Crazy flop that let me down

Today I got a really good flop for my hand, but I still managed to lose. I feel like the game just set me up to lose. Like there is no reason to not call that raise with this hand. I feel like I played really well, but still lost… That really triggers me. These kind of losses really take away my interest to the game. I was really patient the whole game and when I saw my time to strike I went all in. Here is the hand that took 50% of my chips.

Edit: I had :heart:5 and :heart:6

That’s just a cooler. Hands like that are part of Poker - I don’t think you could fold that hand on the flop.

1 Like

Honestly, there are a number of things that you could have done differently, though to some extent it is just luck. First of all, 65s does not have enough raw equity to limp into a pot with a whole bunch of other players. Yes, you will flop a flush or straight sometimes but they may not be the nuts (as in this case). So raise it up preflop or just fold 65s.

On this flop, your hand was good, but against that many opponents it wasn’t that good. It does not surprise me at all that someone holds JT. That is poker. People play nonsensical ways that make it hard for you to fold your hand, but once he re-raises on the flop, I would strongly suspect that I was beat, not raise again. He could have trips or a flush draw, but it looks a lot like the nuts, so just fold your second best hand. That’s why you never want to see a flop against that many players. A really strong hand become a lot less strong.

1 Like

She didn’t limp - she was in the big blind, checked, and flopped a straight.

Edit: The odds of a player flopping a straight is 76-1…the odds of two people flopping a straight in the same hand is slimmer. I might have got it all-in on the flop as well thinking the guy on the button had flopped a set or something like a pair and a flush draw (especially if the guy on the button is a LAG post-flop). Another way to play is just call the raise rather than re-raising and fold when the board paired up on the turn (if a heart popped up on the turn your baby flush is probably beat in that scenario as well).

1 Like

Ah, I see that they were the big blind. I would have probably played the hand the same way you said, call the tiny re-raise and then fold once the board pairs.

As far as the actual probabilities go, the odds of flopping a straight is 1.333%, so when you see a flop with 7 players there is a 9% chance that at least one player flops a straight [(1-.01333)^7]. Correct me if my math is wrong. Then you have 1000-2000 players at a time on Replay, and there will be many many hands where two players flop a straight.

Considering cumulative probability is important because improbable outcomes will happen a lot if you play 100,000 hands. Anecdotally, this is important because it is a major mistake to look at your absolute hand straight (low end of a straight here and flush draw) and think that it’s unlikely you are behind. And this is especially true for multi-way pots; it’s like the birthday problem (Birthday problem - Wikipedia). You will start to see lots of weird things that make it hard to know where you are at in a hand. That is why I always emphasize the importance of raising to thin the field.

For example, there was a spot where I raised TT and had one caller. I ended up calling a re-raise all-in for 100 big blinds on the flop on a 458 board and it turned out I was ahead against a pair + gutshot. But on the same board against 3 callers I might bet but fold to any raise, and against 6 callers I might just check-fold because even an overpair is extremely weak with that many players in the pot.

2 Likes

So are you saying that you would have folded a flop straight that had straight flush draw, because of the re-raise? If you are always expecting the nuts you are not gonna win anything. If you can’t go all in with straight then what can you go all in with? I have seen multiple people going all in with three of a kind, two pair and even with a top pair from the flop. Straight wins all of them.

edit: The reason why I decided to go all in was the following:
It was obvious that he had a really good hand. That means he had either straight, 2 pair, three of a kind or flush draw. My straight wins 2 of them. That only leaves straight and flush draw to worry about. If he has a straight we either split, he wins with a bigger straight or I get a flush and beat his bigger straight. Then there is a flush draw. I highly doubt that someone would call all in with a flush draw. Even if they did they might not get it and I might even have a bigger one. I also could get a straight flush when they get a flush.
I left four of a kind out of consideration, because they couldn’t have had a four of a kind in the flop.

That means there were only 2 futures where he will win.
1- Bigger straight and I don’t get a flush
2- he gets a flush that is bigger than mine

1 Like

No, I think your first bet on the flop was good. I would call the raise to 14,000 but I would be concerned that I was losing to JT. I would expect that my flush draw might be good if it hits, or I could be ahead to the nut flush draw. With the paired board on the turn, I would be wary that I was beaten by a full house.

I don’t expect to need the nuts to win because I almost always raise preflop. That means I play fewer multi-way pots.

In a flop against 6 opponents, I do want to have the nuts before playing a big pot because there is a good chance somebody flopped the nuts. It is fine to bet your big hand/draw, but be wary. When you re-raise, what hands will give action? JT/65 or possibly the nut flush draw or combo draws that have good equity.

It is possible that they could be raising with two pair or a set, but given the number of opponents and the size of your bet, it makes more sense that they have a straight. It looks like they are trying to get value rather than folds. My overall point is not to play afraid, but that 2nd best hands need to be played carefully in multi-way pots (and it’s best to avoid multi-way pots when possible).

Min-raising in general looks very strong because while they could be trying to protect a draw, they could see the draw for cheaper by just calling. Usually a min-raise means they don’t want you to fold because they are extremely strong.

1 Like

It is usually true that only those hands give action, but the person I was playing agains was extremely loose. Here are two of his plays few rounds ago before I lost. He was ready to go all in with Ace♥ and 4♦. Also he were ready to go hard with 2pair when straight was possibility.

I definitely would have gotten it all-in on the flop now that I know how loose the guy is. Joe’s a nit - that’s why I ran over him in the SNG we just played = )

Just kidding!

2 Likes

Watch Joe get bluffed off a flush here - Joe had K 10 with the 10 of diamonds! There were only a couple of people in the hand with him and he still folded = )

Note: I folded pre-flop

2 Likes

If your opponent would make that play with worse hands, then you’re play was good. It is just a cooler. Even if he just has a draw to the higher straight, flush, two-pair, or set you will still lose something like 20-30% of the time, so it’s not a particularly unusual outcome.

1 Like

Lol, I hope you’re joking because if that’s a bluff then I’m way out of my depth.

Edit: lol they showed the bluff.

It made no sense to me as a bluff because I thought their little blocker bets meant they had a big diamond. I would have played this hand exactly the same way with Ax of diamonds or AK/KQ with a big diamond, so I have better hands to call with.

He turned Q Q into a really weird bluff (shoving the river to rep the nut flush) - after you said “i have the 3rd nuts but definitely behind” in the chat he flipped over his pocket queens lol

1 Like

Yeah I have so many combos with the ace of diamonds that take this exact line that his bluff makes no sense, not to mention all of the queen of diamond combos. Definitely out of my depth in this game. The low stakes put me in my place.

1 Like

Now you know what I have to deal with :joy:

I think they were betting small just because they were afraid of the King then they turned it into a bluff at the end lol. They probably weren’t gonna fold pocket queens no matter what.

Yeah, that is mega-confusing.It was just about my only hand of the session and they expected me to fold for an extra 900 into a 2700 chip pot. That is gutsy.That is why I ran from the low stakes and never looked back. Though to be fair, it would not be surprising to see the same play in a 250k SnG.

One of the many funny things about poker is that this loss hurt so much more than punting off a million chips on a c-bet lol :joy_cat:.

1 Like

Could you imagine if Phil Hellmuth had your hand :joy:

He probably would have said the same things that got you banned from the chat!

1 Like