Foodies Unite!

hmmm. don’t know about the red yolks…I think I like traditional ones. Now if they really are magic…Hmmm you try um first :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Deliciously sweet.

Daddy’s!!! Wood fired pizza in New York City on the west side. Hour wait outside, dress warm.
OMG , indescribable :drooling_face:

4 Likes

I lived in L.A. back in the 80’s. Couldn’t stay away from FatBurger late on a Friday or Saturday night. Haven’t had one in almost 40 years but was a great memory.

1 Like

Tommy’s Hamburgers and In and Out in LA also.

1 Like

Ok good people. If your going to make a dish worthy of your time , if it calls for salt please use Himalayan sea salt.

That’s all I wanted to say right now.

2 Likes

My husband always says, NaCl is NaCl. Not true?

1 Like

If you’re a true foodie the last thing you want to use is a common table salt, yuck :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

I just wonder why. Texture mostly? Freshly ground?

1 Like

Taste is always #1 Jan. The salt is hand extracted and minimally processed to yield an unrefined product that’s free of additives and much more natural than table salt.

Plus it looks good because it’s pink :joy:

1 Like

I use non iodized sea salt, but have not tried Himalayan. Will have to venture a bit into the unknown.

1 Like

Take a walk on the wild side :wink: you’ll be pleasantly surprised :+1:t2:

1 Like

The “walk” has begun…added to my salad last night…will be trying it on a bigger dish in the next day or so.
Picture1

2 Likes

That’s outstanding :+1:t2: thank you for taking some expert advice.

2 Likes

It’s been awhile since I posted in this thread so here we go.

Yes, you can eat your Christmas tree :christmas_tree::joy:

Pinebark Stew

Don’t worry, you won’t actually be munching on bark. The stew is made with any freshwater fish, a tomato-curry broth with chunks of potatoes, and, yes, a hint of fresh pine. This interpretation, made with catfish, gets a gentle dose of pine flavor two ways: vegetables roasted in pine-needle smoke and a garnish of finely chopped pine needles—similar to a sprinkle of rosemary.

INGREDIENTS

• 1 large Vidalia onion, quartered
    • 1 1/2 pounds whole small yellow potatoes
    • 6 garlic cloves, peeled
    • 4 cooked hickory-smoked bacon slices, crumbled, with the fat reserved
    • 4 to 5 handfuls clean fresh green pine needles, plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped for garnish
    • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
    • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 cup ketchup
    • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    • 1 teaspoon hot curry powder
    • 3 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes
    • 1 pound catfish fillets or strips of other freshwater fish, such as crappie, trout, or bass, cut into chunks

PREPARATION

1. Preheat the oven to 450 ̊F and turn on the vent hood if you’ve got one.

2. Toss the onion, potatoes, and garlic in a large bowl with the reserved bacon fat. Layer half of the pine needles in the bottom of a Dutch oven and set it over high heat. When the needles begin to smoke, add the onion, potatoes, and garlic, wrap tightly with foil and cover with the lid, and transfer to the oven. Let the vegetables roast and smoke for 25 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven and, using tongs, remove the vegetables from the pot. When the vegetables are cool enough to handle, chop the onion into bite-size pieces, halve or quarter the potatoes, and mince the garlic. (Discard the roasted pine needles.)

3. Return the vegetables to the pot and add water to cover, about
    11⁄2 quarts. Add the salt, pepper, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and curry powder and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and fish and cook for 10 minutes more, until the fish is cooked through.

4. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve garnished with the bacon crumbles and a sprinkle of finely chopped pine needles.

Bon Appetite :+1:t2:

I’m um taking a pass on this one.
Thanks anyway. :nauseated_face:

Not a fan of chowder Jan ? Yummy :drooling_face:

I got scared away by the name! I have had a special flavor of Oregon ice cream that I loved: Spruce and Rainwater. I’ve also had a boutique beer flavor called Spruce Ale that I loved. I will circle back (good term? lol) and revisit this chowder recipe. It might be great.

1 Like

Circle back :joy: . I’ll have to come up with a recipe for Spruce Meatballs :wink:

1 Like

Tried making Spruce tip smoked meatballs last night. No good. The house smelled like turpentine. Sticking with tried and true meatball recipes. The most prominent of the flavorings should always go in the red or brown gravy ( sauce).

2 Likes