Feeling "Flow" in Poker Games

In positive psychology, a flow state , also known colloquially as being in the zone , is the mental state in which a person performing some activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of the activity. In essence, flow is characterized by the complete absorption in what one does, and a resulting transformation in one’s sense of time. (Wikipedia)

I play my best poker games when I am in a flow state, and I can get there when the other players at the table seem focused and intent on playing their own best games too. That’s why I like to play with people I know I can trust to bring their best game.

How about you? Can you find a good flow state in a poker game?

4 Likes

I largely concur, but find it seldom happens to me. When it does, though, it’s like being Superman for a while, or at least SPG.

2 Likes

ditto… I think this is one reason people tend to play better when they are winning: it makes it much easier to fall into this state, and just focus on playing the best poker you know how to play.

2 Likes

Yes–a tip o’ the hat to SPG who has Superman genes (or aspirations) to spare! lol <3

1 Like

I would like to state that I’m always in the “zone”, that’s where the most enjoyment is for me.

1 Like

I don’t think of it as in the zone. I never have a feeling of “flow” from playing poker. Every hand I play is a struggle. But sometimes I run really good, my decisions work out, I win marginal hands, call all the bluffs, fill my draws, and flop well, and my bluffs get through. But none of it is really under my control. The deck is random, and the opponents make their decisions.

2 Likes