A statistics question

On the statistics page, there are stats for (i) total number of hands played, (ii) total number of hands folded, and (iii) total number of flops seen. Is there a mathematical formula for calculating the % of hands folded before the flop based on these stats?

1 Like

hands played - flops seen = flops not seen…
Flops not seen / hands played * 100 = % folded before flop

What about hands won pre-flop by getting everyone else to fold? I think that’s the piece of the puzzle we’re missing.

On this site, that number may be statistically insignificant :wink:

1 Like

:laughing: So true… however, while it’s rare, it does happen… typically with pre-flop shoves and especially during certain parts of tournaments. I’d say depending on your frequency of performing those activities you can knock about 5% off the flops not seen number and call it good.

2 Likes

I think if you call the big blind or raise preflop, it counts as playing the hand, or should, even if you may fold before the flop to a raise behind you, or a 3-bet. “Flops seen” should be literally flops seen while still in the hand.

1 Like

Thank you. Apparently, I forgot to switch my brain to the “on position” this morning. I took a few stats courses in grad school, but those were social stats (e.g., regression analysis) and I was never a keen mathematics student.

My preflop fold % turns out to be a lot lower than I expected, especially since it is far lower than the overall fold rate posted on the stats page. I am not sure what to make of that.

1 Like

Playing a lot of heads-up? Playing too loose of a range? Too much limp bingo?

I suppose if you’re playing at stakes below what you can reasonably play with your bankroll, you’re probably fine. Maybe tighten up a bit if you’re playing at higher stakes and losing?

Best I can come up with using the limited data.
:man_shrugging:

Yes, during my first year on replay, I was playing too much “limp bingo” poker, which reflected my ignorance of the game. This is reflected in my low overall preflop fold %, and I expect that my preflop fold % over the past 5-6 months (when I started to learn basic poker concepts, particularly the value of position and corresponding ranges) would be a lot higher. The key problem with all that limping is that is it translated into a high fold % after the flop. The interesting part of figuring out my preflop fold % is that it allowed me to understand how much (and why) I was folding after the flop.

2 Likes