"Whew"

I tend to write “Whew!” in chat if I pull out a win I really needed (but didn’t expect). Is it rude to say 'Whew!" knowing that my win was at someone else’s expense?

7 Likes

I don’t see any problems Jan

5 Likes

I consider a Whew! from anyone which to me means, they didn’t expect the win and anyone who lost the hand should just provide congratulation’s.

5 Likes

don’t think so Jan but i say phew lol

4 Likes

Not rude at all Jan. I use “whew” on many occasions. Aren’t all wins at someone else’s expensive though? :laughing:

3 Likes

Doesn’t seem rude to me, it’s just a part of general banter. As cassandra 21 pointed out above, someone has to win,therefore someone has to lose. Unless it’s a multiple split pot and everyone goes home with a beer.

3 Likes

This is true. I have thought, though, that it was more gracious to just say ty when someone says nh. “Whew,” I feared, was salt in a wound to someone. I feel reassured.

2 Likes

If you didn’t offer me a beer after the tournament, I would feel offended lol.

1 Like

Very easy remedy, then, BeerEagle69. I’m hoping you like IPAs, because that’s all I’ve got!

2 Likes

I would not say whew! after any hand, because you may be giving away information to opponents, for example that you were bluffing. Remember that potentially all of the players at your table are studying your play and looking for chinks.

5 Likes

Interesting concept and very true regarding other players at the table. But also, That’s the great thing on the Replay Forums as we all converse, learn from each other and have great fellowship together. I’ve always said we are all different, just like snowflakes. Good Luck at the table’s

3 Likes

I realize that your kindness, which has no boundaries, is an excellent characteristic that is often associated with persons who possess a large amount of empathy. Perhaps this is true of you, Jan?

2 Likes

It must be true! :slight_smile: Can you provide me with a certificate of assurance saying that my kindness has no boundaries? I can think of effective uses for such a document. :wink:

2 Likes

Unless part of your bluff is pretending to be an open book at all times. :wink:

3 Likes

I would never say Whew or anything lmao.

2 Likes

I’ve said “Whew!” a few times, usually when I thought it’s my last hand but I was saved by the river. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

sometimes after I make a big river bet and everyone folds. I like to say Whew, I usually don’t bluff like that…

6 Likes

It never occurred to me that anyone would say “whew” at the end of a hand, unless their cards were showing… so, if everyone is already seeing my cards, I don’t see how I’m giving anything away.

3 Likes

i usually whew quiet a few times per mtt i just do not post it lol

6 Likes

Yup–it’s usually the river that makes me go “Phew!” (or “Booo!”).

3 Likes