Vegetable Growing, help & tips

Coffee grounds…good. Potash…good, as in saving the ash from wood burning. I use to have a wood burning stove on my deck and I would save the ash to apply where needed as a remedy for acidic soil or add it to the compost as it lacks nitrogen, so is not a complete fertilizer.

1 Like

Our best garden area’s is where we rebuilt an older home and burned all of the replaced, wood materials.
It beats the other fields yearly in production.

2 Likes

Just an add on to my previous post about diatomaceous earth. I took my dear beloved Kitty to the vet at the end and he contracted mites while there. I noticed he was scratching his ears a lot, so took a closer look and saw what looked a bit like fine coffee grinds…an indication of ear mites. So, I applied the dia earth to the inner side of his ears and next day the mites were dead. Poor soul was already in some distress from kidney problems.
If you buy the dia earth be sure it is food grade so it can be consumed with out harm, but not breathed in.

1 Like

Ty for tip and information :slight_smile:

I use banana peels also on my roses. Great Blooms :+1:t2:

2 Likes

This is a great subject and I love talking about food. It reminds of when composting became an urban affair. It was like a miracle of waste management for me, because even tho I would take all the scraps, i.e. onion skins and ends, carrots peels, celery ends, etc. and turn them into stock, there is only so much stock one can keep on hand. And, I’ve been known to tourne a potato or two or shape up a carrot into fish for a stir fry or what have you. Then all of a sudden there was composting and I didn’t have to feel guilty about wasting all the trimmings from my prep work because I could throw it all into the bin and add it to the garden to grow more vegies to trim and tourne as I desired.
I wish people had more time to spend on the food they eat. It’s such a wonderous thing and ever so much better than buying up what is essentially processed waste like Gerber’s or protein powder or canned ham. Not to mention the fact that it’s hard to find a cut of meat with bones intact as it is more profitable to sell the bones to Campbells or Heinz. I used to go to the market and get a bag of bones for free to make soup or tomato sauce and now you pay a premium price for bones!
Alright:) end of rant - just an old European waxing nostalgic. But, don’t you think the world would be better off if we all spent the evening with family and friends and neighbours; eating and drinking and talking?

2 Likes

Nothing better than picking your own lettuce, onions & tomatoes out of your garden minutes before dinner. & everything else you want to eat.

2 Likes

If you have trees on your property, autumn’s fallen leaves are a terrific add to your compost heap. I spread our leaves (and often the neighbors’) onto the driveway and run the mower back and forth over them. The confetti-sized pieces go to the heap, and I wind up with a bucket or two of dust that goes right into the garden over the winter.

2 Likes

Absolutely, leaves or anything natural organic substance make a great compost additive to the garden. We have a big magnolia tree that sheds a lot of Huge leaves and pick up to wither away in two compost pile’s continuously. Then spread the pile twice a year, into the soil & till in.

Thank you my friend, Will you please share this and banana peelings on the Plants, Gardens, Cuttings–All the Feels!

Great topic for our landscapes and flowers, everyone.

2 Likes

I most certainly will

2 Likes

It has been harvest time for awhile. I hope everyone has had a great crop & if you have more veggies that you can’t eat or distribute to family, friend, neighbors, please find your local food bank and give to them. The recipient’s eyes will glow when they receive, your fresh produce :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s been a terrible spring in New England this year and crops are mostly ruined. The farmers markets are having a hard time and most are just donating what they to to them. Most items are free to the public as prices in the supermarket have skyrocketed.

2 Likes

Good deeds will come back to them for sure! I hope & pray you all have a better fall and winter.

1 Like

Looks like the squash are done for the year in N.E., Alabama, just too hot & dry for our later plants to produce much. But did have one prize Zucchini.

2 Likes

Fall planting is coming very soon!! time to get garden tilled/prepared for new crops. Potting your seeds hopefully from last years crop and waiting for their little heads to pop up.

Lettuce, Green onions/scallions, turnip greens, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and many more. Hope everyone is preparing and has a Great Harvest

I was cleaning my garden to get it ready for fall planting and as always you have to watch for friends…

4 Likes

What kind of snake is that ? Can you use it to eat , say on a soft taco ?

@Craig_Anthony , I wouldn’t care what kind of snake it is but more concerned where it’s mama is LOL. And I have no desire to eat a snake on anything. @FlKayak , thanks for the reminder, we always watch out for them, wearing PPE, we have found them in turnip green patches and especially in the melon patches, because certain weeds that the herbicide didn’t work.

1 Like

@Litenin wasn’t asking you but since you chimed in, snake is a delicacy in many countries and in even poorer nations not much more to eat. I guess you never had snake stew.