serve over hot rice. Use par boiled rice-you will be glad you did. I like to put the rice in the middle of a plate or wide bowl and ladle the etouffee all around it and garnish with some fresh-chopped parsley, green onion tops and a little Tabasco for color and the flavor.

Cajun Essence
3 Tbsp Paprika
2 Tbsp Salt
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Tbsp Dried Oregano
1 Tbsp Dried Thyme
combine all of this together in a jar and use only the amount as indicated in the above recipe!!!

Stock
Using whatever veggies you want
Add celery tops, onion tops and garlic ends to the shrimp heads, shells and tails with about 4-5 cups of water. After boiling simmer for about 1 hour. A little Tony Chachere’s sprinkled in this works too. If not flavorful enough to suit you add some chicken stock or bouillon to it. Strain though wire mesh into a bowl. If you make this in advance and freeze it you may save a little time making dinner.

1 Like

I have always wanted this recipe! Many thanks for sharing.

You’re welcome Jan. I got it from a one-armed Cajun. Well he gave me most of it, Emeril Lagasse provided the “cajun essence” and I just made it part of this.

1 Like

Let the games begin lol

2 Likes

OH my!

For me has to be a a home made Sunday roast dinner with proper Yorkshire Puddings

Tigg x

3 Likes

2 Likes

Comfort food? Don’t need no steenkin’ recipes.

Breakfast: peanut butter toast with bacon.

Lunch: Bleu Cheeseburger and shoestring fries

Dinner: Anchovy pizza.

I learned to love anchovy pizza as a sophomore in college. I could park in the frat house TV room with my pizza and nobody ever asked to share. Asked me to get the stinking fish out of there, yes. But the pie was all mine.

2 Likes

I like my carbs so I am a bread and butter kind of guy.

1 Like

I’ll join you for the bread as long as I’m allowed to toast it a crumby crunch before I put the butter on. The butter needs to remain its own entity.

1 Like

Soon I will be very comfortable AND FULL. 9 toppings, 3 cheeses. Now there’s some carbs for ya ? Lol

4 Likes

Any left? I love cold pizza for breakfast!

2 Likes