Brain Candy

Well, here’s a fun fact…

If you had a balloon containing a cubic mile of air, it would be a very big balloon.

If you could squish it down to a uniform 1 foot in thickness, it would be big enough to cover the state of Connecticut or to cover Jamaica and Luxembourg combined.

2 Likes

And?

I fold :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I didn’t want to get sucked into this in the first place. Blame Zona!

2 Likes

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

Right you are :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Let me help you Minnow Shark.

1. The topic is “OFF TOPIC.” Get it?
    NOT related to poker. If you would read, it would help you enormously.
  2. The mind improves with use and exposure to new ideas. Try it.

[quote=“SunPowerGuru, post:17, topic:31056”]
If we had literally a 1 x 1 x 1 mile cube of air, only the air at the bottom would be at sea level, the air at the top would be a mile higher. [/quote]

OBVIOUSLY a cubic mile of air cannot all be at sea level when I DEFINED it as 1 x 1 x 1. Why do you state the obvious as if it were something profound? You do it again with pressure.

One cubic foot of air is NOT, repeat NOT one cubic mile of air at sea level. I showed precise calculations over three different conditions. If you found any error in my calculations, you should have and would have cited them. But you did not because you could not. So you made up fanciful objections with no basis in reality.
“SunPower” no doubt refers to your obeisance to environmental extremism. That wastes trillions of dollars around the world, for nothing.

Craig_Anthony, I asked for the WEIGHT of a cubic mile of air, NOT the pressure exerted by the atmosphere up to a height of 621 miles on one square mile. Please pay attention. You got it entirely wrong, as did “Guru”.

SunPowerGuru and dos-rios, put your heads together and show everyone any error you find. Don’t simply throw out “you’re wrong” with ZERO to back it up. That’s what Leftists do constantly. Look what it has gotten us.

You’re pretending to be sophisticated with nothing to back it up.
I specified STP, meaning “standard temperature and pressure.”
The answer to any thinking person is ~5 million tons plus or minus. You may think and pretend that “some difference” materially changes the answer of ~5 million tons. It does not, just as “Sun Power” is a grandiose hoax costing trillions of tax dollars.

“I didn’t want to get sucked into this in the first place” said SunPowerGuru. This is why he has responded to it again and again, adding nothing in the process, in my considered opinion.

Grapevine, it is a very simple question with a very profound answer. “How much does a cubic mile of air weigh?”
The most common answer I have gotten from asking it several hundred times is “Zero.” No, air is not weightless. If it were, birds and aircraft could not fly.

Please show everyone WHERE my math is wrong.
Don’t idly speculate with nothing to back it up.
This is not poker. You can’t bluff.

“Go from the presence of a foolish man.” -The Holy Bible

“Answer not a fool according to his folly lest thou be like unto him.” - Ibid

Why did you come to the Brain Candy thread then?

Here is more Brain Candy. Retail clerks in particular tend to wish customers a good day by saying, “Have a nice day” or “Have a good one.”

How, pray tell?
I will provide you with the best possible answer. It is from a book by psychologist Martin Seligman:

“We scientists have found that doing a kindness produces the single most reliable momentary increase in well-being of any exercise we have tested.” – Martin Seligman, PhD, in his book, Flourish

“12 squared” is the number of square inches in a square foot. Multiplying this number by 5,280 gives the number of square inches in a strip 1 foot wide and 1 mile long. So yes, I think your math is wrong.

There are 5,451,776,000 cubic yards in a cubic mile. If a cubic yard of air weighs 2.0655 pounds, then a cubic mile of it would weigh 5.6 million tons, not 4.9 million. As I said, simply multiplying 2 numbers isn’t rocket science.

“Air” can have many different compositions, and each has its own weight. Air at STP can also be at different moisture levels, and this would make a difference too.

Highly refined modern men such as myself don’t need to “act”… sophisticated or otherwise.

I’m glad I saw this thread though. I had no idea that I was a leftist, let alone “obeisance to environmental extremism,” and other creative but incorrect invectives. Your math was wrong, so I must be Antifa. It’s hard to refute that kind of logic.

1 Like

I thought it would enhance my knowledge, WRONG!!!

1 Like
  1. The title is “Brain Candy.” It entertains most everyone who reads it.
    You are the rare exception for some reason.
  2. Did you already know that a cubic mile of air weighs 5 million tons?
    I doubt it.

Why don’t you enhance everyone else’s knowledge since you’re so brilliant.
I can’t wait to read your profound insights.
Don’t disappoint us.

Yeah, whatever.

1 Like