The Totally Topic-less Anything Except Complaining Thread

Hahahahahaha :joy:

1 Like

Here you go SPG:

2 Likes

Thanks, but oh hell no. I’ll just… that is, my friend will have to just keep looking like a Wookie.

1 Like

who decided that 60 mins was an hor thaqt an hour is… etc

The ancient Sumerians.

Thx will look that 1 up

1 Like

60 is a good number for time because the fractions are so easy…

1/2 hour is 30 minutes

1/3 hour is 20 minutes

1/4 hour is 15 minutes

1/5 hour is 12 minutes

1/6 hour is 10 minutes

All of these fractions work out to whole numbers.

They certainly advanced the human race during their time. The whole counting system originated from them using the 12 sections on the fingers of the hand. Genius really considering you carry your hands around with you all the time, the first ancient calculator :grinning:

1 Like

So we just disregard the thumb, no most important part of the hand.

1 Like

Yes the hands are brilliant when i want to know how many days in a month i use the knuckles to tell me if the month falls on top of knuckle 31 days if it falls between then 30 apart from feb try it

1 Like

They used the thumb as the counting instrument though I wouldn’t know anything about that having paws :wink:

1 Like

Here’s an oddity thought to come from the 4th century Romans: the Lycurgus Cup.

The cup is a type of cup called a cage cup, because it features metalwork that surrounds the glass like a cage. The odd part, however, is that the cup itself is made is dichroic glass, and is red when lit from behind, but green when lit from the front.

This effect is thought to be because of the inclusion of gold and silver nano-particles, but nobody is quite sure how they managed to pull this off in the 4th century. And no, I’m not claiming that it was made by aliens. I’m just saying that it’s odd and interesting…

Lycurgus Cup

2 Likes

Fascinating :joy:

1 Like

Too scary.

2 Likes

Obviously, the teachers have failed us. How do these kids get out of school knowing nothing? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If only we could sit 'em down, lock 'em in, and make 'em pass a test before they’re allowed out! And do it again before they’re allowed to have children, or vote, or drink, or own a credit card, or… Right?!

2 Likes

I thought they did have to sit down and take tests and all that before they graduated.

I wouldn’t know because I never finished high school. Well, I eventually did, and went on to get 2 engineering degrees, but I distinctly remember taking tests before they handed me my diplomas.

The parent share the blame too. There’s plenty to go around, but just wow. It’s hard to believe that these people don’t know how many states are in our union, or what continent they are on. It’s so sad.

2 Likes

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

• Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
  • Why the early bird gets the worm;
  • Life isn’t always fair;
  • And maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don’t spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn’t defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death,
-by his parents, Truth and Trust,
-by his wife, Discretion,
-by his daughter, Responsibility,
-and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 5 stepbrothers;

• I Know My Rights
  • I Want It Now
  • Someone Else Is To Blame
  • I’m A Victim
  • Pay me for Doing Nothing

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

4 Likes

I do think there’s a Regents Exam in New York, but what happens if you don’t pass? You don’t get a diploma. We don’t know if the students interviewed in this video have diplomas. That’s where the heartache would be—if yes and still this ignorant. In California, students take tests that are used to study and report the schools’ and districts’ achievement levels. It’s not high stakes for the students, so what do they care?! They can leave high school without a diploma–everyone can–it’s not a lock-up–consequences presumably are in the job market. Anyway, the U.S. is not alone in this dilemma. And yes, family plays a role. :frowning:

2 Likes

I also wonder how many people were able to answer the questions, but these aren’t shown, for obvious reasons. Maybe the people on the video are actors too.

I hope that’s the case anyway. Otherwise, we are doomed… doomed I tell ya!

2 Likes