Why can I not lay down Aces?

Thanks Sharon , Merry Christmas

AA pre-flop is just a pair. I know, I know. It’s aces! But it’s just a pair. Too many times I catch myself going gaga because I drew two aces. But honestly, at least at this level, one pair of anything just doesn’t seem to impress anybody. If your pre-flop was dealt face-up, there are still some of these folks who would call your bet and consider it a challenge to try to beat your aces. That’s the mentality out there.

1 Like

Just got my aces cracked in a 15k tournament by 9 3. Big preflop raise then allin on the flop, and they river the flush. It’s just sickening and it feels like there’s some wonky programming around here because it seems like when I have aces I’m usually losing to Kings they hit trip Kings or whatever.

But I lost my cool and cussed them out and there was a mod in the same table, so yeah I deserved to get in trouble. Just couldn’t believe how terrible a play that was.

I’m pretty sure that this site is rigged when it comes to the programming. I just played in a freeroll tournament, every single hand I had was pocket tens or better, every single flop I got two pair, straight, flush, fullhouse. I finally lost an all-in with two pair to quad aces. I’m pretty sure this site is rigged like many others.

AA ‘only’ wins about 53% of the time… That’s according to an ‘expert’ I know who I am fairly certain he “Knows”…

That Means AA loses 47% of the time, roughly speaking, of course…

I’m guessing my experience reflects that…

I suggest you start tracking your results…

Meanwhile, it really doesn’t matter what they lose to, the fact is “Any Two Cards” can and will beat any other two cards from time to time…

Some days when I am bored and in a tournament I keep track of what hand beat what hand, and you would be surprised (maybe) to see how often
9-3 o/s (and all the other crapola hands that should never have been allowed to play in the first place…) wins…

You can’t always Raise the 9-3 holder out of a hand, but if 9-3 in the BB gets to play the hand because someone else wants to ‘slowplay’ A-Q suited
then - you get what you pay for…

Bless…

1 - cursing has nothing to do with age, people might be religious or have common courtesy. I have no problem with cursing but I try not to do it anyway, because why go out of your way to be overly offensive?

2 - I’m really glad that comment on the doubleA’s was made, because I have to laugh every time someone acts like it’s a win-all-the-time hand. If anything else comes out during the flop, doubleA’s don’t mean squat, especially online. It’s the highest of the lowest hand! Can you bet big and have enough people drop out so your chances of winning are higher? Yes, but if someone is matching you on a big bet, they should have something too, and then it all depends on what comes out.

However, I must say that AA is NOT the same as 22. Seeing as, especially in hold’em, just having the high card can win, I’d say there’s a huge difference. But I think I get your point.

Aces pre-flop have a lot of value, but they can lose it in a matter of seconds. I’ve watched a lot of poker tournaments, pro players get beaten with AA and they have no problem with it because when they go all-in, they know there’s a chance they won’t win the pot, no matter how small those odds are. Just try to read your opponents and take more time to think before acting when holding a big hand because no matter what, you never know what’s coming up. Keep cool and good luck next time :wink:

Aurit Poker people , whats the craic?

The game that baffles continues to do so… But this time I’m on the greener side of the fence.
Playing an eight man, €15, re-buy, home game last night and the cards just kept coming starting with a nicely FLOPPED, yes flopped!, K-High Spade flush . Nice Start.
Then came the pocket Jacks and they kept on coming. In just under 5 hours of Poker I had woken up with pocket Jacks a staggering 7 times. Paid out fully 6 times and one incredible three way split. For the split my Jacks(my drinkin’ buddies for the night) seemed ,for a brief period, to have gotten me in to a little spot of bother when my slightly over aggro shove gets 2 callers in the form of pocket Aces and A,K. Ok , I’m in trouble here:unamused: . Until the most magic flop, turn and river. 7 8 4 5 6. A nice little straight for everyone involved. Ok the Jacks had no real part to play , or did they? Have you ever had a lucky run with the same holding in the same session over and over again . What do you do when you constantly find your self with good holdings? How do you change your approach from hand to hand? Play ‘em all the same? Limp some ? Shove some ? 3x up to 6x every now and again? Check Raise? Let me know because who doesn’t love talkin’ Poker

Aces if two or a pair are just a pair. Yet ,including me. some strong aura of power accompany’s those ACES.
So a pair = a pair.

I’m novice. so sorry if offending. God luck = good luck

Without reading all the other responses, my first thought is that you’re playing emotionally. Play the nuts all out and everything else appropriate to what’s on the board. It’s just a pair. A good pair, but just a pair.

In the end …( dramatic music )… pocket Aces are only margianly better then any other pocket pair, along will all the limitations of winning.

I recently lost 37,000,000 (out of the ~65,500,000 I had) by going on tilt and trying to mix it up with the 100k/200k sharks (which I did not have the bankroll for). Part of what lead me to go on tilt was one 10k/20k session in which I lost twice each with AA, KK, QQ, and AK. I actually managed to get away from these hands without losing my stack most of the time, but it was still really discouraging to play aggressively with premium starting hands and always end up behind to sets or crazy straighty flushy boards.

Once I was down to 28,500,000, I realized that just like every other poker situation it comes down to variance and sometimes you are just going to lose a bunch in a row. I decided that it was still fun to play and that worrying about losing chips was just going to make me lose, so I dropped down the stakes a little and now I am back over 51,000,000 after a month of not having much time to play. So, my point is: you should still get excited to see premium hands, play them fast to punish loose callers, and accept that sometimes you are going to lose. Most players on Replay make it extremely obvious when they have a hand better than top pair (i.e., that beats AA), so it can be pretty easy to fold big hands when your opponent slams the pot.

I love aces, but I’m not in love with them.

On flop, river or turn? Cash game or tourney? Eitherway, I cant remember ever folded AA & I think I’am still ahead over the long run.

Cheers

You’ve never folded aces at any point in the hand? I’ve rarely folded aces on the turn and not so rarely on the river. Sure it’s near the top of your range in most raised pots but when people start going all in I can put them on a set or flush etc. depending on the situation. Of course it depends on the opponent, but very few people outside of elite stakes can run a believable bluff.

I’m wayyy ahead with aces in the long run. That’s why I don’t get why some people are scared to get them. You can have a long losing session at ring and then make up for it all at once with aces.

Hi Everybody.

I think anyone trying to improve their poker game and make their chips last can learn much from this advice

I know the OP was about a tournament hand and Joe Dirk was talking about Ring games, but tournaments are structured to be more erratic by design because of the escalating blinds.

The starting point is Bankroll Management.

If you have a huge proportion of your Bank at a table, even the best hands on offer can be dangerous and variance eventually catches up with you. Suppose you are beating a game (not necessarily poker) where you win 19 games out of 20 which is way better than anyone does with Aces, but had to risk all your in-game balance every hand? Unless you leave the game and restart with the same stake each hand, it is inevitable that the 1 in 20 will bust you. Most people forget the lengthy run of 95% chances they carried off, and being human, we all remember the statistically bad deal that happened in the fatal losing hand. If you have an amount of chips in the game which is not going to cripple your Bank the times you unexpectedly lose, (which WILL happen), you can take variance in your stride, live to fight another day and win those chips back.
Rob

2 Likes

Can’t argue with that Mr. B.

I think bank management is the most overlooked aspect of the game, and one of the most important.