SWAG CONTEST: Happy birthday, Replay! Share what age you started playing poker for a shot at a swag or chips!

I started playing around 10 years old, been taking all the boys money ever since. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I started in my early 20+ and during college. There’s a saying “pro gamers can transition into pro poker players” easily. Back then, Bertrand "Elky " Grospellier was one of the many examples.

So I decided to give it a shot and fell in love with the game. Started from Facebook Zynga Poker and moved on to real money poker sites for e.g. Pokerstars, Full Tilt, GGPoker.

Watched almost all televised poker shows out there. My favourite players are Tom “durrrr” Dwan and Wiktor “limitless” Malinowski.

2 Likes

I played poker as a child with friends and family for matchsticks or pennies. In my early 20s, this was early in the 80s, I stumbled across a local card room that was attached to a bar I frequented, they were playing Omaha hi/lo poker, I was fascinated by the dynamic and the comradery that was going on, there was a steep learning curve, but eventually I started making money, the complexity of the trap, the calculations necessary to beat the game, I was hooked. I have been playing ever since, Hold’em came later, when it started to dominate the local cardrooms, because of media attention.

4 Likes

I started playing poker at 18, Had a great mom who tried and succeeded to teach me & brother what we need to know in life as we were growing up and to learn sports, money and even card games at very young age like go fish, kings corners and 5 card draw, still love that game, but don’t think it is an official poker game. But official poker was when I turned 18, learned 7 card stud at the Warrior Rivercamp. Great folks & Fishing !!!

6 Likes

i played the 5 card draw variant with my brother a little bit as a kid, then nothing for decades until i came across Replay poker and got hooked. Of course, it helped i couldn’t do wrong at the beginning despite not having a clue what am i doing. The latter is still true, the former, sadly, isn’t anymore :wink:

6 Likes

My father was a gambler so i started at a very early age… my father would take me to the bars, and like most, i watched my father play as he got drunk and lost lots. The only thing my father gave me WAS his gambling habit lol… started a once a month card game with 7 men and myself… we been playing together over 40 year and still play… never improved my game but i am a true gambler so win or lose u will find me playing somewhere lol…

2 Likes

I started when I was 16, on this great website

I played 5 card draw poker at school aged 13/14, we played a horrible game where the winner hit all the loser over the back of the hand with the pack of cards, still have a slightly indented knuckle to show for that.
I was introduced to Holdem through watching late night poker which ran on channel 4 in the UK between 1999 and 2002, I was captivated by it and rarely missed an episode. My time to actually play it was 2003 when I got blown off a ladder and was layed up for a few months at home, bored out my head.
I bought a lap top and joined the first site which popped up on Google which was Full Tilt. I happily played there for about a year and a half, although by the end had realised Holdem was not the game for me, and had started mostly playing stud Omaha and HORSE, where I did ok.
I went of travelling for a bit and never really bothered with poker when I returned to the UK until many years later and I joined replay. :grinning:

3 Likes

As a Teen I also played the game you speak of, here we called it bloody knuckles, for reasons of testosterone and stupidity, but hey great times those teen years!

2 Likes

Lol, our head teacher eventually had to step in as parents were complaining of there off spring coming home with broken hands, threatened to suspend us all, lol, halcyon days indeed, :joy:

2 Likes

I played with friends as a preteen, just for chips, no cash… Then didn’t play again until I joined Replay Poker. That was Jul, 2013. Love it, great fun.

1 Like

En fait, j’ai vraiment commencé à jouer au poker sur Replay et j’ai 68 ans !
Avant ça, j’ai fait quelques parties sans beaucoup d’intérêt
Par contre, j’adore jouer ici, et si je suis capable de faire de très gros pots, je suis aussi capable de perdre encore plus !
Je salue d’ailleurs mes camarades de jeu (presque toujours les mêmes) qui doivent se demander pourquoi je continue à jouer aussi mal !
Mais parce que je m’amuse énornmément !

Translation
In fact, I really started playing poker on Replay and I’m 68 years old!
Before that, I had a few parties without much interest
On the other hand, I love playing here, and if I am able to make very big pots, I am also capable of losing even more!
I also greet my playmates (almost always the same ones) who must be wondering why I continue to play so badly!
But because I’m having a lot of fun!

2 Likes

I started in HS around 16 with 7 card stud. Texas holdum was not a popular game back then. Then much later I mean years later I discovered Texas Holdum no limit and was hooked from then on till today.

1 Like

I was 16

A friend invited me to a hold’em party when I was about 40. I broke even that night but I was hooked. Since then I found out my Dad used to play nickel dime with his friends to earn golfing money.

25 years old. found yahoo poker which no longer exists. been learning since and watching poker on tv.

I started playing dealers choice poker in my early teens. It was the every evening event during the times that grandparents visited. I started playing Texas Holdem around 2004 and Omaha in the last few years after I learned it playing on Replay Poker!!!

It was probably 10 years ago, when I turned 60, that I started playing poker on an app on my computer. I had to figure it all out by myself and, needless to say, lost nearly all of the time.

About 18 months ago, I decided to write a slots app (I’m a software developer) and went on to write a Blackjack app as well. I then turned to poker and discovered Replay. Here on Replay I finally, slowly began to understand the subtleties of the game; I was fascinated no end by it all, now I’m totally hooked! So much so that I’m approaching my first Replay million now, so hoping to break through that barrier soon, something I never thought I’d do.

My poker app has helped me visualize my opponents cards as I make them visible to me. I don’t play against my opponents, just gathering data for stats to understand the possibilities better… it’s even more fascinating now!

Happy birthday Replay, and thank you for giving us such a super site to play.

2 Likes

Played brag and stud at school, around age 14/15 I guess.
Didn’t play Holdem until I discovered Late Night Poker on TV and watched Devilfish run over the table.

Started playing in High School, with a group of guys at Crystal’s Pizza! :pizza: our main game was Guts!