Specific Methods for Success in Poker

Howdy my friend @DaProwler , ty & it is a method for success for those to choose so. I did your method for quite awhile, then realized that’s where the patience & discipline comes in to beat the odds & any possible algorithm’s. As always, GL at the table’s and always have fun !!!

a pleasure…magic is all there is…good luck

1 Like

@minksnopes Very true magic and at time’s miracle’s are always there with faith. But I also believe, Patience & Discipline must be included with Faith. GL at the tables my friend

For what it’s worth this is my ready reckoner for examining the merits of a situation.
It may help beginners. How to proceed depends on the ways to win vs ways to lose.

Ways to Win (score)
A or K +2
QJ, Q10 +1
Suited +1
Adjacent +1
Pairs > 6 +1
Both cards > 6 +1
Over-card +0.5

Ways to Lose (score)
Over-card -1
Pair in flop -1
3-suited in flop -1
3 for Straight -1
High-end straight -0.5

1 Like

@JustlyFishy interesting and should be of help to new players. I also consider, based on the cards way’s to win & how many possibilities there are to loose the hand. Thanks’ for your input to the discussion & GL at the tables, my friend!

Thanks for your technic

Hi @Arternesq Welcome to Replay & the Forums where a lot of great discussions and ideas happening daily. GL at the tables my friend!

Be kind to other player and help new player.

2 Likes

Hi, well said @Player7777777 , and welcome to the forums. I hope these ideas will help our new players and all of us!! As always my friend, GL at the tables

I think of poker being played at a few levels. These are just general guidelines and are not all encompassing.

1. Beginners: These folks know the hands and not much else. These players will often play in strange ways.

2. Intermediate: These folks have studied some preflop and postflop strategy. They generally know what hands are good to play and bad to play preflop. They usually do not have a good grasp of bet sizing and have a hard time folding certain hands or can be bullied.

3. Advanced: These players understand the fundamentals of poker strategy very well. They know how to play exploitative play against weaker players. They also understand pot odds, implied odds, and can put their opponents on ranges reasonably accurate. These players can also bluff well.

4. GTO: These are the players who practice with solvers and aim to play hands with GTO strategy.

My strategy is to try and figure out what level my opponents are playing at, then play one level above them.

1 Like

Yes, you have to understand the basics of the game to get into the intermediate class. For example it is surprising how many players on RP will call a large bet on the turn when they are hoping to make a low flush on the river when the board is already paired, meaning that if they make the flush on the river they may still be beaten by a full house or a higher flush.

Beginners will also grossly overvalue top pair on the flop, and not even considered the possibility of a pocket overpair, or another player with top pair but a better kicker.

Beginners also have a hard time understanding the difference between a value bet and a bluff. A value bet is one that you want your opponent to call, because you believe you have the best hand, and a bluff is one where you want your opponent to fold, because you believe he has a better hand. However many players make bets that are too large when they do actually hold the best hand, and fail to get fully paid off.

Yes, understanding pot odds is crucial. Being good at poker does require that you are extremely quick at mental arithmetic, especially on RP where you only have about 3 seconds to make a decision, which I think is a factor that may limit the poker ability of many players.

One of the biggest differences that you will see between the low tables and the higher tables (BB 40K and above) is that players are much less likely to call large bets on the turn with flush and straight draws if these drawes are not enhanced. (For example flush draw, plus a pair , plus a gutshot, or maybe a flush draw with 2 overcards to the flop.)

Higher grade players will also pay much, much more attention to bet sizing. For example limping into a three-way pot with small suited connectors from position might make calling a half pot bet on the flop feasible, but in a raised pot with four players, it might just be too expensive to play post flop with low cards, so a pre-flop fold would be more likely.

Higher grade players are usually much more observant about playing styles of opponents. For example if you know that an opponent will always call a pre-flop raise from the BB with any weak ace, that is useful information that can be used to win more chips or lose less chips when the flop comes with or without an ace.

I don’t know how much use play based on solvers is on RP, because GTO is quite effective heads-up, but has less value when there are three or more people in the pot which is more often than not the case on RP.

I must admit I am hopeless on ranges, except that I know that there are some players who will call a pre-flop raise with almost anything from position, or will limp-call pre-flop from early position with any two suited cards.

Most players on RP will limp-call any small pocket pair from any position regardless of the amount of the pre-flop raise, so when a player makes a very large bet unexpectedly on any street, you can never entirely rule out a set.

4 Likes

We all had to start somewhere and that somewhere was a beginner. I would hope that most learned by trial, error and study to move upwards. Hope is the optimistic word.

1 Like

Great idea’s for all, ty & gl at the tables

It does help me to assist all new player’s, by remembering when I joined the site. I had only the daily chips to extend my playing time .

Been there, done that. No stranger to bankroll builders :slightly_smiling_face:
Nowdays, I kinda like it when the table thinks they know me.

1 Like

Welcome back to the forums my friend yes that’s a great feeling that the table knows you. What is your method for success?