Pets We Had or Have

I’m so sorry you’ve lost Damien…your closest friend and confidant.

Our relationships with our dogs can be closer, and sometimes far better, than relationships with other people. They give us unconditional love and support. They don’t ask questions. They don’t judge us. They make us laugh. I believe it’s natural to feel deep loss and pain when we lose a very special member of our lives.

When I lost my yorkie 5 years ago, I was devastated. Crying all the time…and swearing I’d never have another dog. It hurt too much to lose them. I found a website that makes crystal keepsakes using favorite photos. I had a Christmas ornament made at another site. (He loved to lay under the Christmas tree…moving gifts out of his way.) To this day…I talk to him and his brother every day. I have photos of them hanging on the wall.

We talk often about our little buddies and the silly and funny things that they did. They definitely left their paw prints on our hearts.

The two boys pictured in my profile are just turning 4 years old. I obviously caved and added new little ones to my family. They are NOT replacements. Nothing can replace the boys we lost, but they do add new love and laughter to our hearts. Yes, one day we will face more loss…so we treat each day as a precious gift.

It’s okay to cry, my friend. It’s okay to grieve the loss of your dear friend. Find an online support group…Facebook has a few. Tell some stories of Damien and his life. He will ALWAYS be an important part of your life. :paw_prints: :paw_prints: :heart:

1 Like

Thank you will_lira and cmdealin. I had always wanted a Siberian Husky, but finding one in my area was almost impossible. It took me 2 years of looking to find one when the opportunity presented itself to adopt a 7 year old and the rest is history, as they say.

1 Like

" I had always wanted a Siberian Husky, but finding one in my area was almost impossible. "

I never owned a dog but here’s a story about a Siberian Husky in my neighborhood.

On a quiet Sunday morning getting the paper by the curb, I noticed a loose Siberian Husky

headed my way. He had his head down sniffing as he meandered each front yard.

Friendly enough and a bit tired from the stroll through the neighborhood.

He entered the house as if he owned it and immediately laid down next to the refrigerator.

After a snack and some water, he was sleeping.

I called Animal Control, and he was picked up without any problem.

I remember his eyes being different colors, one blue and one green.

About two years later, I was out front of the house and from the same direction as before,

that same husky was headed my way. lol

So, when you mentioned, "… but finding one in my area was almost impossible "

Triggered a memory!

Animal control was called again, and the rest is history!

To lose a pet is h heartbreaking, but to lose a support friend, buddy, companion is beyond comprehension. People can delay replacing a pet, but a support dog not so much.
Through the pain and sorrow, I encourage you and hope and pray that you find a suitable companion soon.
Would not Damien understand and encourage this?
Wishing the best.

Hi all this is Moose Let me give you a little background on him 1st and foremost he belongs to good friends of mine who took him on after he had been left locked in a tiny room upstairs in a house being fed whenever his owners went in. b4 that the breeder kept him locked in a 5ft x 3ft cage with another dog for near on first 9 months of life! I tell you this because Moose is regarded as a most dangerous breed here in the UK American XL Bully and is not allowed out of the house without a muzzle on and being double leashed hence why I have two on, regardless of time of day. My mate’s back garden has had to have 6ft secure fencing all around and any gates must be locked at all times. CRAZY CRAZY people and I will not even get on about the insurance!!
When they 1st took him in he was as would be expected skittish around people and any sudden movements he cowered raise your voice to him and he recoiled trying to get him to walk on a leash for the 1st time in however long was a nightmare. Now almost 2 years on he is a different dog completely knowing this and knowing how strong he is I guess if he did go psycho there would be no stopping him but here is the point(finally) Moose through all his misgivings in his short life is the warmest most loving caring dog you could wish to meet granted he must get to know folk 1st but when he does it is like being transported into a world of love and affection licks (and loads of slaver) lol so why cannot the powers to be start putting aside what they think they know about breeds and see the animal for how it is and not what it is

1 Like

Hi @Pilot704,

So sorry about your friend and companion, Damien passing away. The first week when we lost our pup Chipper was the hardest, particularly the first 24 hours. Prior to our Chip passing away, he was very sick and was on constant medication and I have set alarms on my phone. His first dosage was at 5am. The next day after he passed, that alarm went off, and I woke up, prepared his medication, as usual. I was so confused then because I can’t find him and was looking around. It took me a moment to realize that Chipper went to sleep the day before in the vet clinic while he was in my arms. We went home without him, and we went to bed without him - starting that day, we’d be waking up without him. That realization hurts the most, and it’s been years but there are moments that still trigger and break me down. It’s ok to cry, no one can replace our precious pets, but time helps a lot. I don’t think I can ever love another dog because of the heart break, but our family has so much love to give and we opened our home to another pup, who just brings so much joy to our family.

I am wishing you peace and comfort during this difficult time.

1 Like

I want to thank Excaliburns, mrzick, TonyMason and Chipsmama for your kind posts regarding Damien. Your words were so touching that it brought me to tears. I am so sorry for your losses. Waking up everyday and not seeing his head on my bed trying to get me up, is when it became real and I have not stopped crying every morning since. Again, thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your kindness.

2 Likes

@Pilot704 I know that pain so well. I know words are only that and nothing I say can take your pain away, especially since it’s very recent, but Damien felt all your love everyday. When I read your post, I said a little prayer to Chipper to greet him by the rainbow bridge. :rainbow:

Wishing you all of the peace and healing right now. :heart:

Thank you chipsmama. Damien and I were always together, whether inside or outside. It is hard to get through a day without crying. Remnants of him are everywhere. My other Siberian Husky knows there is someone missing. Dakota is 2 years old. I am trying to get Dakota through all this too. Thank you again for your prayers.

2 Likes

In My Youth Our family bought a Green and Yellow Mexican Amazon parrot from a huge Wal-mart where he was picked on and harassed. Had a real attitude. After many months He would get on My finger and be nice for a minute or two… I had some friends stay overnite and in Morning I let “Fred” out of his cage and onto My finger. All of a sudden He reached out and grabbed Me by the philtrum… “Flap between nostrils” and He had Me and knew it. He was breathing hard and fast and started to vocalize loudly. I went over to His cage and He slowly brought one foot then other onto cage. He let go of Me and Sang loudly for another half-minute. Everyone had a good laugh especially Ol Fred…

2 Likes

@Gulf_gator Your story brought tears to my eyes! First for your pain…then laughter! :wink:

Your story reminded me of a Cockatiel we had. His name was Tweety. At breakfast he would ride my husband’s or son’s shoulder to the table. If we were having pop tarts, he would climb off of their shoulder and walk across the table to get to the frosting of a pop tart. He loved the frosting only. At night…around 9pm he would leave my husband’s shoulder and walk across the couch to the table with his cage. He would climb in and perch. Bed time.

It’s amazing to discover our pets’ personalities. They truly become a part of the family! It’s no wonder we miss them terribly and remember them fondly.

1 Like

I want to thank all of you for the kind words and stories that you sent to me with respect to the death of my big boy Damien. Your words touched my heart and are helping me get through this.
For that, I am eternally grateful to you all. Thank you.