What is your pup's/dog's name & How did you arrive to that name?

What is your pup’s/dog’s name & How did you arrive to that name?

The wife & I have been very fortunate to have many pups over our lifetime. Each one seems to have their own personality and we name them accordingly.

One of example is one of my favorite pup’s, we’ve had was a Jack Russel/ Corgi. My wife wanted to give me a pup for Father’s Day, so we drove to her home to pick out a pup. There were 8 pups all playing together, when I walked up towards them, only one ran to me as the others were busy playing. I named her Foxy immediately for being a beautiful pup and out foxing the others for a new home.

We enjoyed our time and experiences with her for 18 years.

Please share your story, and if possible a picture of your Pup.

11 Likes

We picked up a mutt a few years ago from someone that was a liar and obviously abusive to the poor guy. I think the previous owner said he was like a year/less or something, but was certainly at least 3 and had a lot of issues since he was obviously abused.
Sorry no pic, wish I did since he’s one of the funniest looking dogs you might see.
He’s half corgi and half lab, so he’s black with the big head and big flappy ears, solidly built with these really short legs. He had some weird name that started with Z, but we changed it to Yoda because he’s silly looking with big flappy ears. Almost named him Tyrion from the Game of Thrones character, but Napolean would have been more appropriate since he thinks he’s the boss of the other larger dogs around here.
He’s def a herder since he’ll try to herd you nipping at your feet. You toss him a ball, probably won’t give it back, but toss it up a run circles with it playing ball all by himself.
You give him food and often he won’t eat it all day, but sit there and guard it.
Most of the time he’s attached to his leader, my wife, constantly getting in her way. She yells at him about it, but that will never end. If she leaves the property, he’ll wait outside til she gets back.
He’s torn up a couple carpets getting stuck in a room by himself, plus a window screen or two.
He has amazing determination. He’s also very smart, certainly knows english.
He is, BY FAR, the weirdest dog I’ve ever known!

5 Likes

I remember our first dog from when I was very young was a Jack Russel too. She was called Penny because she had a large black circle on her back / flank and no other markings except some brown and black on her head and ears.

My parents have always had a Jack Russel. They were constantly getting stuck in rabbit holes and disappearing into woods and undergrowth, but they all managed to get home in the end. (The dogs, not the parents)

7 Likes

Bella (Full name Belleau) was named originally named by her first owner a Marine in honor of the Battle of Belleau Wood from World War I. Bella was born on a military base in Kabul, Afghanistan, under a Baker building. Bella’s mother and her entire litter were bought home with the troops who cared for her in Afghanistan by PuppyRescueMission.com

7 Likes

My dog is a rescued greyhound and she had 2 names…racing name was LazerLois and her kennel name was Flygirl. when we adopted her we aske if the Flygirl moniker was because she was so fast and they laughed and said no it’s because she passes gas (you know lets them fly) lol.
We decided to call her lulu :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I always had very large dogs, my last two were named Chance and Harley, I gave Chance his name because I saved his life and gave him a second Chance and I gave Harley his name as my husband had a Harley, They both kept each other company for many years and were both amazing dogs, I loved them both very much, after they both passed I got a black lab and she is mixed with a German Shepherd, I name her Charlie,Which is Chance and Harley mixed together… She is now 5 and is a blessing :heart:

8 Likes

Thanks to everyone, for sharing your story’s and I hope more will do the same. Any dog or pup as I call them even at an old age, is indeed our best friend. Unconditional Love for us all :smile:

Thanks,
@TheKnutts , Great story of your pup. One of the great things about any pup is they all are different just like us, but always show us that unconditional love
@Chasetheriver We have had 2 Jack Russel’s and if anyone wants a pup with more energy than we will ever have, get a Jack. They will go & go more than any energizer bunny LOL
@southwestmba , Thanks’ so much for the story and picture, Beautiful dog. Also thanks for the link and everyone that helps our animals as well as people.
@lazerlo Thanks for the memories. We used to rescue Greyhound’s. We used to go to Ebro Dog Track several times a year and was introduced to one of the kennel owners to request a retired Greyhound.
She told us she had one that was racing tonight, was a former state champion and this would be his last race. Said come back when over and take him home. Swapped phone numbers, resulted in 4 Greyhounds that we kept and 15 we obtained & found great homes for.
@doll46 Great story of how we name our pups and great idea and name for your current pup, Charlie!

Hope to see many more great stories and blessings from others about how we named our pups!!

5 Likes

My dogs name is Frankenstein he is part chow and water dog. The reason I named him Frankenstein is because he is mean and ugly but…I love him even though he bites me and tears everything up!

5 Likes

There are times my youngest pup bites me also as we are playing. However, I only blame myself for playing rough with her & yep always love that pup :smile:

5 Likes

Litenin …My dog eats trees cars and buildings He told me he wants to go to Niagra Falls and eat it 2 !

3 Likes

I have only had one dog in my life, her name was Dobie, she was a purebred Doberman Pinscher, she would sit in the passenger seat of my 1964 spitfire Mk4 roadster and love every min of it, the name origin is obvious, she looked mean but was a cookie mooch and lover of all. I hope to get another dog soon when I retire, I have waited 45 years and this time it will be a massive dog, one that will be my friend in my twilight years, probably an Irish Wolf hound or Mastiff, a short lifespan dog, together we will roll out of this thing called life at the same time.

6 Likes

I had a buddy with a Blue Heeler, that dog chased me out the driveway every time, bit my rear fender, I would drag her all the way down his gravel driveway to the street before she would let go, so your story is believable Bodie, well sept for the Niagra part,

4 Likes

Our two dogs are named Quincy (after Quincy Jones) and Simon (after Paul Simon). Great pals. They are half brothers as my son’s dog fathered both of them but different mothers.

4 Likes

My dogs name is Brownie, she is a rescue dog and came with this name and i didn’t have the heart to change it but i would have liked too, lol. She was 3 yrs old when we got her but is now 5 yrs old, she is a German Shepherd ,she can be a handful as she has anxiety and meeting people isnt something she is very good at but we are working at it. I love her very much and wouldn’t give her back for the world.

5 Likes

Thanks, Great name and Beautiful Pup

3 Likes

Muffy
Spice we got as a pup, wild & crazy terrier mix. :heart_eyes:
Muffy the little black Shih-Tzu was 5 when rescued her from a lady that passed. Never heard a bark/yap from her for 3 months, missed her owner & had been w other homes. Now she’s my heart, never leaves my side & yaps like heck when Spice takes her toy or treat. :heart:

5 Likes

This is Tia, she was born into my hands and 13 years later passed in my hands. Tia is auntie in Espanol but it is also a form of Tiara bc she was my princess.

5 Likes

Thanks everyone, very interesting pup names and Great stories to remind us all of our best friend’s

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, very interesting pup names and Great stories to remind us all of our best friend’s.

Thanks’ for sharing:
@donkbusta444 , I bet Frankenstein is just enjoy the early years of pup life and having fun , lol
@_Rain , We also had a dobie years ago she was just like yours. Killer bark scared everyone who came, close to us or property. But would never hurt a flea.
@Onegladhouse , I see why you have a glad house, with 2 great pups that give unconditional love & great names to remember forever!
@Sassee-Lassee , Brownie is a very beautiful pup had a couple German Shepard’s myself and are very loyal to us.
@RavenL , Spice and Muffy are both beautiful pups. Which is now the Alfa pup lol ?
@JenGen7 , I lost a Scotty on the way to the vet’s in my arms as well, but we will always remember them & by name

Ty & everyone for your great stories/pictures of our past and present, pups by name!

I believe we will always love & remember our baby’s as we say at times, when they’re actually a dog or a pup to me :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Mike.
A pleasure to be part of life of this amazing skilled dog! For shure is also very happy with us.

5 Likes