Flop: (2500) image
BB checks
UTG checks
Turn: (2,500) image
BB bets 1,000
UTG raises to 3K
BB raises to 5K
UTG (2,750) to act

Shove. No sense in folding, or leaving 750 behind.

Also, wouldnā€™t have minded shoving facing the turn min-bet, instead of raising to an awkward size. Throwing that kind of pressure on your competitors can make them think twice the next time they try stealing a pot with a min-bet, and help you recognize your equity in future pots.

1 Like

I did shove. Unfortunately, V flopped a flush, with the nut. (Ad7d). The river helped neither, and I was never ahead in the hand. How sweet would the Td have been on the river? 8-Q sf vs 7-J sf.

1 Like

The more i look at it, the more I realize that as soon as i flopped the straight, with a gs to the sf, my stack was gone.

When I first posted, I was feeling pretty dumb for choosing to ignore the 3 to a flush flop. But, how much credence do you give something that has a less than 1% chance of happening. Also, I had 3rd nut if another diamond fell. That was not the mistake.

I donā€™t necessarily think playing QTo, was a mistake here, either. Iā€™m 7th of 9 in chips, less than 7BB, and about to hit the blinds.

The mistake was in limping. Not sure if the opening bet should have been 2BB, 3BB, or a shove, but not a limp.

1 Like

Iā€™d probably shove it pre, especially if it was the best thing Iā€™ve had in an orbit or so.

• Given your stack size on its own and in relation to everyone elseā€™s, youā€™re probably not going to be able to float the blinds long enough to make the money.
  • You may get everyone to fold with a shove and pick up the blinds+antes to stay afloat longer.
  • You may even double up with a lucky board.
  • Youā€™re in UTG, which means you set the tone pre-flop. A shove in this position makes your message pretty clear to everyone else.

Pretty much wasting your time just trying to limp it; shove it or stay out of the hand. Donā€™t bother with any other ā€œopenā€ bet at <10BB ā€“ just shove. Yeah, itā€™s a lot of variance, but thatā€™s Replayā€™s turbo tournaments in general. Not a lot of room for post-flop poker, but you can finish a small tournament in about 2 hours or less.

2 Likes

Youā€™re definitely right @Fozman. The only argument for 2BB is I seem to get as many folds with a value bet, as i do with a third barrel. Mostly in later streets, tho, and depends a lot on table image.
In hindsight, shoving is the only chance I had. Does he call half his stack with A7s? Who knows.
I have a new respect for having a few chips to continue with. I recently pushed 208 chips on the 12th hand of an MTT, and ended up 5th. Iā€™ve seen examples of people coming back with even less.