Playing with small cards

If players tend to fold hands with small cards, then there would seem to be advantages to retain them when suited, paired or connected. OK it is easy to get beaten, but a big bet on the flop can reduce the competition. Also two pairs of small cards and 3 of a kind can beat the bigger cards. Also there are flush and straight opportunities. So it is worth retaining tem and deciding at flop time. Cheers

1 Like

If they match I usually play small cards…

1 Like

if your out of position it may cost you more than you wanted. I try to get to the flop on pairs, mid level connectors and suited connectors if I am in position. If I am on the button not so much. remember the odds of hitting those hands is low so the value has to be there. try it some and see how it works. here your playing with monopoly money so you can test out what you feel might work and adjust it to your style.

2 Likes

I’m agree with Skiptrace. The problem is not to fold everytime small cards, but use them in a good position, keep in mind all the elements:Position, your stack, raise before u, and so how many enemies u have to deal with.
If u r the chipleader, u can try a semibluff with small pair out of position. This is my opinion.

Thanks for that feedback. I like the little fishes because most are thrown back as discards which means there is less competition for teh syuited cards. Also very useful for straigths and flushes. There is also the surprise factor. You can bluff against a suited card with a small pair as a back-up and win against those who have bluffed or high bet to shut them done. Most people will think you are betting for the suited card. But you can get caught out with a low kicker and have nothing left at the final show of cards. Thanks again for the feedback

1 Like

You welcome :slight_smile:
Small pairs are also good to smash monster hands like AA or KK! :stuck_out_tongue: Always keeping in mind the factors that I said before. For example:
Blinds:
BB 300 / SB 150
No ante (more simple, lol )
Your stack: 5000
Your position: UTG+2

UTG+1 has a stack of 12000 and 3bet (900 chips).
Your cards are (22, or 33, or 44, or 55)
Most of the time, if I’m not bored and I’m trying to play focused, I fold. Cause My stack is not high, and there are too many opponents that have to talk after me. I prefer fold cause if someone reraise, or just call a 3bet, I could be easily in big trouble. And then. what scares me also, is that if I go all in against UTG+1, I could be kicked out of the tourny, while if he loses, he remains.

What u think about this example @JustlyFishy? :slight_smile:
Have a nice day :wink:

As I see it, playing low suited connectors or low pairs has to be a decision based mostly on the price to play. If the game is among players who are unlikely to raise, the price may be right to see the flop; if someone raises behind you, you must re-evaluate based on both your additional cost and what that raiser is likely to hold. If raises are likely, the call is NOT in. And, either way, if the flop doesn’t fit your holding, folding is in order.

1 Like

In that position I would fold! Too risky. But I love to see the flop! The triples are devastating and hard to see coming!!!

1 Like

kinda depends on the table image,
if there are aggressive players on the table that like to 3bet, i would usually fold. but on a passive table (which is usually the case on replay) where people love to call, i would defenitely call as well. even from that position, because i’m getting huge implied odds.

1 Like

I agree @yiazmat, this is factor is important as the others :slight_smile:

1 Like