Foodies Unite!

Coming back to the meatballs and gravy. Couple of tips for the real foodie cooks at home.

Meatballs: let’s flavor it up. I like to use 2 spicy sausages per 12 meatballs to the mix. Split the casings and spoon out the insides and add to the mix. Columbian Chorizo is an excellent choice. Don’t forget to pan sear the meatballs in a good Mediterranean olive oil in a cast iron skillet before baking. This ensures they won’t fall apart in the gravy (sauce) .

Sauce: let’s get creative here since you’ve taken the leap on the meatballs. I always toss 4 1/2 pieces of a good pepperoni in while simmering the meatballs. The oils from the pepperoni add the most delicious flavor to both the meatballs and gravy. ( this is for red sauce only ) .

Try using this on top of angel hair pasta or rice and don’t forget a nice soft pita bread for dipping.

Enjoy :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks to Sufia on the site for having a Moroccan Tagine as an avator and talking to her about it I have bought one and have been cooking my moms Chicken and Apricot recipe in it .

• this video is basically the recipe . - easy to make and would recommend giving it a go- .really tasty
1 Like

Nothing like a bowl full of Chili on a cold, snowy/rainy day in New England .

Everyone is invited. Bring some crusty bread please :joy:

2 Likes

Never underestimate the flavor of a nice clean , healthy salad using Ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese.

3 Likes

This!

1 Like

So good Jan

Ditch the unhealthy mayonnaise in your potato salad this summer and substitute with olive oil, lime and parsley :+1:t2:

1 Like

Sounds like a great option. I was getting a little sick of mayo!

1 Like

So good and so healthy!

coleslaw recipe

1 medium onion, cut into chunks.

1 green apple, cored and cut into chunks.

about 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

about 1/3 cup olive oil

Optional

1 tbsp of sugar or honey if you want it sweetened

Salt & Pepper to taste if you wish

Put all ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth and creamy. Pour over thinly-sliced cabbage and carrot then mix to coat.

1 Like

My Slaw Recipe

Also great as a topping on burgers

6 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup red onion, diced
1 carrot, peeled, and grated
1 cup fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 tablespoon parsley, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
Himalayan salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Directions

Toss cabbage, onion, carrot, tomatoes, and parsley until well mixed.

In a small bowl, mix oil, vinegar, sugar, dry mustard, garlic powder, celery seed, salt, and pepper. Pour oil mixture over cabbage and toss.

Chill for two hours before serving.

Enjoy

2 Likes

Please send me some of your peppers, I will send a melon and I’ll pay for your shipping if you pay for mine my friend :smiley:

LOL, thanks for the offer but I think I’m going to have to pass. Not sure if I can afford the shipping on your monster melons. If my peppers produce this year, I’ll send ya some pictures.

2 Likes

Howdy my friend @lyn555 , what kind of peppers are you growing? We love peppers!!

Hatch green chiles, they are about the same as Anaheim chilies. Hatch chilies are hotter though. I roast em over an open fire, as most folks do, just thinking about the smell of roasting chilies makes my mouth water. The town of Hatch, NM is famous for their chilies.

3 Likes

Fresh Hatch chilies on the grill with a few more varieties on top rack :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Nice, I usually use Poblano peppers as a Chile base, when making Chile Relenos. Wonder how these would be instead?

2 Likes

As long as you put them in a bowl covered with Saran Wrap to steam for 15 minutes before they cool down, they would be excellent :+1:t2:

You don’t have to remove the skin like I do with Poblano’s? & how hot are they?

Craig, yes sir, get er dun. About the only thing I could add is, might want to wear some gloves when pealing the chilies. Or you may get a rude awakening if you need to use the restroom. Mine very in hotness, had some so that were so hot a tablespoon was enough to season a large pot of beans.

2 Likes