Brain Candy

SunPowerGuru: There are 5,451,776,000 cubic yards in a cubic mile. If a cubic yard of air weighs 2.0655 pounds, then a cubic mile of it would weigh 5.6 million tons, not 4.9 million. As I said, simply multiplying 2 numbers isn’t rocket science.

===========================

A cubic yard of air at sea level is very different in mass from the many hundreds of cubic yards above it. You forgot that you made reference to the gradient of air pressure correlating with altitude.
The answer is 4.9 million tons. You’re wrong. Admit it. Be a man.

I’m an engineer, and in my world, when 2 different people tell you your math is wrong, you check your math. We never respond with things like, "Yeah, well your grandiose name marks you as an environmental extremist, you leftist!

I mean, really dude?

I didn’t join the thread to show that I’m brilliant. I get called brilliant and moron at about the same frequency. I have literally been accused of being Jesus and Lucifer on the same day. I’m waaaaay past caring about what people think about me.

Your first mistake was that you left out a term when calculating the number of square feet in a square mile. It’s 5,280 x 5,280, not just 5,280.

You then multiplied this by 12 squared to get the number of square inches. OK, that works.

I have no idea why you are subtracting the pressure at the top, and suspect this is where you are going wrong.

The air pressure at the bottom of a column of air IS the weight of that air. That’s what gives it the pressure! If a square inch of space is under 14.7 pounds of pressure, that column of air weighs 14.7 pounds.

And none of this has much to do with what a cubic mile of air at STP would actually weigh.

And yes, I might well be wrong.

Right or wrong, I’m done.

2 Likes

So, sea level is maybe New Orleans and mile high absolutely Denver. Now I understand.

3 Likes

I know, I was done, but now I’m not.

You are subtracting the pressure at the top because this is the weight of the air above that point, and you don’t want to weigh that too.

So your main mistake was not adding that one term. Had you omitted it from your calculations, you would have been off by way more, so obviously a typo of sorts.

We should be able to talk about stuff without resorting to all this tin foil name calling crap.

2 Likes

No the air pressure is NOT “the weight of the air.” There is a considerable amount of air ABOVE 5,280 feet which is NOT in the 1 x 1 x 1 mile. Think about that instead of trying desperately to prove you are correct when you clearly are not. I may have said “5,280 x 12 squared” and you misunderstood what was abundantly clear, viz., 5,280 feet x 12 inches x 5,280 x 12 inches. A mile by a mile converted to inches. Other people understood. You strain at a gnat and swallow a camel. Sun Power people do that.

Yes, it was abundantly clear that the term you left out should be added. I’m such an idiot!

After all, other people understood. This point was made abundantly clear… somehow.

And now I am fresh out of air chat. A pity, really, and just when I though we were getting somewhere.

1 Like

Don’t get me started on air pollution contributing to the weight of air…

Yes indeed, Craig_Anthony, carbon particles, dust, oh my, they surely add several hundred pounds to 5 MILLION TONS ! ! ! ! !

I had expected SOMEONE to say, “Hey, that’s interesting. I never thought of that.”
When I asked a 737 commercial jet captain this very question as we were about to board the aircraft he would fly from Seattle to Los Angeles, he guessed several million pounds. After I gave him the answer, he instructed the staff, “Put this man and his wife on ahead of first class passengers. Sir, when you board, come see me and I will give you a tour of the cockpit.” He did just that and put me in his captain’s seat, his hat on my head, and took my photograph there at the controls. I will forward my photograph to anyone private messaging me a request to do so.

What a special 15th birthday surprise for you and your bride. Gives me chills. You even wore his hat, special day :+1:t2:

Craig_Anthony, I happen to be a licensed pilot, a certified scuba diver, an expert snow skier who has gone down double black diamond runs, a very proficient water skier, a world traveler and blue water ocean fisherman who has caught 250 pound ahi and 350 pound black sea bass.

I made millions in real estate and have a patent pending on a tennis racket design with the first change in stringing rackets since the game was invented in 1874.

So please, tell the audience of your achievements, far outpacing this “15 year old.”

I note your last poker hand at Replay Poker was four years ago, at the 10/20 chip table. “Gives me chills.”

I’m a highly decorated United States Marine, international businessman and a politician in the United States. I haven’t played ring games in 5 years. It says that if you look. I really don’t care for your narcissistic personality.

What branch of the service did you serve in ?

1 Like

“Gives me chills.” I don’t care for your condescending, smart-ass replies.
You and Guru started with your rude replies. I responded to them in a way you should have anticipated Mister Highly Decorated.

You might have apologized for your rudeness and recognized that I am not a fifteen year old, as you chose to insult me. But no, that would have taken some class and thoughtfulness.

As to my considerable accomplishments, starting life as the son of a poor welder, “It ain’t braggin’ if you really done it.” - Hall of Famer Dizzy Dean

Well those answers or non answers speaks volumes about you.

With all of your accomplishments you should thank a Veteran that took your place.

I’m done with you ….

2 Likes

Craig Anthony …Thank you for your service.Much Respect!!!

2 Likes

Indeed, you started attacking from the git go, and are unrelenting in it, wrong all the way. I did a tour of duty in Vietnam with the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment.
Our commanding officer was Colonel George S. Patton, Jr.

You embarrass yourself with every remark you utter.

It was my honor to serve my country :+1:t2:

OOHRAH!!!

Semper Fidelis

2 Likes

The commanding officer for the 11th Armored Calvary Regiment in Vietnam was George S. Patton IV not JR. JR. died in 1945 and his last command was during World War 2.

Nice try……

You harass endlessly. You’re rude and overbearing.
Colonel George S. Patton was called “Junior” by everyone in my unit.
You split hairs and then mock and ridicule based on your pettiness.
You should be ashamed of your endless rudeness and mistakes.
You should apologize for them, but that would take a gentleman to do that…

He was indeed “Junior.”

https://www.ktroop.com/patton_obit.%20_nytimes.htm

As a colonel, he commanded the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment in Vietnam. As a major general in 1975, he took command of the Second Armored Division at Fort Hood, Texas. His father had led the division in North Africa. - www.ktroop.com

Please keep this thread on topic, it is becoming derailed.
Thank you.

Grapvine, Craig_Anthony has done nothing but harass me with every single post. He is always wrong but persists like some kind of dictatorial authority. If you would permanently ban him from any thread I create, it will go a long way toward stability you request.