The Music of our Lives

Please share a song that always takes you back to a place and time in your life.

Please share the year the song takes you back to since I’m looking to see how far back this can take

us!

Thanks!

I’ll start it off in 1982 working at a drugstore.

They overplayed this song and couldn’t escape it while working there.

Chicago - Hard To Say I’m Sorry

2 Likes

Fine idea for a thread, I’m at work but will add some tunes when I get home :+1:

1 Like
3 Likes

12 years old breaking horses, working cattle, building fence (with the help of a bucket to stand on since I was too short to reach the top of the post) learning from the old hands, wouldn’t trade it for the world

4 Likes
3 Likes

I will stick with 1982. I was 13 it was my very first date, she was 50% white Scottish 50% Filipino and 100% hot hot hot.
We went to coasters roller disco and although neither of us could really skate we happily went round hand in hand. Everything was fine until this song came on. When it got to the fast bit everyone started going faster and faster, we were trying to keep up when centrifugal force came into play, she slipped out my hand and went shooting off into the barrier like a missile and tumbled over it hard. She broke her arm badly.
She was actually ok about it after, just an accident after all. Her mother however, gave me the fish eye every time we crossed paths. Helluva first date and I have flashbacks of a pair of upside down roller skates 6 feet in the air every time I hear the song :face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

I was 18 and just learning ballroom dancing as opposed to the disco and line dancing I was used to. My favourite was the Salsa, but finding the right music for my mood was not easy. A shy new member of the class brought this old vinyl record for us to try, and as soon as this song was played I realised I had found the right rhythm for the kind of Salsa I liked. Try dancing the Salsa to this - I still love it!

4 Likes

Just to lower the tone.
Glastonbury music festival 1990 aged 21, Saturday night, I had been awake for two days and taking every substance available :partying_face:, I was also wearing very cheap plastic sunglasses (£1) it was very dark.
Elvis Costello was the main attraction and had just came on at the main stage, I was making my way over when I fell head first into a refuse pit, my pals had to pull me out. I got a tent to myself for the rest of the trip for some reason :poop:

3 Likes

Tom Waits at the Edinburgh Playhouse with my dad 1981 aged 11. I was a bit young to appreciate the great man, and believe it or not the hall was half empty, went back to see him at the same venue in 1985, struggled to get tickets, the old dad had to use all his skills and connections to get us in :sunglasses:
This song always makes me think of the old man, it could even be about him :heart_eyes:

1 Like

It was the summer 1967…I was 17. My husband and I had let a cottage in Snowdonia for 3 months for his band to write new music. Lots of friends came and went. Many days and nights spent getting high. You name it, we did it. I do remember one night in particular that someone had some amazing “shrooms” It was that night that I heard the Youngbloods song for the first time. Every time I hear this song it brings me back to that magical time…

5 Likes

re Tom Waits - fantastic, easily top 10 song for me

PS this reply function is weird

1 Like

The Clash’s first album in 1977 changed my whole outlook on music

1 Like

1964 the Beatles played on the Ed Sullivan show.

TV was just beginning and the kids in the neighborhood got together and said whatever tv got the best reception on their tv we would meet at that house to watch.

I was 8 years old.

Antenna tv

I want to hold your hand the song ushered in rock and roll as we know it

Everyone should listen to what one of the Beatles sand late in life

Relates to today

IMAGINE the song

John Lennon

2 Likes

Johnnie Mathas; Wonderful Wonderful, Late 50’s. Great song for making out! Lots of times with no worries.

little darlin’ the diamonds

^ Thanks everyone for posting! !950’s is about as far back as we can go.

Louis Armstrong: “A Kiss to Build a Dream On”

h2opro