Puzzlers and Games

How high would you have to count before you would use the letter A in the English language spelling of a whole number?

(And) is not the spelling of a whole number.

Same thing with the answer 1000. The spelling of the whole number is one thousand.
————————————————-
If 3 boys can eat 3 burgers in 3 minutes, how many burgers will 10 boys eat in 10 minutes?

That means each boy can eat a burger in one minute . 10 boys , 10 minutes equals 100 burgers.

Actually the question is very vague because the unknown is if the 3 boys are combined eaters or individual eaters.

If the question “3 boys can eat 3 burgers in 3 minutes” means each boy can eat 3 burgers in 3 minutes then would be the right answer 10. Each boy can eat 10 burgers in 10 minutes. Not 100.
I say 33 is right.
Waiting for Jan.

Congratulations all who played! I agree with 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13,14, and 15.

I am torn over the answers to 5 and 9. It’s creative to suggest that the man is blind in answer to #5, but I don’t see how that makes it reasonable for him to call for paramedics. My limitation here, I am sure! As for the boys eating hamburgers, I feel certain they are all three eating one each, adding up to three burgers in three minutes. I want to say the answer is 30, though, because I don’t think we’re adding in the first three eaten in the first three minutes. I think we’re starting over. What am I missing in this one?

I have never posted the puzzles from this particular page because they don’t provide the answers, ever! So–we’re on our own.

Well played, all. It’s usually language that screws up word problems, right? I’ll look for more, Craig. How long are you stuck there?

1 Like

3 boys 3 burgers 3 minutes. Only 3 burgers were eaten. That means each boy ate 1 burger and it took them 3 minutes to do so. 1 boy could eat 3.3 burgers in 10 minutes. 10 boys eat 33 burgers
English spelling would be one hundred and one so it is part of a whole number. American spelling would be one hundred one so not. Question is for English spelling

1 Like

Answer 5

The husband is blind, so the wife would not ask him to look and tell her how much time is left because she knows he can’t see.

But now wife asked him to, meaning that there is something unusual going on. So, the husband calls the police because he thinks she’s in danger because of the unusual behaviour.

Answer 9

Posted on the internet in the year 2016 from the meat company that wrote the riddle.

Soooo clever! I concede to everything. Well played, Craig.

1 Like

Question says 3 burgers in 3 minutes not 3 burgers each in 3 minutes. 3 burgers each would be 9 burgers in 3 minutes. Only 3 burgers were eaten by the 3 boys so thats one burger each and it took 3minutes. It takes 3 minutes for each boy to eat 1 burger. Thats 1 minute of time per boy to eat one third of a burger.
10 boys will eat 10 thirds per minute for 10 minutes. That’s 100 thirds of a burger or 33 & a third burgers. Question asked how many burgers so the answer is 33 complete burgers.

The original question does not say 3 burgers each as in Craigs version. It says 3 boys 3 burgers 3 minutes. The word each was not in the original question so does not apply.

2 Likes

1 boy can eat 3 burgers in 3 minutes is right,
3 boys can eat 3 burgers in 3 minutes is right,
and 3 boys can eat 9 burgers in 3 minutes is right too.

And the next number after 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 is not 6, it is R.

Very nice this Brain Teasers.

1 Like

@Poki65

R is not a number it is a letter.

1 Like

Sorry if the correct answer bugs anyone. It just happens to be correct so I’ll go with that. Oh well, never mind, Merry New Year…

2 Likes

Thank you Jan :+1:t2: great thread.

1 Like

And so will I.

Look at it this way…

It takes me 3 minutes to eat a burger. If someone in Chicago is also eating one, and someone from New York is eating one too, it still takes me 3 minutes to eat mine.

I don’t get faster at eating because others are eating too. So 3 people eat 3 burgers in 3 minutes, 10 people eat 10 burgers in 3 minutes. A million people eat a million burgers in 3 minutes. Time is not dependent on the number of people eating.

If we increase the time, the rate doesn’t change, so 10 people eat 33 burgers in 10 minutes.

3 Likes

Kenny Chesnut ate 108 hamburgers in 8 minutes. Just sayin…:hamburger::joy::joy:

2 Likes

1 Like

I’m in the bathroom puking just at the thought of this.

1 Like

40 cents. 20 cents per vowel.

1 Like

There are 2 options. 20 cents for each vowel (40 cents for the pear). Or add 20 cents for each word as it increases alphabetically ($1.00 for the pear).

1 Like

Wow! Great options here! I think we have a tie for first place. I’ll go now and see which answer Maria Shriver thinks is correct.

2 Likes

What weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?

Answer…

A pound of feathers weighs more.

Answer explained…

Precious metals are measured in Troy ounces. Although a troy ounce is about 9% heavier than a standard ounce, there are only 12 Troy ounces in a Troy pound, not 16 like a standard pound.

Thus, a pound of feathers weighs more than a pound of gold.

1 Like

If 5 men dig 10 holes in 15 days, how long does it take 1 man to dig half a hole?