Temptation

Temptation2

Ever been tempted to play weak hole cards just because they’re the best you’ve had in a looooong time? Or some other temptation? Advice about yielding (or not) to temptation?

3 Likes

What, exactly, is tempting about playing cards that will lose you chips in the long run?

If we are constructing reasonable ranges, anything outside of those ranges is unreasonable.

Decisions on what hands to play shouldn’t be affected by how long it’s been since the last hand worth playing. With rising blinds, however, the cards you play does change over time.

3 Likes

Yes, I have been tempted to play weak whole cards just like you said.
and don’t know if you mean this kind of temptation but, ( I have to push buttons, I’m talking straight up button pusher) that has nothing to do with cards…lol
When playing cards, just have to be patient or not, what I mean is I have been on a losing streak for a while now so, temptation is going my way to just call those weak whole cards, because every time I fold them, they would have won.
Someone once said any 2 cards will do, I thought that was just wrong but, on a losing streak, I think may be right.

5 Likes

I never yield to temptation. In my world things are black and white with no gray area. If I make a decision that’s it. Win or lose I’ll suffer the consequences good or bad. At least I made the call…

5 Likes

I find my patience wearing thin when the cards run weak for a long spell. When I’m feeling very engaged with a game, I play pretty tight: I remind myself that the hole cards look pretty but mean nothing (if that’s true), and I fold, fold, fold. If I’m distracted or feeling bored or getting lazy, I feel tempted to give in to hope, and I play a hand I should probably have folded. That’s what I mean by temptation: There’s a little voice in my head telling me, “You’ve got this!” and that little voice has proven to be a little liar in days gone by.

4 Likes

Resist temptation!

2 Likes

Yes. Boredom sets in after long enough. But there’s also value in leveraging the tight image you’ve unintentionally constructed. Your opponents don’t know you’ve been card dead, they just see you folding a lot which might lead them to conclude you’re being overly selective. In tournaments you can use this by raising to steal the blinds with more marginal hands, and expect more folds and less re-raises.

4 Likes