River's end

It probably does happen more on this site than in a money game. Why? Simply because the person is not risking real money when they choose to draw to a straight or flush, so people will take that risk far more often than if they were playing for money. It certainly happens to me far, far more often than I would think is possible, but that is simply because I don’t take those bad odds chances very often and others do. It is easy to forget all the times you have folded and they would have missed their draw, or you beat them and moved on without knowing what their hand was.

So relax enjoy the games and know that bad beats are going to happen and can wipe you out anytime you go all in. People can and will call you with bad hands and only a draw far more often on this site simply because it costs them no real money and they can join another game in a few minutes.

2 Likes

Talking about frustrating rivers, I would have felt better being beat by a flush here.

A hand that can lose you a lot of chips if you have the ace and the board produces 2345. You can almost guarantee that somebody has a pocket pair of 6’s.

1 Like

I’ve seen it happen dozens of times. Disastrous

1 Like

Hi everybody, WellingtonSam here. Found this post immediately after suffering this bad beat.–

Now why anyone would call with a set after another player jams all in, with a flush draw on the board, well that’s Replay.

twice in the same day, within a couple hours of each other.

Appropriate title ^ :expressionless: So the curse of bullets the dreaded pocket Aces, But wait a glimmer of hope it’s Aces vs Aces a sure split - Darn river :rofl: vnh & ouch.

2 Likes

That’s just a bad beat for sure. I had something similar happen to me a couple weeks ago. I had aces full of Jacks in regular poker(not Royal), and my opponent pulled a Royal Flush. What are the odds of that? LOL

2 Likes

That hurts in the worst possible way

2 Likes

I don’t think the algorithm is rigged. People that choose to bet for the thrill (kinda like playing the one-armed bandit) make higher, sometimes unfathomable bets, this is true. But they also bet more often, and relentlessly, making their chances of winning on the river more likely. That’s the rip with video poker, as chips are inexpensive. It’s gonna happen, whether you’re playing a $500 table, or a $250,000.

Like the rest of life, it’s how you deal with it that counts. Don’t let it make you aggro.

1 Like

I agree. Thanks for taking the time to type that. Great points !

But knowing that most parts go down to the river on RP, don’t you need a solid and logical strategy that takes that into account?

I know that most poker books base assumptions on the idea that the person who has the best hand at the flop should take the pot, and that draws are not worth chasing because the odds are against you.

However what happens on Replay Poker ring games is that you can put in an opening raise of 5 big blinds and get 4 flat callers. These players probably have combinations of pocket pairs, suited connectors, unsuited connectors, and 2 Broadway cards, so basically they have all bases covered against you!

If you put in a pot-sized bet at the flop because you have an overpair, you probably get two callers, and then who knows what horrors lurk on the turn when one of the flop cards pairs and then in the depths of the river there be crocodiles as you have three seconds to determine what straights, flushes, quads, and boats have possibly filled and how these hypothetical hands match up with the betting history of your opponents.

However strategies might include not trying to take down a pot with a large bet on the flop unless you have two pairs or better, or a very strong draw that you can use as a semi-bluff, for example flash draw with one pair and one overcard.

Another interesting factor is that with so many callers to early raises the size of the pot at the flop is so large that full pot or half pot bets are often too risky with marginal pairs or draws, so players often resort to using the minimum bet button. This prices in gut shot draws, so you may see huge pots being won with hands like 4 7 cracking aces.

I play a hand yesterday when I had 3 7 in the BB in a limped pot which ended with me stacking two other players on the river! One of them had a wheel straight, and the other had a straight from 2 to 6.

So, in summary, the reason that so many pots go to the river is that so many players call raises to go to the flop, meaning that several players get a piece of it.

Royal cracks quads at the WSOP.

Ray Romano is at the table, but not in the hand.

4 Likes

Another reason it happens more than in real life is the sheer number of hands we play.

In real poker we play about 2-3 minutes per hand or more. Here, we might have 1-2 hands per minute. And we might play here daily, versus weekly or less at a cash game. So something that happens daily here might happen monthly in real life simply because we don’t see as many cards.

2 Likes

Really you guys need to come up with a different excuse as to why this site is set up[ to force players to buy chips (if you want to keep your status and click of friends)What does the sheer number of hands dealt have to do with getting Rivered every time you play ? I am not getting an astronomical amount of hands dealt to me every day, nobody is, the certificate of “Pure Randomness” you always fall back on as to why every other pot is won by a FLUSH, repeatedly set up by the randomness of dealing 4 suited to the board. I get the number of hands dealt to me that show me "You are not going to win? Because I’ve been rivered 4 times in the last 8 hands and replay is offering a 50-100% more chip package.

I need to come up with a better excuse on why YOU keep getting rivered???

Rivers happen. It’s poker. I don’t get rivered an incredible amount of times. It happens. I take my lumps and move on. In almost 20 years of playing online poker, I’ve never purchased chips on a poker site. I’ve never had to.

Most rivers happen because people overplay their hands. I adjust my game to accommodate them. I actually like being rivered by some players because it encourages their poor play. They keep drawing to their gutshot straights and their weak flushes and I beat them with better flushes and made hands, while limiting my bet amounts knowing I will likely take them down in the long run with multiple hands and making fewer bluffs and draws knowing they’ll chase rather than fold.

2 Likes

The last hand you played you went all in preflop with AQo and got beat by AA. Card on the river had nothing to do with you losing the hand. You were behind the entire hand. Replay had nothing to do with you losing. Poor play lost your stack.

1 Like

The style of play in Replay Poker is somewhat different from expert play as described in top books or seen on TV.

An expert play it is relatively unusual to see more than three players to the flop, yet on Replay Poker three, four or five or more players to the flop is common.

In replay poker it is normal for several players to call pot-sized bets on the flop regardless of pot odds if they have any kind of draw, even a gut shot, and even if they are priced out of the drawer.

The end effect is that nearly all pots go to the river, because most players attach more importance to winning a small pot than losing a big one.

On RP AA is not such a powerful hand, because pots are eventually won with the hand better than one pair. Because so many people go to the flop, it is entirely possible that all four suits are covered, so that anytime that three cards of one suit appear out of five, there will be somebody who has a flush.

A solution is to develop skills in diagnosing the likely hands held by opponents based on their betting patterns. You flop a nice hand in a 5-way pot and you make a pot-size bet. You are flat called by two players. Now ask yourself what kinds of hands they might be calling with, and what flop cards could have improved their hands. If the flop is two-suited, and a third card of the same suit falls on the turn and an opponent places a big bet, what does he have? It could be a flush, a set, or if the board is paired, then a boat.

I was playing for several hours yesterday and I saw at least three hands in which a player had AA and slow played the flop, then shoved the river and was stacked by a player who had turned a flush or straight. When will they ever learn?

I also stacked a player in the following manner. I raised from position with 3-6 suited and was called by BB. I flopped two pairs. There were two diamonds on the flop. On the turn came the three of diamonds giving me a boat. BB shoved in a massive 9 million chip overbet, triumphantly turning over AT of diamonds. I accepted the donation. That’s RP.

1 Like

@ReadySet
Welcome back, and I wish you every success with your re-branding. If my recall is as good as I believe it to be, your next gripes should be. “I see patterns in the cards that are impossible”, “I can’t win an all-in” followed by “I can’t win with 2 pair”. Some wild dude that plays poker will agree with you and start posting similar nonsense. AND… the merry-go-round starts again.
As I, and several others, have suggested before, record and analyse 10,000 consecutive hands. (That’s basic minimum to show a pattern or deviation from the norm). Present evidence, rather than rhetoric.

The river thing is amazing in Replay Poker in the all in. Take what you take, I’ll end up losing against very bad hands. Frustrating and disappointing!! In real poker those hands are hardly given, here always.

[image]