Benefits of Baking Soda use

On our small produce farm we use a Lot of Baking Soda, as a part of an organic mixture that replaces pesticides on produce & fruits. We also use for health, hygiene, home cleaning and many more.

Many people are concerned about pesticide residue on foods. Pesticides are used to protect crops from insects, germs, rodents, and weeds, but many have harmful effects on human health.

Peeling fruit is the best way to remove pesticides. However, it also means you don’t get the important nutrients, such as fiber, vitamins, and minerals, found in the skins of many fruits.

Interestingly, recent research indicates that a baking soda wash is the most effective way to remove pesticides from fruits and veggies without peeling them.

One study found that soaking apples in a solution of baking soda and water for 12–15 minutes removed nearly all of the pesticide residue (16Trusted Source).

Keep in mind that this method doesn’t remove pesticides that have penetrated the fruit’s or veggie’s skin. Plus, more research is needed to see whether this works for other types of produce.

Source - 22 Benefits and Uses of Baking Soda

I know of almost 20 benefits & uses of baking soda. Please share some of your uses and experiences of this amazingly safe product in our daily lives.

5 Likes

Clean your coffee pot with baking soda

2 Likes

Great example of what baking soda can do for us & it’s cheap !! lol
Also Make’s me want to ditch the auto coffee maker and get another percolator, that used to make the best coffee :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Auto driveway cleaner (Didn’t sell) :slightly_smiling_face:

Baking Soda work well on Carpet stains tho.

3 Likes

Der Vorteil Kartoffeln mit dem Messer zu schälen. Kann man hier erfragen.

Translation
The advantage of peeling potatoes with a knife. You can inquire here.

1 Like

I’ve had it work to unclog my bathroom sink. Pour in some baking soda, then add vinegar and watch it go for a bit. Flush with hot water, still having problems give it a plunge with a high quality plunger and whoosh, your slow drain is back to normal.
I’ve a double sink in my kitchen, that technique unfortunately has not worked, going to have to remove the trap and get a snake.

1 Like

I was recently told that all baking soda is not the same and the good old Arm and Hammer is actually not the healthiest, that we should use a purer baking soda- who knew.
Washing produce with a little vinegar and salt is also supposed to be a good way to remove unwanted particles from produce.

2 Likes

Baking Soda:
From what I was presented by a friend: Arm & Hammer Baking Soda is synthetic meaning the ore is heated until it is soda ash then combined with carbon dioxide. Natural baking soda supposedly is Nahcolite which is safer for consumption, mined directly from the ground, and/or from evaporated lake beds. I am still trying to research more on this and the truth! I will try Bob’s Red Mill baking soda vs Arm & Hammer and see if there is a difference and try to get a lab test.

3 Likes

People seem to like to use baking soda to brush their teeth :smiley:

1 Like

I use it to tenderise beef for stir fry’s, half a teaspoon half hour before cooking, does the job :slight_smile:
Its also handy for baking funnily enough :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Baking Soda 101 - Solid video from beginning to end. Highly informative!

If anyone wants to try this Organic Baking soda mixture to replace a pesticide. Below ix the mixture. This can be used on all flowers, shrubs, fruits and vegetables.

• Baking soda spray

Bicarbonate of soda prevents bacteria spores from forming. Mix one tablespoon of baking soda with one tablespoon of vegetable oil and add one tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap.

Mix with one gallon or three-and-a-half litres of water and spray.

I use toothpaste which has baking soda in it. Good for smokers maybe abrasive. Also can put it in a wrap, sell it and run away, :rofl:

1 Like

Litenin - Due to the relative safety of sodium hydrogencarbonate and the positive benefits of this chemical to plant life due to the increased supply of carbonate and hydrogencarbonate ions for use in the processes that use sunlight to photolyse water and use the freed electrons to reduce NADP to NADPH, and to power enzymes that add a phosphate ion to ADP to make ATP; NADPH and ATP are used as the “energy currency” of the cells, and are further used by other enzymes to fix carbonate ions into sugars which are polymerised to form starch and cellulose, amongst other related chemicals with uses dependent on the arrangement of bonds between sugar residues as cross-links between chains of polymerised sugars with their own characteristics dictated by length, amount of cross-links, component sugars, position of bonds on repeating units which may be monosaccharides, disaccharides (e.g.sucrose - table sugar! Why we don’t use fructose is beyond me, but offhand it’s probably due to the behavior if exposed to humid air, fructose is probably too hydrophilic to leave exposed; it’ll absorb so much water it’ll become a syrup which isn’t conducive to practical use as a retail product…probably… All these molecules can reasonably anticipated to be very hydrophilic due to the large quantity of hydroxyl groups with high polarity which makes water molecules form an extensive ly hydrogen bonded dynamic surrounding layer of molecules, making sugars very soluble in water and prone to the behavior described above if water molecules are present as gas molecules in the air. Indeed, often it requires a very involved and difficult process to remove these molecules, and some are so tightly bound as to be held as water of crystallization that cannot be removed and heat will destroy the sugar before the water is driven out. See hydrated copper (II) sulphate (VII).H2O when heated…if you haven’t seen this you haven’t lived!
Uses, right! As a mild antiseptic, as a scouring abrasive for washing dishes, etc. As a source of carbon for plants since atmospheric CO2 is only present at a low concentration and is the rate-limiting factor in photosynthetic production of sugars by the leaves of green plants and certain \lg\e \nd protists and bacteria, some descending from the most ancient forms of life on Earth…very interesting especially in the light of the revolution in taxonomy caused by the recently developed ability to sequence DAN and RNA…also very interesting! Right, will this do…?

1 Like

i sometimes struggle to find the traditional Sorghum leaves when cooking Waakye so I have started to use baking soda as a replacement . Actually tastes as good if not better in my opinion .

1 Like

Thank you very much, I’m going to try that. I’m from the south and love some good, what we call red beans & rice. Add a little Cayan and Chili pepper and make it, Cajun style, red beans & rice!!