Guru is back with another bad fold :/

The Hand

I had AJ offsuit in this hand.

I don’t have notes on frtiger. I know 2x is his standard open size, so can’t read much into that—by default I have him on a “normal” UTG open raise. So he has AQ+ and TT+ in my mind. Maybe a bit wider, could throw in some combos of AJs and a few smaller pocket pairs I suppose.

Flop seems a clear and trivial call.

On the turn, I expect an ace to at least THINK ABOUT slowing down—I have a lot of Qx in my range as played. When he bets pot again it is terrifying from my perspective. Now the value hands should be AK, AQ, AA, QQ, and that’s pretty much it. All of which have me practically drawing dead.

What are the bluffs? Underpairs? Seems suicidal. And I can’t give him much KJ/KT or other straight draws, given the UTG open.

So I folded reluctantly. Without information that this player will get out of line, it seems like the right play to me.

But then again, what is my range to not 3bet preflop? Am I not near top of range with AJ? Should I be worried about not being exploitable in this spot, or is the average Replay opponent simply so value heavy on this node that it’s fine to fold everything but the almost-nuts?

I welcome your feedback!

1 Like

They bet pot into 4 people on the flop. They’re either a maniac, overvaluing a hand like AK, or have at least AQ.
I would never find it in game, but I think this is probably a fold on the flop. I’m probably reading a bit much into the bet sizing because with a name like Warp Speed I imagine this is a lightning table where you really only have time to click half or full pot. Still, when they pot it again on the turn, your choices are essentially all in or fold, and all-in seems crazy.
I imagine you can have pocket 4’s and A4s sometimes, so AJ might be more middle of your range (that calls the flop), but it really doesn’t matter in this case because of the flop bet into 4 ranges. The villain should be extremely value heavy in that spot.

AJo actually seems like a bad hand to call with preflop against a UTG open, so the most correct answer in this case is probably to fold it pre even. It’s not a very fun answer though, so I’d probably 3-bet it instead :slight_smile:

Anyway, very good fold in this case IMHO

1 Like

Thanks lihiue. Always appreciate your input.

I think the most salient point here is that this should just be a 3! or fold pre. If I don’t think I can profitably pressure his UTG open with this holding, I should just muck it.

It is tempting to take such a reasonably strong hand to a flop in position, but to have enough playability against (what should be) such a condensed range, maybe I should start with AJs for broadway flats, and then add 1 or 2 low suited connectors like 67s for board coverage.

I would have folded, too. When dumb players hit my table, I think to myself, “This isn’t poker.” There’s nothing to do here.

So I wait for exploits or sit out.

And hope they play more hands so they can learn from experience.

You seem like a new school GTO player. Very sharp. But on Replay, OLD SCHOOL RULES.

1 Like

Tough spot, I was in same position in frozen comet last night, I did same as you, I folded then wondered to myself, was that a good fold, should I have even started this hand, and luckily a new hand comes about every 30 seconds, with a very big prize pool at stake, for me that’s more of a final table hand, when the pressure is on and big blinds force play, I believe the choice I made was correct.

2 Likes

Hi YoungGuru, your post stuck in my mind and I re-read it. I think the key is to be flexible in those spots. I make mistakes all the time and like Rain and you, I wonder if the fold was smart.
While aggression is important, patience can really pay off.

Thanks for the great post.