Poker Acronyms, TYVM

I remember seeing NH and BRB and TY in the chat box early on in my poker playing on this site. Great shorthand options! Wish I could use those in face-to-face conversations. All the niceties, less time spent. LOL

Some people make long strings of these: “N2CU” and some people use “YW” when they are thanked for a TY. What do you use? Appreciate? Wish would go away? etc.

3 Likes

P.I.T.A is one of my favorites…pain in the arse :grin:

1 Like

When I first encountered acronyms I thought LOL meant Lots of Love, and wondered why people wrote that when I had called with a bad hand! Also it was ages before I cottoned on that : ( was frowning and : ) was smiling! I rarely use anything but nh or gg. I actually prefer to use full words if possible.

2 Likes

Funny story - we once got an abuse report because someone used the acronym “GF”. The player just meant “good fold,” but the reporter took it as something else. No, not “Gluten Free” … I’ll let you work it out. Just don’t post it here. :joy:

6 Likes

I didn’t know many at first, but quickly figured out nh, vnh, gh, vgh and lol. Took me awhile to figure out gg and I’m still not sure if nb is “nice bluff” or “nice bet”. Learned more as I went along, but had a couple misunderstandings along the way. It was after Christmas and a few people had started saying HNY (happy new year) to me, so I started saying HNY to my friends when I saw them. Had a few people think I was calling them “honey”, lol.

2 Likes

nb is an interesting one. I’ve seen it used both ways. We as a community should come to a consensus about this since they mean very different things. On several occasions someone said nb to me and I corrected them saying “not a bluff…had pocket Ks” or whatever. Then they would reply saying they meant nice bet and seemed to take exception to my correcting them. So yeah…what say we fix that. :wink:

1 Like

No wonder I’m muted :joy:

1 Like

I am probably the worst at figuring out acronyms. I used mf a lot…until I realized it meant my friend. Now I only use it correctly. It’s not just on this site though… Can’t say what I thought NSWF meant on things…or I’ll get edited. I did confuse me for a very long time though.

2 Likes

sometimes I say WP

1 Like

o i c

1 Like

I’ll bite: Is it “Oh, I see!”

Yes, when I never saw it coming

2 Likes

I will adopt this immediately! (Happens to me often.)