Buying chips - ok or pure evil?

But how would you begin to figure out what improvements to make without the ability to analyze your play? How would you know where to improve or what changes to make? IMO, if you are going to have a more robust system for ranking players, it would be a good idea to provide access to the tools required for players to improve their games as well.

Would it? How, exactly, would this work?

If one goes from 900th to 800th, s it because they have gotten better, or could it be they are more active, or that those of higher rank have become less active, or that one or the other, has changed games or stakes, or any number of other reasons.

No, rank alone doesn’t mean much really.

1 Like

I’m just addressing the skill based ranking system concept. As to figuring out how improve one’s game, that’s something else again :wink:

Can’t argue that it would be a good idea to “provide access to the tools required for players to improve their games as well”.

1 Like

I don’t think that the level of activity has much to do with it. One can see this clearly on the SnG leaderboards, for instance; just because one player plays many more games than another doesn’t mean that their average changes(or their rank). Sure, a number of things can have an effect, but I did say “in a very general way”.

This article makes sense. If you play a lot of live cash games, you will see the same things as you see here on Replay. However unlikely, they do happen. I really can’t believe people are debating the algorithm of a free poker site. Play and have fun. Your money is not at stake.

3 Likes

NUMBER 2 IS SPOT ON. THIS IS NOT A MONETARY GAMBLING SITE THIS IS A SITE THAT YOU PLAY FOR FUN. IF I SPEND $60 ON CHIPS TO PLAY FOR SIX MONTHS THAT IS $10 A MONTH. I DONT DRINK DONT DO DRUGS MY ONLY VICE IS I AM A WORKAHOLIC AND IN BETWEEN JOBS THIS IS MY FUN TIME. YOUR COMMENTS WERE OUTSTANDING THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME. PEACE

3 Likes

Buying chips is wonderful!

1. It keeps the site going…

2. Chips make a great gift!

3. See one and two above…:heart_eyes:

5 Likes

I have carefully reviewed all points of view and concluded they are all valid and of value but in conclusion; who cares?

(not me)

1 Like

This is the first time I have responded to a post. This whole thread is so incredibly interesting, relevant and filled with intelligent and creative ideas I just had to say “thanks” to all the contributors. The idea of being able to rate ourselves against ourselves is brilliant - e.g. track our own progress. I have no idea how such things can be done so, for now, will just continue to enjoy RP and all the players on it who contribute so much to the site and to enjoyment at the tables.

4 Likes

Good for you. There is nothing wrong with buying chips, it gives players a chance to play more and try out different games and stake levels. I don’t think it is necessary to buy chips because those 500 chips you get for going bust at the bank can easily be turned into 20k or 200k by winning at the tables, but I can certainly understand wanting to move beyond the duck pond.

I care somewhat about rank and also have no problem with purchased chips counting towards rank. If someone wants to buy chips and just proudly look at the rank it gives them, then good for them. But if they want to try to put those chips into play, that’s even better because they need some skill to keep them (and that’s more for the rest of us to win).

It’s also interesting that it is cheaper, for a losing player, to play $10 buy-ins for real money at microstake levels than to play the 20k/40k cash game for play chips on Replay, The 3.75m buy-in costs $125 of real money!

3 Likes

Greetings Mr. Grmule,
I did the same exact thing as you… I bought the $2 package too…

What you do with the money in your entertainment budget is absolutely no one’s business but your’s, nor is it anyone’s place to make comments about another player’s choice to spend money or not. All of us here have the freedom to make our own personal choices. Replay also feels the same way as far as I know and can tell. As there are no gimmicks or any kind of pressure to purchase chips from Replay Poker… We’ve all tried to play and enjoy ourselves at other sites with the overwhelming barrage of brightly blinking lights at you all the time to purchase chips, or other annoying pop-ups for all sorts of things. Thank you Replay…

I want you to know I also could feel the emotions of your response. With you being a new player here at Replay Poker, please forgive the few in the group that perked up your ears, as you may have misunderstood some of their intent and direction of their comments.

I hope you can, just for a moment, consider that a majority of the players here are kind and friendly as well as helpful. You’ll have a large volunteer staff at your service. You can usually contact someone within a moments notice 24/7. They are here in the roll of Diplomats and Ambassadors. They are here to help us and keep an eye out for us, just like an Embassy does for it’s people …
I’ve sent a friend request so you can contact me pretty much directly. I think it would be a kick to help show you around the town little bit…
Rail-Bird :sunglasses:

6 Likes