Puzzlers and Games

I added the 1 with the 2 to get the 3 then added 3 with the 2 to get 5 so then if I take 5 and add 2 I get 7 … that seemed like a good guess.

1 Like

There’s an infinite quantity of numbers.

All of them except the positive integers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 are missing, and it stipulates that 6 is to be excluded. Therefore, an infinite number of numbers, both positive and negative, and integers and decimals are all missing.

I will list them all once I find the eternity required.

2 Likes

The answer is 42. (and SPG - I don’t think it would have taken you an eternity - I’m guessing about 7.5 million years is about right)

They can claim the answer is “R” as it does match a standard 5-speed shift pattern - but the problem is they asked what “number” is missing. “R” is clearly not a number. If the question had been phrased as “what is missing” or "fill in the blank (and replace the “?” with “____”), “R” would be a valid answer.

But they didn’t.

So it’s not.

And therefore, I stick with “42.” (I guess I could get cute and go with “18,” but no - it’s certainly “42”)

1 Like

@JanCee

Hi Jan. Do we know the correct answer yet or did Maria Shriver make a mistake ?

The feed under this puzzle shows no correction of approved answer “R” but also shows lots of umbrage! I will watch for a retraction, justification–anything and share if there is anything. Some say it’s an appropriate puzzle to trigger flexible thinking, but most say mo way R qualifies as a number.

1 Like

Ok thank you Jan.

Found this riddle on german and english pages. Answer is R for reverse. On this pages it is asked for … what is missing. If that, the answer is possible. Not correct in every case. :wink:

They find it hard to solve because most Americans are used to automatic transmission.

2 Likes

Most of us also distinguish between numbers and letters. lol Thanks, John Little!

1 Like

Family Stone, Jingle Bell Rock, Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree, Grandma got run over by a Reindeer, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

1 Like

First prize to you today, Craig! I know nothing about “The Family Stone.” I guess that means I’m out of touch?

1 Like

Yay :grin:!!! Thank you thank you. Can I have another one please ? I’m so bored laying in this hospital bed. You never saw the Family Stone ? Great Holiday movie with a huge cast you know already.
Claire Danes, Sarah Jessica Parker, Diane Keaton, and Rachel McAdams to name a few. You’ll love it :+1:t2:

Craig, here are some puzzles. Warning: I haven’t seen the answers, just the questions!

1. When I was 6, my brother was half my age. Now I’m 30, how old is my brother?

2. I am controlled by your hands and feet. I would be nothing without a street. What am I?

3. How high would you have to count before you would use the letter A in the English language spelling of a whole number?

4. When I take 5 and add six, I get eleven, but when I take six and add seven, I get one. What am I?

5. A man comes home from work and says, “Hone, I’m home.” The microwave is on, defrosting a chicken dinner. From the bedroom, his wife shouts out, “Hi, Sweetie. Could you have a look at the microwave and tell me how much time there’s left? He immediately runs out and calls 911, informing them that his wife’s in danger. Why??

6. I have a head and a tail but no body. What am I?

7. A man went around the world in a ship. Yet he was always in sight of land. How is that possible?

8. I am 4 times as old as my daughter. In 20 years time I shall be twice as old as her. How old are we now?

9. If 3 boys can eat 3 burgers in 3 minutes, how many burgers will 10 boys eat in 10 minutes?

10. Two in the bedroom, one in a house, but none in the kitchen. What am I?

11. A monkey, a sloth, and a squirrel are climbing an apple tree to get a coconut. Which animal gets to the coconut first?

12. Which letter of the alphabet has the most water?

13. A small number of cards has been lost from a complete pack. If I deal among 4 people, 3 cards remain. If I deal among 3 people, 2 remain. If I deal among 5 people, 2 cards remain. How many cards are there?

14. You’re rummaging around your great-grandmother’s attic when you find five short chains each made of four gold links. It occurs to you that if you combined them all into one big loop of 20 links, you’d have an incredible necklace. So you bring it into a jeweler, who tells you the cost of making the necklace will be $10 for each gold link that she has to break and then reseal. How much will it cost?

15. Can you crack the code and unlock the lock?
    Enter code ___ ___ ___
    276 One number is correct but wrongly placed
    387 No number is correct
    368 One number is correct and well placed
    471 Two numbers are correct but wrongly placed.

2 Likes

I have in moment 8:

1: 27
2: car
4: clock
8: 10 + 40
9: 33.3
13: 47
14: $50
15: 164

The next 2:

3: 1000
10: the letter “o”

[spoiler] 1. 27
2. Car
3. One Thousand
4. A Clock
5. Husband is blind
6. A coin
7. He was in a spaceship
8. I am 40 and my daughter is 10
9. 100 burgers
10. The letter o
11. None because you can’t get a coconut from an apple tree
12. The letter C
13. 47 cards
14. $50
15. 164

Whew :disappointed_relieved: that took a few hours. Thank you Jan, I hope they are all correct. Let me know please. I need a nap :sleeping:[/spoiler]

1 Like

I don’t have the answers! I’ll look for them tomorrow. The ones you’ve provided look mostly good. I have a couple of questions, though. Stay tuned and get better! I’ll try to post more for you.

1 Like

Agree on most of above answers but would suggest 2 alternates

3) one hundred and one
9) 33 burgers

Morning Jan, ok thank you :+1:t2: no hurry. I appreciate you taking the time to post that for me.