Kickin' Nicotine

From my work in high schools during my career, I have become keenly aware of the need not to just set the rules but to be prepared with the consequences. I don’t know who would pay the consequences if nicotine products were banned, but I do think it couldn’t be jail. There’s not enough concrete to build enough jails to hold producers and consumers of nicotine products–me thinks.

2 Likes

While I was farming Burley Tobacco We would cut the flower tops off and sprayed it with a Spray to keep it from blooming and throwing out sucker shoots. This would make the leaves Huge and heavy over many weeks. So many Warnings on the Label not funny. Do not have any contact with product-use gloves only- XXX - Do not inhale etc. etc… Luckily I’ve Only smoked 6 or 7 cigs My whole life and that was before I started farming.

3 Likes

Fines would work and the money taken out of tax refunds. Community service would work as well. Someone mentioned most smokers are the least that can afford it. I hope using our tax dollars for welfare money or SNAP in some corner store illegally selling nicotine products and taking payments from that isn’t happening but I know it is. Sad ….

Jail would be absurd unless it was a big money tycoon growing tobacco if it was made illegal.

2 Likes

Yesterday all I smoked was 1 cigarette, and a couple drags off of another, then walked around with a UN -LIT cigarette in my mouth, while I cleaned house etc…it works!
Today I have had NO cigarettes, just walking around with a UN - LIT cig , soon I will be going for no cigarette there at all…I got this :grinning: :+1:

4 Likes

The label on the spray said…no contact, wear gloves ?
That’s awful, so glad I quit, I will never smoke again!
Thank You for that info, and very glad you have only smoked 6 or 7 cigs for your entire life.

1 Like

Let’s look at what’s worked so far. The rate of people smoking is far less than it was even 20 years ago, and even the kids are less likely to smoke now.

(1) Constant media messages against smoking, discussing the negatives of smoking, showing the health issues, teaching the dangers in school.
(2) Restricting availability and advertising. We haven’t seen cigarette commercials on TV since 1977.
(3) Tax the heck out of them. Make it financially unfeasible.
(4) Restrict the use inside of public buildings.

How about (5) Cigarettes can only be purchased in specialty stores, the way some states regulate hard alcohol and marijuana?
(6) Add the same regulations for vaping materials, and disallow the advertising of them as safe or preferred methods of quitting smoking (and the advertising of them, period).
(7) Remove advertising from print and online media as well.

You got this :+1:t2: Proud of you :clap:t2:

Beware of the hype. I stopped smoking over 30 years ago. can assure you that you will have big problems in the future. I got to the point where cigarette smoke bothered me after
that. But guess what: those who listened and stopped smoking, by doctors’ statements are: the ones who end up with huge problems. I ended up needing a double bypass because my coronary arteries got blocked. That means an open-heart surgery.
If you never smoked, your chances are great. Those who stop are all ending up needing
major operations, or die. My best buddy, a smoker, had a near fatal heart attack after stopping smoking. This one resumed smoking, for the last 7 years, after his heart operation, and is doing great. There are no true scientific results showing that stopping is good. Don’t smoke, or keep smoking, as your body deals with the bad effects of nicotine, tar, etc. When I stopped, I completely kicked the habit, but the damages kept on. Now that you stopped, hang in there, but pray - a lot - that you won’t be the one
to get in trouble in the future. Smoking is bad, so don’t start. But just as true: If you smoked, stopping does not `obsolve" you from the negative effects of smoking.

I hate to be in this position - but I’m afraid this post has raised the issue for me. There are those of us who prefer to listen to “a friend of a friend” stories, or use certain social media that caters to their pre-held belief systems, or tend to relate unrelated events (I put on a sweater and then got hit by a car, so wearing sweaters causes car accidents…).

But - for those of you - like me - who like to research unbiased, science=based facts, here is some information from the CDC (Center for Disease Control). If you prefer, visit the American Heart Association web site (or any similar one in your country). From the CDC:

"Quitting smoking is one of the most important actions people who smoke can take to reduce their risk for cardiovascular disease. Quitting smoking:

• reduces the risk of disease and death from cardiovascular disease.
  • reduces markers of inflammation and hypercoagulability.
  • leads to rapid improvement in high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) levels.
  • reduces the development of subclinical atherosclerosis and slows its progression over time.
  • reduces the risk of coronary heart disease with risk falling sharply 1-2 years after cessation and then declining more slowly over the longer term.
    *reduces the risk of disease and death from stroke with risk approaching that of never smokers after cessation.
  • reduces the risk of abdominal aortic aneurysm, with risk reduction increasing with time since cessation.
  • may reduce the risk of atrial fibrillation, sudden cardiac death, heart failure, venous thromboembolism, and peripheral arterial disease (PAD).

People already diagnosed with coronary heart disease also benefit from quitting smoking.
Quitting smoking after a diagnosis of coronary heart disease:

• reduces the risk of premature death.
  • reduces the risk of death from heart disease,
  • reduces the risk of having a first heart attack or another heart attack.

Respiratory Health Benefits of Quitting Smoking:

Quitting smoking is one of the most important actions people who smoke can take to reduce their risk for respiratory diseases.

Quitting smoking:

• reduces the risk of developing COPD.
  • among those with COPD, slows the progression of COPD and reduces the loss of lung function over time.
  • reduces respiratory symptoms (e.g., cough, sputum production, wheezing).
  • reduces respiratory infections (e.g. bronchitis, pneumonia).
  • may improve lung function, reduce symptoms, and improve treatment outcomes among persons with asthma.

Cancer-Related Health Benefits of Quitting Smoking

Quitting smoking is one of the most important actions people who smoke can take to reduce their risk for cancer. Quitting smoking reduces the risk of 12 different cancers, including:

• acute myeloid leukemia (AML)
  • bladder
  • cancer of the lung
  • cervix
  • colon and rectum
  • esophagus
  • kidney
  • liver
  • mouth and throat (oral cavity and pharynx)
  • pancreas
  • stomach
  • voice box (larynx)

For cancer survivors, quitting smoking may improve prognosis and reduce risk of premature death."

Me: Lastly let us remember that Covid is now in the picture and is a disease of the lungs. Smoking and Covid are a poor combination for a good short or long-term outcome. If you have a doctor that is not encouraging you to quit smoking, change doctors! If you have friends who are not encouraging you to quit smoking they are 1. Also smokers and like company or 2. Not your friends. Forgive the rant, but I am DONE with misinformation! I come from a medical background and take this stuff seriously. I have done all I can do. The rest is up to you reading all this. If you are struggling to quit, you CAN do it. I did.

5 Likes

zona79

1m

I’m with you MCcats on this, You also have helped me considerably with this issue, and you are a good friend for it.
I thank You very much, and thank the rest of my friends that have supported me in this issue.
I’m done with smoking and glad that I’am done.
Your a very sweet lady :hugs: This is my 2nd day not smoking :smiley:

3 Likes

You can do it! We are all pulling for you!

2 Likes

Yes I can, I’m surprised that I’m on my 2nd day, so I know I can do this.
I’m not going to listen to the negativity, all that does is bring people down, I’m thinking positive thoughts about this.

3 Likes

Positive thoughts bring positive results :+1:t2:

1 Like

Exactly right zona. You are doing something that is so positive and beneficial for yourself. If you have done 2 days you are now an ex-smoker. In about 2 weeks time your sense of smell will start to return so I suggest you treat yourself to a walk in the local city gardens and actually smell the roses. Yep, just spend a few hours wandering and sniffing. I found that to be the biggest thrill when I was done with smoking.

1 Like

Now that you’ve become an ex smoker it’s baby steps. Stay away from triggers that will make you want to smoke. For some folks I’ve heard it’s

Coffee and smoking
Gambling and smoking
Driving and smoking
Smoking after a meal
Smoking to not want a big meal.

Etc, etc, etc….

Stay away from things that will make you have the craving to smoke.

This too shall pass… believe in yourself as I believe in you ….

3 Likes

5 days without smoking lets goo

2 Likes

Good job. Keep it up.

2 Likes

Thank You feelmysins I appreciate your support, there has been a couple times when I almost actually lit a cig and smoked it but, I was able to NOT do that, it’s very hard but, I do feel much better not smoking.
I had one Aunt that quit and she lived a very very long time after she did, she gained a little bit of weight but, was nothing to be concerned about, she was very thin like me and she needed some weight put on,
she even looked better with a bit of weight.
She has now passed away, but was not due to smoking.

1 Like

Your right, baby steps indeed. Well I cannot give up my coffee or gambling, and am doing great still.
Driving and not smoking doesn’t seem to bother me either, I just chew lots of gum.
Chewing gum and walking around with a UN-LIT cig really helps a lot.
Smoking after a meal is also hard but I’am winning so far, one thing that bothers me is my husband goes outside a lot, which when I smoked we always went outside but, the issue there is, I know what he’s out there doing which makes it hard for me, because he wont stop smoking so yes, baby steps indeed.
If you know of anyone who wants to buy a husband let me know and I will sale him.
It means a lot to me when you and other friends tell me I can do it, and that you believe in me.
So a big thank you to YOU, and other’s here in the forum and replay messages that has helped make this easier for me. JanCee for starting this thread and her support, SharonSmarty, starbritexx, MCcats for their replay messages, and or posts here in the forum.
And I hope that this thread has made it easier for other’s who are trying to quit, and or wanting to quit.
This is a great thread and hope it continues with positive thoughts and comments.
Going back and reading the messages and positive posts, really does help tremendously.

1 Like

My wife didn’t stop when I did so I know exactly what you mean. (she has now for almost 5 years). She never went outside for a cig, but she regularly went out to “do some gardening” and always came back smelling of mouthwash. I never noticed much change to the garden but hey, if Lady sins felt the need to garden at 2am after 6 hours of wine tasting, who am I to complain.
Your posts tell me you have decided to stop. The fact that you didn’t spark up that cigarette today shows that you are no longer addicted and you are in control. Tempted yes, Addicted no. That right there is the secret to success. You have just proven to yourself that you don’t need it. YOU ARE DONE WITH THAT SH…
Now, I’m totally going to disagree with Craig’s advice to avoid triggers. Sorry Craig but you are flat out wrong. Avoid triggers… bs. no friends, food, gambling, driving etc. . Geez I’d sooner be dead.
You have changed 1 little thing in your life so why should it change all things. Your friends are still your friends, your loves and passions are constant and undeniable.
zona. Reward yourself by taking your 2 besties for coffee in that fancy new place. Gossip, exchange lies, and all the other magical, mysterious stuff you ladies do and appreciate that you spent the whole time with them rather than sitting outside for 10 minutes.
You are an ex smoker, Continue to enjoy all the things you love.
You are not trying to quit. You are done with that nonsense.

1 Like