Badonk's Donks Stables Social Chat

The silver tourneys are really really competitive compared to what the bronze tourneys were in February. Amazingly tough. Really good play. I may never win one but the challenge is worth it. Great improvement.

3 Likes

Tournament of Champions 4/6/2020

We’re still figuring out the leaderboard for this but the results for the first game appear below.

22/25 eligible Donks registered for this game, an 88% participation rate!

Position Player
1 ChicagoSerbs
2 pokerrick
3 1SGMIKE
4 Maxtilt
5 KirbyMuckIt
6 ghomer
7 Badonkidonk
8 Dorkupine
9 12beat22
10 Gotthejack
11 FatnSassy
12 flashlight_gt
13 TopSet
14 rachelbrown
15 -BlackWidow-
16 puggywug
17 TatorSalad
18 bahia7
19 whp0854
20 chuckcox
21 Panther101
22 lovelakeliven

Tournament of Champions 4/6/2020

Leaderboard is now up.

A few notes about the Hee Hawl of Fame leaderboard:

1. Our “guests” for the Tournament of Champions (that is, those players who have not won crowns, but won their weekday tournament the week of the TOC tournament) will not appear in the Leaderboard, as they can appear in only a fraction of our tournaments. Guests can win chips out of the tournament, and experience what it’s like to play in an all-crownwinner tournament. We’ll continue to post the full results of each weekly TOC so that the guests will be shown there, but on the spreadsheet they will only appear in the Weekly Data.
  2. For the TOC leaderboard, our rankings are based on the 12 games held in the quarter, and we will display both the total and the average. The average will be based on the number of games held, not the number of games a player has registered for, so if you miss a game, it hurts your average. Given that there are a few players who qualify for entry in our tournaments who will be unable to make our 7pm or 5pm start times, I find this less than ideal, as it will make it difficult for those who have a hard time making one time or the other able to compete in the league, because they’ll miss about half of the games.
  3. That said, this league is more about enjoyment of the game and less about competing, so we are not awarding crowns for the quarterly champion of this league.
  4. Parts of the leaderboard are still under construction and may have errors or be incomplete. At present, our Weekly Data and Leaderboard tabs are “good” (but do report any issues or potential issues if you see any) while other tabs that may be visible are still a work in progress.
  5. If you have suggestions for how to improve the leaderboards, let me and Badonk know
2 Likes

INAUGURAL TOUNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS
Congraulations to ChicagoSerbs for the win and to pokerrick and 1SGMIKE for placing 2nd and 3rd.
Congratulations to Maxtilt and ghomer who qualified by winning the weekly tournament and then finishing 4th and 6th
Congratulations to KirbyMuckIt for managing to finish 5th while cooking a delectable dinner.
Thank you, pug and as usual, very thorough.

Attention all Team Play Donks -

Totally Partisan Poker has re-branded and we are now Team Play Poker, but you can still find us in the same place :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update On the Hee Hawl of Fame Tournament of Champions Leaderboard Rules

@Badonkidonk and I have re-thought how we would like the leaderboard to work, and so are making a minor change:

The Tournament of Champions is for fun and our love of poker, and so we will not be formally crowning a champion for the Hee Hawl of Fame League. But because we’re all competitive players, we’re nevertheless having a leaderboard. Our desire for the leaderboard is to encourage participation and additional incentive for everyone to play their best poker game, by accurately ranking the best performances over the 12-game schedule. But most important of all was to create a schedule that allowed all of our Hawl of Famers to participate in as many of these tournaments as possible.

Due to the 7pm start time not working for some of our members, we made a late decision to run an alternating start time of 5pm and 7pm, in order to accommodate as many of our HOF players as possible. There were a few HOF Donks who could not make the 7pm time, and an equal number of HOF Donks who could not make the 5pm time. Most of us could play either time, but an equal number who can’t play at 7pm, can’t play at 5pm. The result of this is that, through no one’s fault, about 8 of us will unfortunately only be able to participate in about half of the Tournaments of Champions. We felt this was better than excluding four of us from 100% of these tournaments.

This decision affected the way we had planned to run the leaderboard for this series of tournaments. Prior to decision to alter our schedule, our plan had been to run a 12-game schedule for 2020Q2, with the leaderboard rankings determined by the average of each player’s Best 12 performances. This meant that, under our original plan, there would be no low scores dropped, and if a player missed a game, it would hurt their average.

Our last-minute schedule change creates a condition whereby about 8 of our 21 members will only be available to play in about half of the 12 games. Since this many absences would have blown their Best 12 Averages, we will be making an adjustment to the way the leaderboard works.

Rather than use a “Best 12” system that penalizes a player for missing any games, we will instead base each player’s PPG Average on the actual number of games that they registered for. We feel this is the fairest way to enable our players who can’t make both the 5pm and 7pm times to have a reasonable shot at ranking on the board.

However, we recognize that an unqualified average-based system runs the risk of a player participating in a small number of games and then quitting after placing high in their first game, in order to protect their PPG ranking. So, players will need to participate in a minimum number of tournaments in order to appear on the Tournament of Champions leaderboard. That minimum number is 5 tournaments. This allows our players who can only make 5pm or 7pm but not both the opportunity to qualify while missing up to 1 game, while all other players who are able to participate at either time and will therefore have additional opportunities will be able to miss as many as 7 of the 12 tournaments, and still qualify for the leaderboard.

To be clear, your averages on the HOF leaderboard will NOT be dropping any of your low scores for games that you register for, so you should strive to do your best in each tournament you register for. Your average will NOT be penalized by missing a game, as long as you manage to register for at least 5 of the 12 games.

We really wish that everyone would participate in as many games as they possibly can, but the realities of our schedules and living in different time zones make this difficult to realize in practice. Accordingly, this seems to be the best compromise solution to ensure that everyone has incentive to participate in as many games as they can, and to remove any “perverse” incentive to avoid participation in order to preserve one’s average.

So, then:

The way qualification works, the leaderboard will count the number of games remaining to be played in the quarter, and add that to the number of games that each player has participated in already. As long as this number is greater or equal to 5, they will appear as “qualified” on the board. Once you’ve participated in your 5th game, you’re assured of qualifying; but if you miss a game, it won’t count against you until such time as you’ve missed so many games that even if you have 100% participation for the remainder of the quarter, you will be unable to fill your minimum 5 games. If a player becomes mathematically unable to participate in the required 5 games by the final game of the quarter, at that point, their status will become “disqualified”. Disqualified players can still find themselves on the leaderboard, and will be able to see their tournament point total and average, but we’ll be ranking all the “qualified” players above the scores of “disqualified” players. This means that it may be possible for a “disqualified” player to have more points or a higher average than some “qualified” players.

So, if you care about your position in the rankings, make sure you qualify by playing in at least 5 games. If you care about having fun or winning chips, play in as many games as you can.

We believe a perfect solution is only possible if we could find a time for the tournament that worked for everyone, and so this is not a perfect solution, but this change will be better than our original plan, and that this change became necessary in light of the last minute adjustment to the timing of the tournaments.

Enjoy the tournaments, and good luck to all!

2 Likes

Hee Hawl of Fame Leaderboard
Thank you, pug. for posting such a good summary of our discussion of how we decided to formulate the leaderboard for the Hee Hawl of Fame League.

I’m still trying to get past Page 215, lol

1 Like

NEW HTLM5 FORMAT
Many of us are frustrated with the roll out of Replay’s new htlm5 format. It reminds me of when I first started playing on this site. I was unfamiliar with all the features and options available. I even raised when I wanted to fold and folded when I wanted to raise. I admit this is even worse, because it’s more than in-familiarity. Right now there are still many bugs in the new format.
Here’s some good news:

1. At this point in time, it has only been rolled out to the ring games and the SnG tournaments and our tournaments have not yet been impacted.
  2. Today we asked Replay about the specifics of when they plan to implement the new format onto our tournaments and requested that they delay imposing the new html5 format on our league until after the bugs are worked out. We’ll let you know how they reply.
    Let’s try to have some patience with them and see what happens.
1 Like

Well said B. We need to have patience and adjust to the new format. I have sent several “feed backs” to them about some of the glitches. I am sure that Replay will come through. The new format is a work in progress.

1 Like

NEW HTML5 FORMAT UPDATE

Here is my question and the answer from Replay.

Badonkidonk: Do you know when the new html5 format will be imposed on our league?
Replay: I cant say for sure but the games will be as stable as possible when we do.

This does not sound like it will happen soon. Is it a good sign that they used the word “stable”?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Comments of new tables. curious what other tester think

As the esteemed Donk of the month CHUCKCOX knows, I simply hate the new format. We played a game together yesterday and within 10 minutes I had a massive migraine, which I blamed on the format, not the lousy cards or the beating Chuck was administering to me. Serious - my head started to pound.

Well, my headache got better, as did my cards, and later in the evening I played a tourney that used the old format. I have a few hopes;

1. the migraine wasn’t from the new graphics. but they are really not good.
  2. replay will listen to our feedback and ‘fix’ things.
  3. the donk tourneys won’t be affected.
  4. you are all doing well during this pandemic. in the big picture, the format isn’t as important as what’s happening outside our doors, right?

so I will take a chill pill and some excederin and give it a little time.
stay well all
Tom

2 Likes

REPLY TO SARATOGATOM
Like with “what’s happening outside our doors” we must all do our part. Regarding the new format of the tables, we must all do our part by being patient with it and hope the bugs get worked out soon and it is “as stable as possible” (as they stated in their reply) before it is imposed on our league tournaments.
Thanks for your post on the subject.

TOURNAMENT LINKS
Here are the links to your tournaments this quarter:
Golden: Free Texas Holdem, Free Online Poker · Replay Poker
Silver Free Texas Holdem, Free Online Poker · Replay Poker
Badonkidonk should have included them in the reminder message.
Please save them in your device.

Yes the new tables have aesthetic problems and apparently lots of other little issues, but the only thing I’ve really noticed when I’ve been trying them is that I don’t much like ring games. Anyway, overall I support the move to HTML and would like to see at least 50% of S&G tournaments operating with the new tables asap so I can test the experience in a decent tournament.

1 Like

I was under the impression that all SnGs were on the new tables now.

LEADERBOARD UPDATES AFTER OUR TOURNAMENTS OF APRIL 8, 2020
To view all 3 leaderboards for a league, first click on that league’s bold blue lettering below.
Then click on the LeaderBoard tab at the bottom of that screen.

GOLDEN DONKS - BADONK’S MTT TOURNAMENT 287
Participation: 89%

SILVER DONKS - BADONK’S MTT TOURNAMENT 288
Participation: 67%

HEE HAWL OF FAME - No tournament today

ADDITIONAL NOMINEE
@scrub44 (ranked 1290) has been nominated by chuckcox to be the newest members of our Silver Donks League.
As usual, if an existing member knows of any reason why this nominee should not be inducted into our league, please message me or post here in our Stables. Otherwise, they will be inducted in time to play in our league tournament at 7pm EDT on Sunday April 12, 2020.
If you have a friend who wants to join our league, simply send me their name and we’ll take it from there.
If anyone else is interested in learning more about our league, post here or send a friend request to Badonkidonk. Thank you for helping us continue to recruit qualified members.

Grateful_ed](Profile - Grateful_ed - Replay Poker)

6h

I was under the impression that all SnGs were on the new tables now.

Oops, shows how often I play S&G.